Fremont power plant canal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fremont power plant canal

Has any one fished the discharge canal from the Fremont power station? Runs from Fremont to the Elkhorn river. Never ices over. No good ice locally so looking for somewhere to fish. Thanks.

Fun place to fly fish – lots of carp, gar, catfish, goldfish, along with some small bass and green sunfish. For some reason, the employees there don’t like it when you fish near the bridge. Haven’t fished it during the winter, though.

Comment

Looks promising to me. Never fished it tho.

Comment

WOW, that brings back some memories. Fished it back in the late 70's. From what I can recall it was shallow and clear, so we always fished it at night. Nothing huge but always a wide range, always surprised of what came out of there.
        Yall aint from round here is you?

Comment

If I’m remembering correctly does then water have an odor to it? One night we ran into so girls from Fremont, at a burger joint that actual talked to us until they got a whiff of us 😂

Comment

It’s a drainage ditch, so water levels and quality varies. When low, the water is clear and the bowfishers pressure the carp so that they’re as skittish as a rabbit in hawk country. It is generally shallow but there are pools that are deceptively deep.

Comment

Gave it a shot. Low water level. Very clear. Lottof fish but they took off like a shot if I got anywhere close. It would probably be a good place for a minnow trap. Better than sitting at home.

Comment

I live less than a block away. There are usually a variety of fish that setup in the hole just on the downstream side of the bridge less than 20 yds where the warm water from the power plant dumps in. I've only walked around in the spring but if I was a fish this time of year I'd think I'd be near the warmest water possible.
                I love catching bass. Every MA is like a participation trophy from mother nature!

Comment

• bigjigs
                  bigjigs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The species I've seen or caught are gar, channel cat, creek chubs, green sunfish, common and grass carp.

When I was a kid, there was a catfish farm connected to that ditch. An older friend of mine said that he used to catch pickerel as a kid, but I’ve never seen those. I always thought it would be fun if g&p would stock a few hundred trout in there during the fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Gar View Post
                  When I was a kid, there was a catfish farm connected to that ditch.
                  The guy that had that catfish farm attempted to raise his catfish in the warmer water being discharged from the power plant. Sometime in the mid 1970's the power plant shut down for a while during the winter and sudden change in water temperature from the warm water to the cold water killed all his fish. He went out of business after that incident.

ClearCreek

Comment

Now that you bring up the catfish farm, did he have some get away from him and end up in the discharge creek? Seems to me that’s why we where fishing it back then. Would have been 1975 76ish.

Comment

I heard that there was often a bunch of catfish that would congregate on the outside of the fencing separating the ditch from the farm, as the fish wanted to get in and get fed.

Comment

I’m a fly fisher from Omaha who targets carp (catch and release) and am very interested in this for winter fishing. I’ll gladly trade someone a bottle of Knob Creek whisky to show me where there’s carp there. Send me a message if interested. I have off this Friday and Saturday.

Comment

I went this morning quickly, first time. Cool spot, very clear water, shallower than I expected. Caught a crazy amount of Green sunfish, kept weeding them out hoping something else would be in there, and 2 small Bluegill. Saw hundreds of Common Carp, some Bluegill, lots of Green Sunfish, couple dozen Largemouth Bass, a few small Channel Catfish, and 2 small goldfish. Thanks for pointing it out, fun to fish somewhere different like that for a change.

Comment

Where is there public access? I would love to find somewhere closer to home to winter fly fish!

Comment

Working...
                            X