Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
    http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Can't wait, love looking at this data.
      >*)))))><

Comment

Im curious to see that flatty results from BO.. Last year wasnt a good year

Comment

The 2019 forecast is up on the NGPC website. Kinda goofy reading some of it as the page split goes right through a couple of graphs. But still good information.

Comment

Found this online, the only issue can't seem to zoom.

http://digital.outdoornebraska.gov/i...forecast/0?m4=

Comment

• Jthod
              Jthod commented
              Editing a comment
              double click on the page

• Catchandrelease1966
              Editing a comment
              There you go! Thanks

I wish they'd quit sampling the Louisville lakes for bass. I think they trap every fish in those lakes every year, and it throws the scale off for the rest of the lakes and makes me feel like I should be fishing those...

Comment

• adamhanna
              adamhanna commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you think Louisville isn’t worth fishing then??

There are some display issues with the on-line version of the 2019 Fishing Forecast. We are aware of them, working on them.

Daryl B.
            Daryl Bauer
            daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov

Comment

whitetips Curious on how you select which lakes to highlight based on species of fish? The narrative mentions Iron Horse Trail for largemouth bass, however, on the next page showing the samplings, Iron Horse Trail doesn't appear to stand out in my observation of the data. What other variables do you consider when associating locations to a species of fish.

I also think it is important to thank you and all of the fisheries crew for the work they do!
              Iowa State!

@JimVanBruggen

Comment

Originally posted by frogmanjim View Post
                whitetips Curious on how you select which lakes to highlight based on species of fish? The narrative mentions Iron Horse Trail for largemouth bass, however, on the next page showing the samplings, Iron Horse Trail doesn't appear to stand out in my observation of the data. What other variables do you consider when associating locations to a species of fish.

I also think it is important to thank you and all of the fisheries crew for the work they do!
                Look inside the numbers.

Obviously, from year to year waters highlighted in the Fishing Forecast are only the waters that were sampled for that year, and then I spend some time looking inside the data, comparing one waterbody to another. For a species like largemouth bass where we sample so many waters from one corner of the state to the other, I try to highlight a number of different waters in a number of different areas.

Speaking of Iron Horse Trail in particular, note I say in the text that the best waters for 15-inch and larger largemouth bass are NOT necessarily the waters where we sample the most largemouth bass. So yes, on the chart, Iron Horse Trail is down the y-axis a ways, but comparing the number of 15-inch+ bass that were sampled to the total bass sampled on that waterbody, Iron Horse ranks right up there.

Oh, and I hear things. I know Iron Horse has been producing some very good bass fishing in recent years.

Also, that is exactly why we publish the graphs! We only have so much room to mention by name a few waterbodies, but you can study the graphs and make your own picks!

Daryl B.
                Last edited by whitetips; 01-08-2019, 12:22 PM.
                Daryl Bauer
                daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov

Comment

Just a curious question, Mr. whitetips, how often (if ever) is the "upper" Missouri River sampled for walleye, bass, paddlefish, sturgeon, etc? Above and/or below Gavins.

Comment

Originally posted by creekychub View Post
                    Just a curious question, Mr. whitetips, how often (if ever) is the "upper" Missouri River sampled for walleye, bass, paddlefish, sturgeon, etc? Above and/or below Gavins.
                    In the river itself? We have an entire research crew on the Missouri River that is mostly working with paddlefish and sturgeon, all the time.

We do some bass sampling on the river itself and might have that expanding in the future.

Most of the walleye and sauger sampling would be done in Lewis & Clark.

Daryl B.
                    Daryl Bauer
                    daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov

Comment

When will last years data for this be updated: http://outdoornebraska.gov/fishsamplingreports/ This gives one even better insight IMHO.
                      >*)))))><

Comment

• whitetips
                        whitetips commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Will start soon, very soon.

Daryl B.

Originally posted by bluefox213 View Post
                      When will last years data for this be updated: http://outdoornebraska.gov/fishsamplingreports/ This gives one even better insight IMHO.
                      Please describe the difference between these 2 reports. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by pelican View Post

Please describe the difference between these 2 reports. Thanks!
                        The annual fishing forecast is an overview of all the fisheries that were sampled across the state, somewhat of a comparison between waterbodies.

The sampling reports "bluefox" is referring to are more detailed, individual waterbody reports.

Daryl B.
                        Daryl Bauer
                        daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov

Comment

One thing I find misleading about these graphs is the fact that a number of waters are not sampled, and thus not included as part of the report. This make it appear that a specific lake has zero of fish type “x”, when it could be full of them. It’s simply that the lake was not sampled for fish “x” or not sampled for any fish at all.

so my two questions are...

1. Is there a list somewhere of lakes that were not sampled, or do we just assume if a lake does not appear In the bar graph then it was not sampled? For instance, victory lake in Fremont does not show up on the walleye bar graph. (I do realize it has few if any walleye). Does this mean it was not sampled for walleye or that it does not have walleye?

2. Were any of the fremont lakes sampled?

Comment

• 4allfish
                            4allfish commented
                            Editing a comment
                            No state, that I am aware of, surveys every lake, every year. You can check previous sample years and might find the information. Not all fish species and all lakes are surveyed every year. The fishing guide list species found in the lakes in the state.
                        Working...
                        X