BO dead shad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BO dead shad

Is anyone finding any winter kill shad still. ...was heading that way and was needing some bait.

Saw a few at Pawnee. About 3-5 inches. Not a whole lot there, but enough for the amount of luck we had. Found them in the Marina.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. ...this is going to be a quick trip also.

Comment

You could sink a boat w em at BO. Remember 100 in possession. Technically I believe its illegal to grab em w your hand.. Only legal method is w a dip net..I spent 4 hours yesterday vaccum sealing what we picked up in 30 mins.

Comment

Comment

Thank to Randy we got 2 buckets full of 10+ inch shad in the marina cove 2 weeks ago. Toss few poles down while we gather more but no bite

Comment

i went and got a bunch about 2 weeks ago also. never tried using them before, so excited to use them this year.

Comment

Not to open a can of worms because I vaguely remember hearing this, but who is it illegal to grab them by hand?

Comment

• snowgoose100
                  snowgoose100 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Technically I don't believe so.. That would be hand fishing.

I have a hard time believing ANY competent CO would site someone for picking up dead, winter killed shad with their hands... Now if they were making sure you had a fishing permit that's another thing...
                When you have the option, please buy American made. If it does not save your job, it might save mine.

Comment

• creekchubdale
                  creekchubdale commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wouldn't lay money on it. Depends on which side of the bed he got up on or how much the ol' lady's been rippin' his rear end the last few days.

• snowgoose100
                  snowgoose100 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Also could depend on how bad they have wanted to bust you over the years... I hope I have my permit on me... Exact quote" That would be nice if you didn't. I could go back and brag I busted you"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dip Net.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1196701

Comment

Good thing i've got short arms and too afraid to get my hand wet and cold so i just use a long handle dip net. At B.O. we can scoop up a bunch with one scoop and pick the best of them. Anyone here toss them in salt and cure them before packaging them up for next season?

Comment

Nope.. This is the 1st year I have picked them up. I prob won't even use them unless I get someone in my boat that wants channel cats. Pretty worthless for much else

Comment

• Shane.Rogert
                    Shane.Rogert commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When I’ve got a couple people in the boat and I’m dragging 6 rods, I will probably throw a piece on just to confirm what I already know, that fresh is better.

Originally posted by Shane.Rogert View Post
                  Jesus, the 50 Shad I got would have taken forever!
                  If you use your minnow bucket dip net then yes, it would take forever. I think he means more of the larger, legal dip nets specified in the NGPC fishing manual.

I think even the bucket dip net is illegal due to the holes being too small!

Comment

• Shane.Rogert
                    Shane.Rogert commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Haha yeah I used my big dip net, I was just joking about the put a hook in their mouth, toss them in and reel them back in.

Originally posted by Shane.Rogert View Post
                  Haha yeah I used my big dip net, I was just joking about the put a hook in their mouth, toss them in and reel them back in.
                  Ah...... Gotcha

Comment

snowgoose100
                    #9.2
                    snowgoose100 commented
                    03-13-2018, 06:09 PM
                    Also could depend on how bad they have wanted to bust you over the years... I hope I have my permit on me... Exact quote" That would be nice if you didn't. I could go back and brag I busted you"
                    I've ran into a couple with that attitude & personality over the years.

Comment

Working...
                    X