Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brian02222 View Post
    Originally posted by DoubleH View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the world record walleye come from Greer's Ferry lake in Arkansas?
    I don't think that record stands anymore but it was at one point I believe.
    I think you guys are thinking of Old Hickory in Tennessee.

Either way, some big 'eyes used to come out of Greer's Ferry, still may. Bull Shoals in both AR and MO still produce some big ones, too.

Comment

What??? Shad can be good for a fishery??
      Too bad I am not blind and see this stuff. . . .

In the right habitats, the right fisheries, gizzard shad are great. They are an valuable open-water baitfish in many large reservoirs including large reservoirs in Nebraska.

On the other hand, in the wrong habitat, wrong fishery, they are terrible. In small- to medium-size reservoirs, habitats best-suited for largemouth bass, bluegills and crappies, gizzard shad are a detriment because they dominate and out-compete panfish and even small bass for food resources.

And as I have already stated, that is why cast-nets are NOT allowed in eastern Nebraska where most of our waters are small reservoirs.

And oh yes, some walleye sniping too. Within the borders of Nebraska walleyes do a lot better in some of our northern and western reservoirs than they do in southern and eastern waters. Walleyes are a cool-water fish, and in fact even need a certain amount of cold water during the winter for proper development of eggs and milt. Yes, I am telling you that walleye fisheries in Nebraska tend to be better than locations farther south. How many walleye fisheries are there in Texas?

NO, I did not say there are no walleye fisheries in southern waters and I am very well aware of the southern strains of walleyes that are very successful in southeastern states especially in large, hill land reservoirs in those states that have an abundance of cool-water habitat.

It is all about the habitat whether it is located in Nebraska or Kansas or Missouri or Timbuktu. It is more than just throwing fishing in.

Daryl B.
      Daryl Bauer
      Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
      Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
      daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
      http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Originally posted by whitetips View Post
        NO, I did not say there are no walleye fisheries in southern waters and I am very well aware of the southern strains of walleyes that are very successful in southeastern states especially in large, hill land reservoirs in those states that have an abundance of cool-water habitat.

Daryl B.
        Could you elaborate, I've never heard of this?

Comment

Please don't skip over "...in those states that have an abundance of cool-water habitat."
          Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

"On the other hand, in the wrong habitat, wrong fishery, they are terrible. In small- to medium-size reservoirs, habitats best-suited for largemouth bass, bluegills and crappies, gizzard shad are a detriment because they dominate and out-compete panfish and even small bass for food resources." Then why, in years past, were they stocked?
            They have cometh

Comment

Beaver lake in AR has good walleye fishing. Most ozark lakes have them but you rarely see people fishing for them because they are all after bass.

I believe the new MO state record crappie was caught early this spring from Mozingo.
              Out-the-Window Outfitters.

Comment

World record walleye came from Greer's Ferry.

Comment

Originally posted by 4allfish View Post
                  World record walleye came from Greer's Ferry.
                  A......not if you go by IGFA World Records, which are the mainstay. IGFA still recognizes Mabry Harper's 1960 25 pounder out of Old Hickory Lake in Tennessee. He ate it, too.
                  Chubby

Comment

Originally posted by Alex T. View Post
                    "On the other hand, in the wrong habitat, wrong fishery, they are terrible. In small- to medium-size reservoirs, habitats best-suited for largemouth bass, bluegills and crappies, gizzard shad are a detriment because they dominate and out-compete panfish and even small bass for food resources." Then why, in years past, were they stocked?
                    Stocked where?

Daryl B.
                    Daryl Bauer
                    daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov

Comment

Originally posted by KD View Post

Could you elaborate, I've never heard of this?
                      Walleyes are walleyes, Sander vitreus, but there are different regional strains, and the best strains for any given region are the strains that are native.

Daryl B.
                      Daryl Bauer
                      daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov

Comment

Walleyes are walleyes, Sander vitreus, but there are different regional strains, and the best strains for any given region are the strains that are native.

Daryl B.
                        I did a little research, and apparently there is a "southern strain" or "coastal strain" that is found in some of the drainages in the southeast.

I'm assuming that the NGPC hasn't introduced this southern strain into NE waters.

Comment

Originally posted by KD View Post

I did a little research, and apparently there is a "southern strain" or "coastal strain" that is found in some of the drainages in the southeast.

I'm assuming that the NGPC hasn't introduced this southern strain into NE waters.
                          No, even southeast Nebraska is a pretty long ways from those parts.

Daryl B.
                          Daryl Bauer
                          daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov

Comment

Daryl B.
                            Therein lies the problem......we need some deeper, cooler water reservoirs in eastern NE that utilize some of that Montana, Wyoming & Colorado snow melt or natural spring water, not just one or two way out west.
                            Chubby

Comment

• whitetips
                              whitetips commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Dang geography!

Daryl B.

Daryl B.
                            I learned a little in that research, it was pretty interesting.

Apparently that strain is kinda quirky and isn't doing so well in it's native range.

Comment

Dang geography!
                              Oh, you know good and well, geographically, there are a few places with topos close to 100 feet deep east of Kearney/GI where it could, or could have happened, but the powers to be won't ever concede.
                              Chubby

Comment

Working...
                              X