Fremont power plant canal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aspen View Post
    Where is there public access? I would love to find somewhere closer to home to winter fly fish!
    It's basically a county road ditch until you get east near the sewer treatment plant.

Comment

It's just right along the road. Many power plant vehicles went in and out, they looked at me like it was a normal sight. I did however stay on the south side of the ditch, signs on the little overpasses say no trespassing, so I just didn't cross the signs to be sure. I drove around to the east side of the tracks and walked a lot of that stretch too, but the steam faded and there was runoff water pouring in so I'm guessing the water isn't as warm the farther east you go. Barely saw any fish the farther east I went, tiny carp and sunfish. That water near the plant must be very warm, those fish felt like hand warmers when I was taking the hooks out.

There were plenty of fish there and it is nice to open water fish in winter, I got out my fly rod before I left, easy casting and the sunfish are easy to catch, but unless you want to catch sunfish, smallish Commons, or just try something new, it may not be worth the drive. I plan to go again this summer to see if different fish migrate back up.

Comment

Guess I'll post a few pics if it helps anyone wanting to go while they wait for safe ice. Didn't want to burn a spot too bad for someone, but I really don't think it would upset anyone. It seems like more of a just unique place to go try than a honey hole.

The 2 goldfish I saw in bottom pic along with countless carp you can't really see, and video of some commons is sort of hard to see but you should be able to see them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190105_171424.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1220908

Name:	20190105_171409.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1220909

Name:	20190105_105824.jpg