Bluegill kill at Maple Creek Rec. Area Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluegill kill at Maple Creek Rec. Area Today

A friend of mine just called me and said they were fishing Maple Creek Rec.Area today and there was a Bluegill kill gone on the hole time they were there he said they would end up on there side after gone around a few times and then die he said they did not look sick a lot of 9.5"did anyone see this to or have any info on it

Did he say how many were affected?

Comment

He said they seen a lot of them I will have to ask him how many a lot is and get back to you

Comment

My friend said well over 100

Comment

I have taken a handful of calls in the past few days about some dead fish showing up in a number of different waters; mostly bluegills, redear sunfish, maybe a few bass or crappies thrown in. We get some reports like this every spring. Those are warm-water fish, especially the redears, and they can be a little stressed coming out of winter. Throw a cold spring on top of that, some more wild swings in temperatures, and you will see some natural mortality of those fish in the spring. With some spawning stress in the coming weeks, there likely will be more reports.

Nothing can be done about it. Keep in mind that there is a certain amount of natural mortality that occurs every year, maybe as much as 50% or more in panfish populations.

We will keep an eye on it.

Daryl B.
          Last edited by whitetips; 05-02-2018, 10:47 AM.
          Daryl Bauer
          Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
          Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
          daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
          http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

• Flicted
            Flicted commented
            Editing a comment
            50% or more?? Wow!

Thank DB I will pass it a long!

Comment

There was a fish kill this past week at Oxbow Trail as well - mainly bluegill.

Comment

Originally posted by JWH View Post
              There was a fish kill this past week at Oxbow Trail as well - mainly bluegill.
              How's the fishing at Oxbow Trail? Looks like a nice little pond for kayak fishing.

Comment

Working...
              X