Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oak Lake Pike-Urban Legend????

Thanks

Default Oak Lake Pike-Urban Legend????

Urban Legend or not?????

In the early 80's the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission had a batch of Northeren Pike to be stocked in to Branched Oak Lake. The gung-ho employess always willing to please their bosses headed out with the load of Pike to be stocked. Anxious to stock, paying the utmost attention to proper care of the fish the pike arrived at their destination and were carefully and methodically stocked in their new home. Attention to detail was taken and the whole process went off flawlessly except for one thing. The Pike were meant for Branched Oak Lake , but were accidentally stocked in Oak Lake, which as most people know is the site of the old Lancaster couty dump, which was filled in and a lake built over the top. In the following years reports came in of a mysterious fish, long and lean, being caught out of Oak Lake, which up to that point hadnt been known for much of anything fishing related except for the occasional small bluegill or carp. This whole saga culminated with a picture in the Lincoln paper of a group of anglers holding an impressive stringer of Northern Pike reportidly caught at Branched Oak, but actually caught at Oak Lake. The Northern Pike scene at Oak Lake would continue into the late 80's where many fish of master angler size were reported.

Is this to be written off as urban legend or a well kept secret that leaves many to this day shaking their head and asking "why and how they could have missed out on the best kept secret east of Area 51". Beleive it or Not!!!!!!!!!!

huskerrod

Thanks

I caught 2 from there but I can't remember the year. It had to be early 80's and they seemed to be big fish but I was pretty young and that was a long time ago. I do know we went there to specifically fish for them after a neighbor had caught a few. The funny thing I remember most was the people of non-European decent putting the hurt on them.

Thanks

Yea my dad told me that there used to be northern in oak lake and that in the 80s my uncle used to catch pretty good ones. Never heard that's how they got there though.

Thanks

I do not know the "Urban Legend" as to HOW they got in there, but I can claim that I have caught a couple form there as well. Matter of fact, the lake that is located on the East side of I-180 was the one that had some of them in it my Grandfather was the one who got me going there because He had caught some there as well, but that was in the 70's, so I'm, not sure how far back this really goes

However, I can also say that I caught a few smaller ones over in the West lake adjacent to I-180 as well. not sure if they had really been stocked or transported over to there or what?? they were there at one time, but have not been for a very, very long time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 768 Posts

I caught a 33" pike from there is '83 or '84 after seeing the article in the Journal , being a 13yo kid and catching the biggest pike in the family at that point I wanted to have it mounted. It's the ugliest mount I've seen to date... I still have it.
    When you have the option, please buy American made. If it does not save your job, it might save mine.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fish On For This Useful Post:

Dad O. (08-09-2013), friggidy (08-09-2013)

Pointy-head

Thanks
    Thanked 8,092 Times in 3,634 Posts

There is some urban legend there, but it ain't the part about pike being stocked in Oak Lake.

Yes, they were stocked; I know folks were catching 'em there early spring of '83.

The urban legend part is that they were intended for Branched Oak and stocked in Oak Lake by accident. No, they were intended for Oak Lake, it was one of those things where there were some adult pike available and they were stocked there solely to provide a put-and-take fishery.

And there ain't no pike left in Oak Lake. Forget about it.

Daryl B.
    Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
    http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whitetips For This Useful Post:

BrentC402 (08-09-2013), HuskerDB (08-09-2013), NEBucks (08-09-2013), Shorty (08-09-2013)

Thanks

Yea I know there ain't any left, if any species of fish for that matter. Aren't they getting rid of that trash hole

Pointy-head

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrentC402 View Post
    Yea I know there ain't any left, if any species of fish for that matter. Aren't they getting rid of that trash hole
    Nothing I have heard of. Water levels are being held a little lower than they used to be, but Oak Lakes ain't going away.

Daryl B.
    Daryl Bauer
    daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov

11. The Following User Says Thank You to whitetips For This Useful Post:

BrentC402 (08-09-2013)

Thanks

Well they should. Not a pleasant looking or smelling place. Used to be fun place to catch bullheads when I was younger though. No plans on making it better if its staying?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fish On View Post
    I caught a 33" pike from there is '83 or '84 after seeing the article in the Journal , being a 13yo kid and catching the biggest pike in the family at that point I wanted to have it mounted. It's the ugliest mount I've seen to date... I still have it.
    Check out the mount located in Frank's in Wilber sometime. That has got to have your mount beat, Ryan.

I remember those pike. Caught a bunch of them. Caught more out of Holmes Lake than Oak Lake. They were stocked about the same time in both lakes.
    Last edited by Glens; 08-09-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 772 Posts

I remember catching a northern pike out of Holmes lake around 1980.

I also remember when Stagecoach and Branched Oak had northern pike as well.
    Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the circus.....

Pointy-head

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrentC402 View Post
    Well they should. Not a pleasant looking or smelling place. Used to be fun place to catch bullheads when I was younger though. No plans on making it better if its staying?
    Oak Lakes are built over the top of an old landfill. I'm sorry, but there ain't a whole lot that can be done there.

Daryl B.
    Daryl Bauer
    daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov

Thanks

Yah, I remember the Pike in Holmes Lake and saw a few caught and saw a bunch of dead ones on the shoreline. My claim to fame was a tiger muskie I caught out of East Twin in the early 90's. I even saw a tiger Musky swimming..I kid you not.....with his snout and eyeballs and top of his head out of the water eyeballing some birds swimming on the surface. He kept circling them right in front of me. Never saw it before or since then. I guess the view from below wasnt good enough so he wanted to investigate for a better view of the action.

Thanks

Yea ur sorry

Thanks

I even caught my first Crappie out of Oak Lake when I was a kid. ( maybe 70 yrs ago) In the lake with what use to have a Island. Dad thought they were the best fish I ever brought home.
    Blues 6 -10s, 1-11, 1-12, 5-15s, 1-16, 1-27, 1-30, 1-32, 1-46, 2-51s

Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 395 Posts

Little Cottontail lake too, 1983 or so, I caught a lot of 24" northerns out of there. Then it or hot that summer, and a whole bunch of whit horseshoe-shaped dead northerns littered the banks.
    i remember it vividly...only had to drive a little past Crete to actually catch northerns...which was big stuff to a kid in high school back then.
    Jim

Thanks
    Thanked 4,227 Times in 1,863 Posts

I hear rumors that Northern Pike still exist in BO. I don't believe them but a guy told me he has caught them as recent as 2 years ago.

The only 2 things keeping me from going pro are skill and luck.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 443 Posts

The last Northern I saw caught in Lancaster County was at Conestoga some time around the Bicentennial. I was ice fishing with my grandfather, putting 5 inch bluegill down on tip ups. Old pictures show we caught a half dozen at what I would say are all of 18 inches
    " A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack." - Wang Chi

Thanks
    Thanked 4,161 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MA Machine View Post
    I hear rumors that Northern Pike still exist in BO. I don't believe them but a guy told me he has caught them as recent as 2 years ago.
    Its been about 8-10 years since I saw one. I dont doubt there could be a few after the drought then the flooding of the trees so they had somewhere to spawn. Theres a few yellow perch also but they are rare. Seen one 5 or 6 years ago through the ice that was 13 inches.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MA Machine View Post
    My friends used to fish BO a lot in 2009-2010. Her husband hooked a northern but didn't land in coz the beast ripped the line off by great head-shaking techniques.