X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hillman1
    started a topic Battery size?

Battery size?

Im going to put a finder on my kayak this year. Probably going go go with either a 4 or 5 inch screen and maybe a 5ah battery. Wondering what size battery and what depth finder other people are using and about how many hours I can get out of either 5ah or 7 ah batteries. Thanks

• QuackerTracker
    replied
    Cabelas, ☠☠☠☠'s, ACK everyone has them

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Lowr...Kit/738118.uts

Leave a comment:

• Val Didrichsons
    replied
    My suction cup is easy and portable, but drops off the side when I'm really paddling along.

A magnetic mount? Interesting

I did a google, and found this Instructable: DIY Kayak Magnetic Transducer Mount.

I then went to Harbor Freight and bought a pair of 65# decoration magnets for $4.99.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E0388.JPG Views:	2 Size:	95.7 KB ID:	1197577

If I knock the rivet out, I can adapt any right angle bracket (stainless, plastic) to hang an arm from. We'll see how this goes. They cling to the side of the yak pretty well
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• QuackerTracker
    commented on 's reply
    Email sent

• hillman1
    replied
    Ive got one more question for you Quacker Tracker. What are you using for suction cup mount, does it stay on pretty well? I would love to see a pic if you might have time to email me one. Ehofer5@gmail.com I was going to do a magnetic mount but they are very expensive. Thanks again for all the info it really helped with some decisions.

Leave a comment:

• QuackerTracker
    commented on 's reply
    I run the SLA 1075 12VDC 8AH battery with my striker 4. I have run 2 days at 8 hours each day with power to spare.
    The battery measures 5 7/8 L x 3 3/4 H x 2 1/2 W. Hope this helps. My battery goes into a hard pistol case which my locator is mounted to and I use a suction cup for my transducer.

• Val Didrichsons
    replied
    You're buying a special box? Go to Walmart, get a soft sided cooler for six bucks. There's a carry strap, and plenty of room for the battery and all the cables, plus pockets on the outside to hold little tackle boxes of jigs or cranks.

Leave a comment:

• hillman1
    replied
    Thanks for the info QuackerTracker, I plan on getting the garmin Striker 4 or 5. How much run time do you get on your 4 and what size battery do you have. The main reason I was planning on the 5ah battery is its the right size for the box I am planning on using from fishfindermounts.

Leave a comment:

• QuackerTracker
    replied
    OR Cabela's has the same battery with charger for $29.99

I run the Garmin Striker 4 on my YAK.

Leave a comment:

• QuackerTracker
    replied
    SLA- 1075 is a 12 VDC 8AH battery from Interstate Battery for around $14-15. Here is my explanation on batteries.
    • Ah stands for Ampere hours. It is a measure of capacity, how much electricity the battery can hold.

Eg: A 12 volt 5 Ah battery can deliver 12v at 5 amps for 1 hour. Or 12v at 0.5 amps for 10 hours and so on.

Ah stands for Ampere hours. It is a measure of capacity, how much electricity the battery can hold. Eg: A 12 volt 5 Ah battery can deliver 12v at 5 amps for 1 hour. Or12v at 0.5 amps for 10 hours and so on Remember. Voltage is supplied by the battery but current/ amps are drawn by the appliance. Power in watts is calculated as volts x amps. So for instance a 12 volt bulb drawing 2 amps is: 12x2=24 so it is a 24 watt bulb. so on a 12v 5ah battery it will burn for about 2.5 hours. This is why car batteries are quite big for only a 12 volt battery, the massive current drawn by just turning the engine would flatten a small battery, and probably still wouldn't start even then.1000 mA = 1 Ampere An ampere is a unit of electrical current. So if we have a 1.3 Ah battery divided by our load of .550 we get 2.36 hours of run time. 5.0 Ah divided by .550=9.09 hours run time, 7Ah divided by .550=12.72 hours run time. These times are approximate values depending on what features are running and for how long. Such as back light and etc.

Leave a comment:

• JKL
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Val Didrichsons
    replied
    A 7 ah battery is about $20 at Scheels, and I can go two 7-8 hour days before it's out of juice. I use a Hook 5 that I use for ice fishing and my yak.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X