Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you fish from a Kayak if you had a boat

Hey guys,

I just got my hands on a new to me boat (17.5 foot Bass tracker with a 60 HP 4 stroke Merc).

Prior to this I've always fished on foot, from a drift boat (out west) or locally from a float tube or personal pontoon boat, only once from a kayak. I think that they each have their advantages. I'm curious as to what your opinions are on why you fish from a kayak. For some I'm guessing it's budget, but some of these kayak setups look like they would cost more than a well equipped johnboat. For some, I'm guessing the portability and the ability to fish waters without a ramp.

So I guess my question is, would you still have a kayak if you have a power boat? I'm guessing for some of you, it's a resounding yes. For others I'm guessing you would prefer a boat, but perhaps lack a tow vehicle, or it's a budget issue. I could also see a case for carrying a kayak on the deck of your boat to cover distance and then if there are large shallow flats use the kayak or wading for the final approach.

Thoughts?

I today own 2 float tubes, a 16 foot lake Jon boat with 25 hp. outboard, 40 lb. trusts trolling motor, a 12 foot lake Jon boat with a 28 lb. trolling motor and yes I prefer to fish out of my 12.3 ft. Wilderness System Tarpon 120. Why? Less production (work), Stealthier, fun to just paddle, and I can launch and fish where ever I want to. Started out keeping things simple but I have put a Locator on it now and would not want to leave it at home.

Comment

It's pretty tough to portage an 18 foot boat into OFW ponds

" A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack." - Wang Chi

Comment

In my mind it's about the right tool for the right situation. I wouldnt expect to take a 19 ft lund to a farm pond any more than I would take my kayak to fish Mille Lacs for walleye. As for most things in life, the answer really is, it depends....
        I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. -Sam Redfern

Comment

Around the Eastern part of the state, kayak. The lack of big water and more places which a kayak can go and a boat can not.
          Iowa State!

@JimVanBruggen

Comment

Agree with the above 2 responses. Eastern NE is perfect kayak fishing country. If I ever move back to eastern SD or MN, I will definitely own a deep V Lund. If I ever move to the Black Hills, a Lund for larger reservoirs and a kayak for smaller mountain lakes. Depends totally on geography.

Comment

I have a John Boat and a Kayak. Sometimes I take the Kayak over the boat if I just plan on fishing a few hours or going out more for leisure.

Comment

I would still kayak fish some. It's so easy to get my yak and run out for a little while. It also is super nice when it is just me. I'd like a boat for going out with more people and bigger water, just not something I am needing yet.

Comment

I have a 2008 16 1/2 ' alumacraft w/ 50hp motor and 2 kayaks, a 14' Hobie Pro Angler and a 11.5 FeelFree Lure. I've fished about 30 times on a kayak this year and 1 time in the boat. I mostly fish farm ponds and smaller lakes in Eastern Neb and that's how I like to fish. I'm keeping track of bass over !2" and it's somewhere around 450 so far this year. Only keeping the boat for the grandkids otherwise it would be gone in a heartbeat.

Comment

It really depends on how I’m feeling that day. I had a Ranger bass boat with a 150 on it before I started kayak fishing. I did like running and gunning from one spot to the next. But I found it’s hard to catch a fish going 60 MPH.
                    There is just something more intimate about kayak fishing. The first time I had a 7lb bass tail walk at eye level I knew it.
                    i also found that I fish a area more completely before I move on. I’ve certainly caught more and larger bass from slowing down and picking small overlooked pockets.

Comment

My personal policy on owning "stuff" is that if I dont use it for 3 years, I get rid of it. Owned 2 boats when I bought my first kayak.......and 3 years after that I didnt have any more boats.
                      I live in the panhandle and mainly fish sandhill lakes, but there isnt a lake in the state that I won't use my yaks(yes,now plural) in, and I dont forsee anytime soon when the kayak wouldn't be my first choice.
                      No licensing, no taxes after initial purchase, no trailering, WAY more versatile in most situations.
                      Take your kids fishing, they'll return the favor when they are older.

"A candle loses none of it's light by lighting another candle" James Keller

Comment

Have a 14’ jon boat, just got a more powerful trolling motor for this seasn. Have a 17’ tracker with a 40 hp motor. Want a 11.5 feelfree but the cfo won’t allow the purchase till I get rid of the tracker. So have boats want kayak.
                        Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

• QuackerTracker
                          QuackerTracker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          " CFO" Chief Female Officer?

• Jayomaha
                          Jayomaha commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That would be correct!
                          JDL

If it's a Hobie yes because I can control it so well while still having free hands to fish. I can control speed and position pretty well in my PA 14 while drifting and/or lightly peddling. For me it's way easier to fish on the move in my kayak than my old plastic bass tender 11.3 with a trolling motor which wouldn't hold a line and wanted to spin in circles. I do miss I pilot that I had in my last boat though.
                        I love catching bass. Every MA is like a participation trophy from mother nature!

Comment

I've never fished on foot or kayak.... I've only fished on a boat!

Comment

Boat all the way for me but I’ve only fished out of paddle yaks. I-pilot link is a game changer.

Comment

Working...
                            X