Fly Fisherman in Central Nebraska?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fly Fisherman in Central Nebraska?

I grew up fishing the small cold water trout streams of western Nebraska, often venturing over in to Wyoming and Colorado. The tailwater below Lake Ogallala was my go-to for a long time. About 5 years ago I moved to Kearney. I can count on one hand how many fly fisherman I've seen in this area. Perhaps I'm just not very observant. Perhaps it's just the warm water dominated area. Are any of you guys located in the Kearney area? I build bamboo fly rods and am just generally obsessed with everything fly fishing. Trout, carp, bluegill, steelhead, pike, muskie, you name it. I'd love to connect with like-minded individuals.

Originally posted by Chase View Post
    I grew up fishing the small cold water trout streams of western Nebraska, often venturing over in to Wyoming and Colorado. The tailwater below Lake Ogallala was my go-to for a long time. About 5 years ago I moved to Kearney. I can count on one hand how many fly fisherman I've seen in this area. Perhaps I'm just not very observant. Perhaps it's just the warm water dominated area. Are any of you guys located in the Kearney area? I build bamboo fly rods and am just generally obsessed with everything fly fishing. Trout, carp, bluegill, steelhead, pike, muskie, you name it. I'd love to connect with like-minded individuals.
    Just getting back into fly fishing after taking a 20 year break, not sure why on the break but here in Lincoln and Omaha area there is a lot of interest. In fact I have been helping out with Project Healing Waters this year and have had a blast. You might want to check in with them to see if there is a chapter close to you.

Comment

I haven’t been fly fishing in 30 years but would love to get back into it. My great uncle gave me a nice fly rod, but unfortunately he passed away before we could go fishing together. He used to work for Game and Parks, first in North Platte, later in Lincoln. Anyways, I’m in North Platte if you ever venture west again and wouldn’t mind a newbie.

Comment

I grew up south of Kearney, and head back that way a lot. I spend a lot of time fishing the I-80 lakes around Kearney on my way through... Admittedly there are not a lot of fly fishers out there, but before the floods it wasn't uncommon to see another fly fisher at Yanney Park chasing those big trout. Hopefully they are still in there.

If you see a guy fly fishing out of a car with letter plates down there, come say hi. Good chance its me...

Comment

Welcome from LaVista (Omaha area). I focus mostly on crappie because the wife and I like to selective harvest and eat a few. Bluegill and bass are just a blast. Although the last three trips we have planned to Colorado and the Black Hills have been ripped from our souls, I am determined to get to trout water again soon. Good news is, I've been tying in preparation for those trips and have amassed enough flies to open a shop.
          Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

Working...
          X