New Travel Fly Rod Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Travel Fly Rod Build

I had a 4wt travel rod that has had bad luck with the tip section. About an inch broke off a few years ago but I was able to just move the tip top and it worked fine. Then I broke it again this year when I gracefully fell on some rip rap. So I have been looking for a replacement for a couple months. I wanted to keep it at or around $100 total for the blank, handle, and components. Cabelas does not sell rod components any more so I have been looking through a lot of online retailers and ended up with Hook and Hackle. I used them several years ago and always had great luck with quality and great customer service. They had a special buy for a 5wt 9' 4pc rod blank that was normally $140 for $41.50. All other components came to just over $60 and they had free shipping. Ordered it on Saturday and it should arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to the build almost as much as fishing with it.
    Mike - LaVista, NE

Post some pics... rod building is a hobby I have though about but haven’t tried yet... very interested in how this goes for you!

Comment

I built my first fly rod about 25 years ago. Then an ultralight spinning rod, a couple flippin sticks, a couple spin/cast rods, then restored two bamboo fly rods I found in the garage in Minnesota, then several ice rods from orphan rod tips. It gets in your blood as bad a fly tying.

In most cases, you can buy the parts for about half of the cost that you would buy a completed rod. You can customize your own colors, guides, reel seats (wood or graphite), hook keeper or not. Even a cheap first time build is really satisfying. And you can get into it for pretty cheap. The only thing I was advised to start with was a turning motor to evenly set the thread sealant. You can cut 'V' notches in a box and turn the blank every 15 minutes for three hours, but I think the turning motor is a great investment. I still wrap the thread by putting the spool in a coffee mug, run the thread through a book, and adjust tension with my foot. I can wrap all the guides while I watch Mountain Men.
      Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

Not a good start... I received what was left of a Priority Mail box on my front porch yesterday. The rod blank looks to be in good condition, the sections were securely tied in a cloth rod bag. All components were missing. Emailed the pictures to Hook and Hackle and already received a reply at 6:00 this morning saying they would send out all components immediately. They did ask that I file a claim with the USPS for the damaged shipment.
        Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

While I was waiting, I marked the spine on all four sections and marked the guide placement. A couple guides are close to the ferrules so I moved one 1/4 of an inch and another 1/2 inch to make room for the guide wraps and also the ferrule wraps. I suppose a guide wrap could serve the same purpose but I don’t think it will look right.
          ericein What is your opinion of the ferrule wraps? Not sure if the gold is too much. I wrapped them mainly to protect them from splitting during the build. I won’t use color preserver so the green will darken to translucent and almost black with the epoxy coating. I may just not do the trim wraps.
          Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

All components are in place. Matte black rod with black guides and a rosewood seat. I think I’ll go with scarlet thread and no trim wraps. We’ll see.
              Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

Sorry for the delay... was gone all week end fishing!

I like the gold. I think those are a neat detail. The green looks neat, but even if it fades to black it think the gold is still a nice touch.

Comment

I found an unopened spool of black/gold thread in my rod building gear so I may do scarlet with that black gold as trim wraps. Then I hope to do a diamond wrap from the hook keeper, up about 6-8". It will be my first attempt at a design and I don't want to make it too gaudy. The braided thread should look nice and should tone it down a bit.
                  Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

Working...
                  X