No announcement yet.

Fishing forcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s my point... I teach AP statistics. One huge no no is to create misleading graphs.

If I don’t see the name of my favorite lake on the list, I want to know why. No fish? Wasn’t sampled?

If ngpc is only sampling certain lakes and putting putting them on the list, it creates the APPEARANCE that lakes not on the list do not have fish.

Comment

If there weren't any fish sampled in a lake then it would be on the graph with no bar next to it. If its not there it wasn't sampled. There's nothing misleading about any of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Springer owner View Post
        That’s my point... I teach AP statistics. One huge no no is to create misleading graphs.

If I don’t see the name of my favorite lake on the list, I want to know why. No fish? Wasn’t sampled?

If ngpc is only sampling certain lakes and putting putting them n othe list, it creates the APPEARANCE that lakes not on the list do not have fish.
        As a teacher, you should also know to read beyond the introduction. The annual fishing forecast is kind of like a chapter summary. Main points and highlights of what is covered in another more detailed report. Cliff's Notes

The fishing forecast doesn't equal the fish sampling report. Even there you won't find the minutia that you seem to expect. Since you joined in 2009, Daryl has stated time and again that not every water body is sampled, not every fish is targeted. There are an infinite number of factors that might influence data collected... Weather conditions, water levels and differences in seasonal progression year to year are natural variables, just as budgets, equipment and manpower availability are human influenced factors. Sampling data on lakes should only be compared to data on the same lake, and even then interpreted with a grain of salt.

The basis of each graph is clearly labeled (per trap net, per hour of electrofishing...)
        " A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack." - Wang Chi

Comment

If ngpc is only sampling certain lakes and putting putting them on the list, it creates the APPEARANCE that lakes not on the list do not have fish.
          G&P does a great job sampling lakes and providing us with annual results. Sorry that's not enough for you, Mr. AP statistics teacher.

Comment

I guess the way I look at it, the graphs aren't misleading. For a graph to be misleading it would have to misrepresent the fish population in the lake associated with that graph, but that's not the case here.

I also don't feel because a lake is not listed it gives the appearance that lake does not have fish, though if a person has never seen the yearly fishing forecast and didn't know they've existed, they may wonder about a lake not showing up the first time they find the forecast. But then they may sit back and think about it for a bit and realize the G&P cannot sample every lake every year, so each year's forecast is for the lakes they were able to sample that year. They could then confirm this by looking back at previous forecasts to see what lakes were sampled in those years.

In my case I look at the forecast each year and thank God my favorite lake didn't make the list that year. If fact I heard my favorite lake was sampled last summer, yet I don't see it on the list. Now there's a conspiracy for you.
            Whoever said cats always land on their feet wasn't throwing them right.-Anonymous

Comment

• whitetips
              whitetips commented
              Editing a comment
              What lake was that?

Daryl B.

• nehunter88
              nehunter88 commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice try. LOL

Let's just say I talked to someone who said he had to help the guys that were sampling the lake. But I didn't see it on this years list of lakes.

If you'd like to send me a PM we can talk about it.

The PDF File (2019 Forecast) is messed up, hope it didn't go to print that way..........

Comment

• whitetips
              whitetips commented
              Editing a comment
              It did not go to print that way.

I immediately told someone that the graphs were not right.

Waiting for it to be fixed.

Daryl B.

Just curious. When are the Fish Sampling reports from 2018 going to be posted?

Comment

Originally posted by DS13 View Post
              Just curious. When are the Fish Sampling reports from 2018 going to be posted?
              The first ones will be posted any day now. Waiting on web masters.

Daryl B.
              Daryl Bauer
              Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
              Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
              daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
              http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Looking forward to getting a hard copy at the ice fishing clinic in Kearney Saturday....

Comment

Originally posted by bluelund View Post
                  Looking forward to getting a hard copy at the ice fishing clinic in Kearney Saturday....
                  Hard copies were delivered yesterday, I will have a pile with me on Saturday!

Daryl B.
                  Daryl Bauer
                  daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov

Comment

• bluelund
                    bluelund commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Knew you would come through!!! Now we just have to make sure the clinic doesn’t get snowed out.

Was any sampling done at Olive Creek after the fish kill? Do they know what survived?
                  NEMUDHOLANGLR

Comment

Originally posted by Miltoid View Post
                    Was any sampling done at Olive Creek after the fish kill? Do they know what survived?
                    That was a tragedy. Hoping the fish in Olive Creek can bounce back.

Comment

The kill sucked. I was waiting on those saugeye to grow a bit bigger
                      " A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack." - Wang Chi

Comment

Originally posted by Miltoid View Post
                        They did enough sampling to know that the kill was NOT complete. There are still some good panfish there.

Daryl B.
                        Daryl Bauer
                        daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov

Comment

Originally posted by whitetips View Post

They did enough sampling to know that the kill was NOT complete. There are still some good panfish there.

Daryl B.
                          GREAT NEWS!

Comment

Working...
                          X