What Lurks Beneath, Beautiful Flatties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Lurks Beneath, Beautiful Flatties

Last week I noted that Nebraska Game & Park Fisheries biologist are busy around the state doing fish sampling this time of year (“Survey Says”).  A couple of weeks ago I slipped out of the office for a day and got my hands fishy helping with some of that sampling.  I have blogged many times …
    Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
    http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

What was the largest shocked up this year? We haven't managed to break 52 # yet. Lots of 40s 20s till I gotten bored w em.

Comment

Originally posted by snowgoose100 View Post
      What was the largest shocked up this year? We haven't managed to break 52 # yet. Lots of 40s 20s till I gotten bored w em.
      I only get out with the guys doing the field work once in awhile. We did not have anything exceptionally large the day I helped, mid- to upper-20 pounds, nothing special.

However, they told me stories of one day sampling this past summer when they saw lots of big fish and put a couple of mid-50's, pounds, in the boat!

Daryl B.
      Daryl Bauer
      daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov

Comment

I'd bet my last dollar there are bigger flatheads in the tri-county. Has the G&P ever done a shocking survey on the canal?

Comment

Originally posted by uglymike View Post
          I'd bet my last dollar there are bigger flatheads in the tri-county. Has the G&P ever done a shocking survey on the canal?
          Mike,

We have done some flathead sampling on the Tri-County canal, but not near as much as we have done on Branched Oak. We have done more in-depth research on the Branched Oak flathead population and thus the additional sampling there.

I would bet you are right, very likely bigger fish in the Tri-County canal.

Daryl B.
          Daryl Bauer
          daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov

Comment

Where can we find the results of sampling reports on the Tri-County canal ? Unless I have overlooked it, I do not see anything listed.

Comment

• whitetips
              whitetips commented
              Editing a comment
              The Tri-County canal reservoirs, Gallaghers, Midway, Plum Creek Canyon, Philips Canyon, are sampled only once every few years. That data is included in the annual fishing forecast when it is done, but I do not know that our field biologists have prepared any more detailed sampling summaries for those waters.

Daryl B.
          Working...
          X