New Travel Fly Rod Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Travel Fly Rod Build

I had a 4wt travel rod that has had bad luck with the tip section. About an inch broke off a few years ago but I was able to just move the tip top and it worked fine. Then I broke it again this year when I gracefully fell on some rip rap. So I have been looking for a replacement for a couple months. I wanted to keep it at or around $100 total for the blank, handle, and components. Cabelas does not sell rod components any more so I have been looking through a lot of online retailers and ended up with Hook and Hackle. I used them several years ago and always had great luck with quality and great customer service. They had a special buy for a 5wt 9' 4pc rod blank that was normally $140 for $41.50. All other components came to just over $60 and they had free shipping. Ordered it on Saturday and it should arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to the build almost as much as fishing with it.
    Mike - LaVista, NE

Post some pics... rod building is a hobby I have though about but haven’t tried yet... very interested in how this goes for you!

Comment

I built my first fly rod about 25 years ago. Then an ultralight spinning rod, a couple flippin sticks, a couple spin/cast rods, then restored two bamboo fly rods I found in the garage in Minnesota, then several ice rods from orphan rod tips. It gets in your blood as bad a fly tying.

In most cases, you can buy the parts for about half of the cost that you would buy a completed rod. You can customize your own colors, guides, reel seats (wood or graphite), hook keeper or not. Even a cheap first time build is really satisfying. And you can get into it for pretty cheap. The only thing I was advised to start with was a turning motor to evenly set the thread sealant. You can cut 'V' notches in a box and turn the blank every 15 minutes for three hours, but I think the turning motor is a great investment. I still wrap the thread by putting the spool in a coffee mug, run the thread through a book, and adjust tension with my foot. I can wrap all the guides while I watch Mountain Men.
      Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

Not a good start... I received what was left of a Priority Mail box on my front porch yesterday. The rod blank looks to be in good condition, the sections were securely tied in a cloth rod bag. All components were missing. Emailed the pictures to Hook and Hackle and already received a reply at 6:00 this morning saying they would send out all components immediately. They did ask that I file a claim with the USPS for the damaged shipment.
        Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

While I was waiting, I marked the spine on all four sections and marked the guide placement. A couple guides are close to the ferrules so I moved one 1/4 of an inch and another 1/2 inch to make room for the guide wraps and also the ferrule wraps. I suppose a guide wrap could serve the same purpose but I don’t think it will look right.
          ericein What is your opinion of the ferrule wraps? Not sure if the gold is too much. I wrapped them mainly to protect them from splitting during the build. I won’t use color preserver so the green will darken to translucent and almost black with the epoxy coating. I may just not do the trim wraps.
          Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

All components are in place. Matte black rod with black guides and a rosewood seat. I think I’ll go with scarlet thread and no trim wraps. We’ll see.
              Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

Sorry for the delay... was gone all week end fishing!

I like the gold. I think those are a neat detail. The green looks neat, but even if it fades to black it think the gold is still a nice touch.

Comment

I found an unopened spool of black/gold thread in my rod building gear so I may do scarlet with that black gold as trim wraps. Then I hope to do a diamond wrap from the hook keeper, up about 6-8". It will be my first attempt at a design and I don't want to make it too gaudy. The braided thread should look nice and should tone it down a bit.
                  Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

All finished. I did a simple chevron wrap on the butt section (first attempt at it) and limited the gold trim wraps to just the ferrule wraps. This is much lighter than my old 8’ 6” 4wt and this is a 9’ 5wt. Can’t wait to use it now but I don’t want the first fish to be a small bluegill.
                    Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

Wow, nice!

Comment