Tenkara

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenkara

Any fellow Tenkara style fishermen out there?
    �.���`�.��`�.��.���`�. �><(((�>

I tenkara fish almost exclusively with the exception of salmon. I grew up in southeast Nebraska and I've been in Alaska for the past 8 years. I spend about 3 weeks, during the summer, in Nebraska (teacher) where I predominately fish for warm weather species with tenkara rods.

Comment

Is there a short answer to what the differences between Tenkara and fly fishing are?

I'm sure I could Google it, but I'm guessing that there are others that are wondering the same thing.

TIA!

Comment

Is that hipster fly fishing for people with man-buns?
        Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

Tenkara is fly fishing. The only difference is western gear uses a reel and a tenkara is a longer, think 11-13 feet although sizes vary, extendable rod. Traditionally the Japanese used wet flies for smaller mountain trout. I got started on western gear, and still use it, but I primarily Tenkara fish because the rod packs down to about 12-13 inches. This allows me to throw it in a bag and fish regardless of where I'm at. I've also introduced many people to fly fishing because of the simplicity of the rig.

I primarily use "match the hatch" flies although some people stick just to the traditional Japanese flies. The appeal to Tenkara is the rods are generally cheaper than Western gear (100-200 usually) and the initial set up is less intimidating. There's also far less "get of my lawn" obnoxious elitists, which is nice.

Comment

Sounds like it's pretty efficient and easy to do from articles I have read. Never tried it, old dog new tricks I guess. Also having too much fun with the "western" way.
            Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

Originally posted by Flicted View Post
              Sounds like it's pretty efficient and easy to do from articles I have read. Never tried it, old dog new tricks I guess. Also having too much fun with the "western" way.
              Having fun fishing is the only thing that matters in the long run. All about choosing the right tool for what you want to do. I'm still pretty fond of throwing meat at big trout and salmon with my 6 weight. This past summer I had a lot of fun throwing terrestrials for bluegill, and the occasional bass, in the small ponds around Southeast Nebraska.

Comment

I would say it’s fixed line fly fishing. In stead of having a line coming off a reel, you fix a set amount of line to the end of a longer then your average fly pole. Pretty fun, but it has its limitations. It’s most renown for small stream fly fishing where distance is not a concern. It excels at Czech style nymphing. I also think it can lay down a dry fly like nothing else.

Since you have a fixed amount of line on the rod, positioning becomes much more important.

The cast is similar to a normal fly cast, just a bit wrist-ier. It’s probably easier to learn.

Playing a fish is a bit different... since there is no line to strip back in, you typically hold the rod behind you and grab the line and hand line it in... depending on how much line you have out.

And yes, it works in SE Nebraska... I like it with a panfish popper or small streamer...

Click image for larger version

Name:	F0F0DD5E-D0BC-466D-B39B-DFFC2EB018ED.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	1196812Click image for larger version

Name:	D2933477-5881-412F-9521-DB1D5204322A.jpeg
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	1196813Click image for larger version

Name:	B0631A85-D46D-40A4-BA9D-8A47215D218B.jpeg
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1196814Click image for larger version

Name:	D9FCDA37-87DA-471A-B108-94D11081A2B1.jpeg
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	1196815Click image for larger version

Name:	0230BFEA-53AF-4E43-A81A-C739318FB1C3.jpeg
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	1196816Click image for larger version

Name:	25BC9B0C-C92C-45EF-B6C5-DFF26670CF89.jpeg
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1196817

Comment

Originally posted by ericein View Post
                  I would say it’s fixed line fly fishing. In stead of having a line coming off a reel, you fix a set amount of line to the end of a longer then your average fly pole. Pretty fun, but it has its limitations. It’s most renown for small stream fly fishing where distance is not a concern. It excels at Czech style nymphing. I also think it can lay down a dry fly like nothing else.

Since you have a fixed amount of line on the rod, positioning becomes much more important.

The cast is similar to a normal fly cast, just a bit wrist-ier. It’s probably easier to learn.

Playing a fish is a bit different... since there is no line to strip back in, you typically hold the rod behind you and grab the line and hand line it in... depending on how much line you have out.

And yes, it works in SE Nebraska... I like it with a panfish popper or small streamer...

Click image for larger version  Name:	F0F0DD5E-D0BC-466D-B39B-DFFC2EB018ED.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	158.8 KB ID:	1196812Click image for larger version  Name:	D2933477-5881-412F-9521-DB1D5204322A.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	157.8 KB ID:	1196813Click image for larger version  Name:	B0631A85-D46D-40A4-BA9D-8A47215D218B.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	137.1 KB ID:	1196814Click image for larger version  Name:	D9FCDA37-87DA-471A-B108-94D11081A2B1.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	207.7 KB ID:	1196815Click image for larger version  Name:	0230BFEA-53AF-4E43-A81A-C739318FB1C3.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	156.8 KB ID:	1196816Click image for larger version  Name:	25BC9B0C-C92C-45EF-B6C5-DFF26670CF89.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	103.6 KB ID:	1196817
                  Which TenkaraUSA rod do you have? I used the Amago a bunch last year in Colorado, and then again in Alaska flipping beads for dollies. I tried to use it on the Platte behind Lake Ogallala but was a tough outing due to the wind.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have the Ebisu, which is discontinued. I bought it like half off on clearance. It has a wood handle like traditional Japanese rods, but was not very popular in the American market, where cork is king.

It is a 5:5 rod, so it is pretty soft. (Think slow action rod in non-tenkara terms)

Comment

Originally posted by ericein View Post
                      I have the Ebisu, which is discontinued. I bought it like half off on clearance. It has a wood handle like traditional Japanese rods, but was not very popular in the American market, where cork is king.

It is a 5:5 rod, so it is pretty soft. (Think slow action rod in non-tenkara terms)
                      How long is it? The stiffer rods are more useful for how I particular use it. I've looked at their shortest offering for my summer vacations in Nebraska. I'd like to hit Verdigre but I'm nervous with any rod longer than 10 feet.

Comment

• ericein
                        ericein commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Mine is a 12'. I think it would work fine on Verdigre where you are never casting far anyways.

I like the softness for laying down dry flies. But I use it mostly for panfish and small trout. Anything bigger and I would probably want a stiffer rod...

Do you suppose tenkara is Japanese for

$300 cane pole?

Or

Marketing Geniuses?

Or

We'll show those yeti guys?
                      Peace and Love

Comment

• ericein
                        ericein commented
                        Editing a comment
                        D) All of the above?