Guide for calamus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Guide for calamus

My friend has a family cabin at calamus. We spent 2 days fishing there in early October and pretty much got skunked other than a drum and a rainbow. We are looking to shorten the learning curve on walleye up there. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are thinking of hitting up Ben Garver for a day in May or June.

May or June, anyone can catch walleye there during that time period. However a good guide will shorten the learning curve for certain. Make certain that you fish different methods on different parts of the lake during your trip.

Good Luck and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Luv2Decoy View Post
      May or June, anyone can catch walleye there during that time period. However a good guide will shorten the learning curve for certain. Make certain that you fish different methods on different parts of the lake during your trip.

Good Luck and have fun.
      This is correct. And Ben Garver is a GOOD guide.... Best of luck!
      Eyes by day, Eyes by night.
      Lund 1875 Impact Sport
      Mercury 150 4-Stroke/9.9 ProKicker
      Humminbird/Minn Kota Terrova

Comment

Thanks guys thinking of a 3 day trip with the first day being guided then go out on our own the rest of the trip. I’m sure we could catch SOME without help but we want to catch many. Still pretty new to targeting eyes.

Comment

You want to at least try fishing in shallow water. I personally have had my best success in May and June (even July) fishing in around 5 feet of water. The key for me catching bigger fish from shore was having a night crawler tipped with a leach during a stationary presentation and a straight crawler or leach, if moving in a boat. I've been fishing Calamus for 18 years around Memorial Day and the other key is wind. Is there wind and where is it blowing into? That's where they will be. Anymore, I won't even go out on that lake if there is no wind.

One of the best fishing experiences of my life was Memorial Day 2000 and I fished from off the wilderness trail at Hannamon Bayou in the headwaters. It was ridiculous. The walleyes were big and the wipers and white bass were thick. It got to the point where I could only have one line in the water because it was so crazy. People down on the lake were complaining about keepers and the walleyes I saw were from 3-10 lbs.

I went back for several subsequent years and it never happened again. I guess it was a late season as far as temperature or something. If anyone has any clue why, please do tell why it was a one time occurance. I would think it should happen every year like a migration pattern into the river.

Comment

Originally posted by Orca View Post
            You want to at least try fishing in shallow water. I personally have had my best success in May and June (even July) fishing in around 5 feet of water. The key for me catching bigger fish from shore was having a night crawler tipped with a leach during a stationary presentation and a straight crawler or leach, if moving in a boat. I've been fishing Calamus for 18 years around Memorial Day and the other key is wind. Is there wind and where is it blowing into? That's where they will be. Anymore, I won't even go out on that lake if there is no wind.

One of the best fishing experiences of my life was Memorial Day 2000 and I fished from off the wilderness trail at Hannamon Bayou in the headwaters. It was ridiculous. The walleyes were big and the wipers and white bass were thick. It got to the point where I could only have one line in the water because it was so crazy. People down on the lake were complaining about keepers and the walleyes I saw were from 3-10 lbs.

I went back for several subsequent years and it never happened again. I guess it was a late season as far as temperature or something. If anyone has any clue why, please do tell why it was a one time occurance. I would think it should happen every year like a migration pattern into the river.
            Just a guess for certain.
            Perhaps the incoming water temps were higher than lake temp and the shad were heading there to take advantage of the warmer temps to spawn. We have ran into this situation on Glendo and it is silly how concentrated the active fish are.

Comment

Originally posted by Luv2Decoy View Post

Just a guess for certain.
              Perhaps the incoming water temps were higher than lake temp and the shad were heading there to take advantage of the warmer temps to spawn. We have ran into this situation on Glendo and it is silly how concentrated the active fish are.
              Thank you for the response! That makes sense. I figured it had something to do with temperature. I had heard of the white bass run into the headwaters for the spawn in the Spring there before from locals and have always wondered if it was a cyclical pattern. Maybe it was totally random with an alignment of the stars. I sure would like to be a part of it again, but that's fishing, right?!!!

Comment

Calamus Reservoir Fish Guide Service. Monte. I have heard good things about him. I think he has a Facebook page
                Last edited by Forum Moderators; 02-12-2019, 07:38 PM. Reason: Phone numbers not allowed.

Comment

Working...
                X