Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If You Build It, He Will Come

Papio NRD begins work on new reservoirs
    Construction is underway for two new recreation areas in western Papillion.

Two more ponds? I guess maybe they will take a little pressure off of some other lakes, but If they're going to spend our tax proceeds I sure wish PMRNRD would build something of worthwhile size.

Comment

• C.N.
      C.N. commented
      Editing a comment
      I DO know you like to complain constantly.

• creekychub
      creekychub commented
      Editing a comment
      The FEMA maps have been updated in the last 30 years to include all of the development of west O and planned development of the entire papio watershed (which you OBVIOUSLY know) . Without those flood control "silt ponds", any significant "flood event" could severely impact low lying property owners in western Papillion/LaVista.

• piscatorious
      piscatorious commented
      Editing a comment
      I am quite aware of the last couple of updates. Some of these proposed impoundments are being constructed to correct development blunders that were allowed to happen over the last twenty years. Check with some of the (not so) happy developers, home builders and owners that were allowed to develop and build in areas where the FIRM was later revised and lenders then required Flood Insurance. Now the tax payers get to pay to fix the screw ups. Our government operating at its best.

Originally posted by piscatorious View Post
    Two more ponds? I guess maybe they will take a little pressure off of some other lakes, but If they're going to spend our tax proceeds I sure wish PMRNRD would build something of worthwhile size.
    Just to clarify: these are flood control structures, intended to control storm runoff in the Papio Creek system downstream. A secondary benefit is recreation. Fortunately, G&P steps up to provide a fishery and other amenities.

Comment

Originally posted by pelican View Post

Just to clarify: these are flood control structures, intended to control storm runoff in the Papio Creek system downstream. A secondary benefit is recreation. Fortunately, G&P steps up to provide a fishery and other amenities.
      That is what they claim, and yes, thanks to NG&P they will be limited fisheries. The flood control aspect propaganda, though, is debatable, especially with a few of these proposed smaller silt ponds. Controlled development would have eliminated most justification had Food Plain and Storm Water regulations been followed over the last three decades.

Comment

• C.N.
        C.N. commented
        Editing a comment
        No one on the forum but you will understand. WOW, you think very highly of yourself????? Lonely aren't you.

• piscatorious
        piscatorious commented
        Editing a comment
        Trying to get me all riled up by fabricating a meaning of my thoughts, words or intentions isn't going to work, so you might as well save your time & breath.

• C.N.
        C.N. commented
        Editing a comment
        Blah

I know its all political but why does not Washington county step up and build a couple sizeable reservoirs ?

Comment

• fisherE
        fisherE commented
        Editing a comment
        Some of it has to do with where they are located in the drainage area.
        As much (or more) of it has to do with the fact that the creek up there isn't surrounded with impervious surfaces (parking lots/streets/rooftops) and the rain has somewhere to soak in (farm fields), not just run straight off into a creek.

• jlehn
        jlehn commented
        Editing a comment
        makes sense.
        I also suppose that being further north the drainage may not support a larger reservoir

• EsoxHaderach
        EsoxHaderach commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t think sizable reservoirs would benefit us as much as small reservoirs and improvements along the Missouri River. Big reservoirs just destroy healthy habitats and cut off migration routes for the sake our recreation. There are plenty of good waters near by and it doesn’t take that long to get to the bigger reservoirs out west.

I'm all for more flood control "propaganda".
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Alex jones.gif
Views:	20
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	1219645
      As long as "propaganda" means more fishing opportunities and lower potential of catastrophic flooding .

Comment

Originally posted by jlehn View Post
        I know its all political but why does not Washington county step up and build a couple sizeable reservoirs ?
        Because there is a large contingency of landowners and farmers in Washington County that are adamantly opposed to ANY sizeable dam project.
        Some of the arguments are that it will take out too much farmland, decreasing tax revenue to local schools, and it would flood roads that are needed for emergency personnel. Personally I believe that if a large flood control/recreation dam (on the order of Wanahoo) was done on the papio or bell creek it would provide an amazing new economic benefit to Washington County greatly increase property value which would eclipse any loss in farmland tax base. But what do I know I am just a dumb city kid. A large dam on the papio in Washington county coupled with an aggressive buffer and soil erosion push in the watershed would END all major flooding in Omaha.

Comment

Originally posted by creekychub View Post
          I'm all for more flood control "propaganda".
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Alex jones.gif
Views:	20
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	1219645
          As long as "propaganda" means more fishing opportunities and lower potential of catastrophic flooding .
          If they were worried about catastrophic flooding more would be done on the missouri river. It isnt unlikely that we will have more floods like 2011 or worse. This year the Missouri river flooded twice or more within about 30 miles north and south of omaha. I dont even want to think about what would happen if the platte river seriously floods again around columbus or elkhorn. But more should be done but no agency wants to tackle that issue. It's to pricey and would turn into a major politcal and environmental battle even if ways to reduce or possibly eliminate the negative impacts are brought into the equation. I wonder if what the nrd is doing with these small flood control ponds is more for show than actually doing something that can save billions of dollars durring a single flood. This is just my opinion
          Fishing is a dream so I dream often

Comment

• EsoxHaderach
            EsoxHaderach commented
            Editing a comment
            There are quite a few projects along the Missouri that are only accessible via the river. The farmland is so valuable though that large scale projects are super expensive and meet with a lot of resistance.

Facts or propaganda. It all depends on your choice of hat.
          Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

• C.N.
            C.N. commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for the article. Most of us realize that flooding is still an ongoing issue.

Originally posted by Flicted View Post
          Facts or propaganda. It all depends on your choice of hat.
          Interesting how nearly all of the developed areas affected by theoretical days 2 & 3 were undeveloped in the mid '70s when the original FIS, FIRM & Floodway maps were created and adopted. When was the last time that any of those areas were actually inundated? We will, though, continue, as tax payers, to add water retention ponds to mitigate development in marginal areas that should never have been developed. Oh well. Thankfully, NG&P is helping by adding some limited fishing into the mix.

Comment

Am I the only one on this fishing discussion board that is happy to have more fishing opportunities in the Omaha area?

Comment

Originally posted by DS13 View Post
              Am I the only one on this fishing discussion board that is happy to have more fishing opportunities in the Omaha area?
              Exactly! Glad you view the glass half full.

Comment

Development is going to happen flood plain or not. Developers see dollar signs and the landowners see dollar signs.

I live in the general area and appreciate the effort and would rather have my tax dollars go to these projects than my tax dollars paying for the medical care for a criminal that shot at a cop.

Also like the fact that one will be kayak / canoe only.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenai King View Post
                  Development is going to happen flood plain or not. Developers see dollar signs and the landowners see dollar signs.

I live in the general area and appreciate the effort and would rather have my tax dollars go to these projects than my tax dollars paying for the medical care for a criminal that shot at a cop.

Also like the fact that one will be kayak / canoe only.
                  First, it's the Planning Departments' job to restrict development in flood prone areas once Floodplain Regulations have been adopted. In Douglas & Sarpy Counties that happened in the mid/late '70s. Hmmm

Second, your, and my, NRD tax assessment doesn't pay for cops shooting criminals' medical care. We do, though, probably agree about that insanity.

If the NRD is going to spend money building lakes I just wish they would be worthwhile sizes that take longer to silt in.

Comment

• Kenai King
                    Kenai King commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the political science lesson I usually just talk ichthyology here.

• piscatorious
                    piscatorious commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You're welcome, & Merry Christmas!

Originally posted by piscatorious View Post
                  Second, your, and my, NRD tax assessment doesn't pay for cops shooting criminals' medical care. We do, though, probably agree about that insanity.
                  That does seem insane, but laws are laws. If I lived in Omaha/Douglas County I would mad.
                  ​Go Big Red!!

Comment

Working...
                  X