Had a chance to Demo the new Bonafide SS127 Sunday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a chance to Demo the new Bonafide SS127 Sunday

And it was impressive. I've had 4 different kayaks in the past 5 years and currently have a Hobie PA 14 and a FeelFree Lure 115. They both have their strong points. The Hobie is incredibly stable, heavy and expensive. The FF Lure is lighter, seat is more comfortable but I lose a lot of stability and doesn't have quite as many options as the Hobie but it is cheaper. The Bonafide is similar to the FF, but seems to be much more stable at the high seat position than the FF and that is important to me plus it has a lot more potential for accessories. If anyone is interested, DE Guns on east O st outside of Lincoln is carrying them, plus they have a bunch of Yak Attack accessories for sale too. I think they are having a Demo Day on July 21.

Excellent report! Thank you!

I too have a Hobie PA 14, and love it. However, I am interested in getting a traditional paddle fishing kayak, with no electronics, that I can just load into the back of my pickup, grab 1 or 2 rods, minimal tackle, and just go without having to hook up the kayak trailer. I am more interested in the new SS107 because of its shorter length.

Comment

I also would like to try out the SS107 but can't find one to demo. My son has one on order so am waiting to try it out. If I like it I may replace the FF 115 with one. I carry the FF in my full size van and pull the Hobie on a trailer. When I get to a pond or lake I use the one that works the best for the situation.

Comment

Bonafide seems like an innovative new company. It will be interesting to see if they come out with a pedal drive system in the next year or two.

Comment

There has also been a lot of anticipation for Old Town's new Topwater series of kayaks that they will be launching at ICAST this week.

"Old Town company insiders say the launch is in response to the growing market demand for easier transportation/storage, comfort, and overall value."

The specs for the Old Town Topwater 106 are very similar to the Bonafide SS 107, but the Old Town is $400 cheaper. The Old Town also has a pedal drive version. I would have to think that Bonafide has a pedal drive system in the works:
          Length Width Weight Capacity Propulsion Cost
          Bonafide SS107 10'7" 34.5" 67 425 paddle $1300
          Old Town Topwater 106 Angler 10'6" 34.5" 73 440 paddle $900
          Old Town Topwater PDL Angler 10'6" 36" 95 450 pedal $2000

Comment

Bonafide just announced today a new, cheaper version - the RS117. There is a video on facebook of it. Price is $999 and it will be available in October. Has the same hull design of the other two versions.

Comment

I will be curious to see the specs on the RS 117.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHunter View Post
                And it was impressive. I've had 4 different kayaks in the past 5 years and currently have a Hobie PA 14 and a FeelFree Lure 115. They both have their strong points. The Hobie is incredibly stable, heavy and expensive. The FF Lure is lighter, seat is more comfortable but I lose a lot of stability and doesn't have quite as many options as the Hobie but it is cheaper. The Bonafide is similar to the FF, but seems to be much more stable at the high seat position than the FF and that is important to me plus it has a lot more potential for accessories. If anyone is interested, DE Guns on east O st outside of Lincoln is carrying them, plus they have a bunch of Yak Attack accessories for sale too. I think they are having a Demo Day on July 21.
                Good to hear about the stability of the FF I remember when you said you got it. Was holding out till the power drive came on line before I bought, that took a couple of years! So may just go with the Native Waters which was my second choice! may have to make the trip down to Lincoln for the demo to check the new one out!
                Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

I’ll throw out a little advice from a old timer. That’s to Demo,demo,demo before you make your pick. When I started out in kayaks I was bull headed and didn’t listen or demo the kayaks before I bought one.
                  Going out with friends and trying there kayak out or even better going to a reputable kayak shop and trying out a could kayaks first is a wise decision to make!

Comment

Here's the info on the RS117. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1E3fn4YBS8
                    The Bonafide team members who have used it said it handles exactly in the middle of the SS127 and SS107 in terms of stability and manuverability. I have one of each coming and I will be at the Demo at DE in Lincoln on the 21st so come say hi. The RS117 shown isn't the final version, they are adding a port to the back and a couple other small changes. They did the same with the SS127 and SS107 from announcement to production. Let me know if you can't make the demo and I can see about meeting you sometime if it works out. I also think there will be at least one more demo after this one this season. And I agree 100% with Shaun, demo.demo.demo. I love the high position of the 127/107 seat and the stability is incredible. I just standup/walk right off the deck to shore without any drama. But it may not be the best boat for YOU. So demo your top choices.

Comment

• Dave H.
                      Dave H. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Where are you located in Lincoln thinking about coming down to take a look, are they going to be in the store or is this at a local lake

• Escotch
                      Escotch commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They have all 4 colors of the 127 there in stock at DE. The demo is right there at their pond (where they do demos) that is 75' from the back door. They also have a large selection of YakAttack gear. Their store is at 134th and O.

• Dave H.
                      Dave H. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the info going to try and make it down to take a look
                  Working...
                  X