Kayaking The Salt Creek In Lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kayaking The Salt Creek In Lincoln

Just curious if anyone in here has Kayaked the Salt Creek in Lincoln? Is it possible and if so how was it. I've heard it is really dirty but it would be intriguing to try kayaking it.

It could be done, with some portaging, probably a lot more portaging with a sit on top kayak. Many shallows and some rocky areas.

Comment

I had a friend tell me the kayaking on salt creek out by Ashland was pretty good. Can’t wait for some nicer weather to get out

Comment

I've know a guy that did the run for the LJStar (years ago). Here's his quote, when I asked his opinion just now:

"We put in at Wilderness Park near Pioneers Blvd. Steep slope but can be done. And floated past Greenwood. It was after a heavy rain. Otherwise too many trees and other obstacles. Best done in the morning. Get past the sewage plant before noon. Nice float. If it was me I would put in somewhere near Superior Street and float to Ashland. Fishing is probably good in that stretch."

" A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack." - Wang Chi

Comment

If I was going to put myself at risk in a Kayak, especially in Salt Creek, I'd make sure my Polio, Tetanus & Hepatitis A & B vaccinations were all up to date.

Comment

Speaking of Salt Creek, does anybody ever fish it around Lincoln? If so, what species and what part?

Comment

I agree that putting in around Superior or anywhere north of the sewage plant would be a good idea. Also I have heard of people fishing it and actually catching Walleye out of it. Pretty sure I wouldn't be eating any of those.

Comment

Originally posted by FishMaster View Post
                Speaking of Salt Creek, does anybody ever fish it around Lincoln? If so, what species and what part?
                You can find who knows what in Salt Creek. Fish migrate upstream from the Missouri and Platte rivers, and fish move out of the Salt Valley reservoirs, from gar to muskies you might find it in Salt Creek.

Daryl B.
                Daryl Bauer
                Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
                Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
                daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
                http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Originally posted by barrywalker View Post
                  I agree that putting in around Superior or anywhere north of the sewage plant would be a good idea. Also I have heard of people fishing it and actually catching Walleye out of it. Pretty sure I wouldn't be eating any of those.
                  Do not believe there are any fish consumption advisories in effect for any of Salt Creek.

Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality Fish Consumption Advisories

Daryl B.
                  Daryl Bauer
                  daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov

Comment

Originally posted by whitetips View Post

Do not believe there are any fish consumption advisories in effect for any of Salt Creek.

Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality Fish Consumption Advisories

Daryl B.
                    That 2015 Report is a little out of date. Interesting, though, how the October 2017 Assessment Report, using 2016 data, lists a warning for Oak Creek @ Lincoln and the entire Platte River below the Elkhorn but no advisory for Salt Creek. I also find it interesting that their was no screening listed for any portion of Salt or Wahoo Creeks. Kind of confusing if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by creekchubdale View Post

That 2015 Report is a little out of date. Interesting, though, how the October 2017 Assessment Report, using 2016 data, lists a warning for Oak Creek @ Lincoln and the entire Platte River below the Elkhorn but no advisory for Salt Creek. I also find it interesting that their was no screening listed for any portion of Salt or Wahoo Creeks. Kind of confusing if you ask me.
                      Want to clear up some "confusion"? Take some time and read the most recent report:

Regional Ambient Fish Tissue Monitoring Program

Daryl B.
                      Daryl Bauer
                      daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov

Comment

Want to clear up some "confusion"? Take some time and read the most recent report:

Regional Ambient Fish Tissue Monitoring Program

Daryl B.
                        I would if I could but the link goes nowhere. Maybe you could explain what it says if it is different than the 2016 report I referenced and have already reviewed, and how that information is any different from what I was reading?

Comment

Originally posted by creekchubdale View Post

I would if I could but the link goes nowhere. Maybe you could explain what it says if it is different than the 2016 report I referenced and have already reviewed, and how that information is any different from what I was reading?
                          Sorry, I should have known that; DEQ's website is like that and I should have known the link I provided would not work.

Anywho, try this, this is the most recent report, 2016 Regional Ambient Fish Tissue Program. You can see the link there.

Daryl B.
                          Daryl Bauer
                          daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov

Comment

Sorry, I should have known that; DEQ's website is like that and I should have known the link I provided would not work.

Anywho, try this, this is the most recent report, 2016 Regional Ambient Fish Tissue Program. You can see the link there.

Daryl B.
                            That's the same information I was referencing. You can get there in your first link at the bottom of the page by clicking on this link: http://www.nebraska.gov/eatsafefish Once there they have a link to the 2016 Data Assessment: http://deq.ne.gov/Publica.nsf/Pages/WAT247 There is no reference to screening Salt Creek, and pg 30, Appendix A, specifies 52 Oak Creek & 54 Platte River as having advisories but in between them Salt Creek shows OK. If Salt Creek had been screened since 2013/14 when it actually had an advisory issued it wouldn't be quite so confusing.

Comment

I guess my question doesn't warrant an explanation.

Comment

Working...
                              X