Thread: High School State Bass Tournament Story (pic heavy)

Thanks

Default High School State Bass Tournament Story (pic heavy)

When James Reed told me he was starting a high school bass club I wanted to get my girlfriend’s son Quentin Hadan involved. I thought he could be on a team with a kid from Holdrege that bass fishes the park pretty hard. Quentin asked him and he wasn’t interested. I thought Quentin could just ride along and the other kid would catch all the fish. Between my work and Q’s baseball schedule I figured we wouldn’t have time for him to learn to bass fish. He fished with his grandpa a lot but used live bait mostly. After his grandpa inquired about the tournament I signed up Q thinking it would look good on a college resume. I took him to the park on my little aluminum boat one morning after I got off work. After I put a four pounder in the boat I asked Q if he was ready to put down his ugly stick and try the baitcaster. After a few minutes he had this

We had never met Ian Coffey, the partner James picked for us. On the S.V. practice day at Harlan Q’s grandpa Rob brought his boat and we took the boys out. Ian had two push button reels and asked “so you can’t use bait?” then he remarked “that’s all I’ve ever used!” I started working with Ian using an open face reel and Quentin proceeded to throw all the lures I gave him into the trees. I should have just dumped out my tackle box overboard and gone back to shore to practice casting. We never even got one bite and all four of us tried everything we had.
    Tragedy struck and Ian broke his collar bone in a freak tubing accident.
    The weekend before the tournament we got a call from Jim Williams, our boat driver and coach. He took the boys out on his sweet bass boat from 6am till 3. Quentin caught this one bass

The Friday before the tournament, when I got off work Q had all his stuff laid out in the living room. I helped him go through and streamline some of his soft baits, mostly donated by madtom2 and hotrod. We went through his divider boxes and loaded them with wide gap hooks, bullet weights and jigs from my tackle box. I had a bassmasters I recorded playing on the tv and Brandon Palaniuk was fishing. I stopped to tell Q how awesome Brandon is and then I remembered the new wiggle wart I bought from Tall Tales. I dumped out Q’s divider box that was full of bobbers and filled it up with crankbaits from my tackle box. Then his grandpa picked him up to go stay in the fifth wheel at Harlan.

I didn’t have very high hopes for the boys and then on my four thirty am break I saw this

It stopped raining sometime around the rules meeting

When I got home from work James Reed was posting pics from Harlan on the S.V. Eagles fishing club facebook. I saw these and went to bed.
    Ready for blast off

Gremlin Cove

Heres a picture of the boys on the boat with Jim
    At nine o’clock my girlfriend woke me up and showed me this message from Jim
    My hopes for the boys completely changed and with no possible hope for sleeping any more we headed for Harlan. We could see the boys from the dam and we got another text from Jim that said they had four fish. Needles to say we were pretty excited about the weigh in.

The boys did an outstanding job weighing 4 fish for 14.9 pounds. Some of the bigger bags came off buzzbaits and spinnerbaits but the big story of the day was cranking the rocks. It’s just ridiculous I threw all those baits in his tackle box at the last minute. Ian and Q got into the pattern almost immediately and stayed with it for the whole day. They both caught fish, Ian landing a five pounder that he could barely hold the rod up with his broken collar bone. I’m not sure but it’s probably the biggest largemouth he’s ever caught. The boys ended up in a spectacular second place finish behind Gretna who had five fish for 15 pounds even.
    Daryl and Larry presenting the boys with the awards
    With the coach Jim Williams from Fort Kearny Bassmasters
    Quentin and me picture for facebook, number 2
    Second place can be sweet with an ice cream cake
    They ran the picture in the Holdrege Citizen newspaper
    Christine Boggy even did a story on the NTV news

http://www.nebraska.tv/category/2220...clipId=9138446
    Congratulations to the team from Gretna, they were the better team and I’m glad they will be representing us at Texoma. It was a great day and a great event. Thank you to all of the game and parks employees, the nefga members, all the volunteers and sponsors, parents and grandparents and especially James Reed, Jim Williams, Quentin Hadan, and Ian Coffey
    Last edited by iROCKBASS; 07-31-2013 at 05:57 AM.
    The only thing better than fishing is talking about fishing-ike

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to iROCKBASS For This Useful Post:

CrazyCatLady (07-31-2013), fotoman (07-31-2013), Harold (07-31-2013), Hunter (07-31-2013), jamesreed (07-31-2013), madtom2 (07-31-2013), plainsman (07-31-2013), Shorty (07-31-2013), Slimdog (07-31-2013), tenwindows (07-31-2013), Tuna (07-31-2013)

Thanks

Great to see high school bass fishing competition in the state of Nebraska. I would have loved to have the opportunity to compete in tournaments in high school...the TBF is doing something very special here. I hope my posts regarding the Maverick Bass Club at UNO has inspired some of these young gentlemen to pursue competition in competitive bass fishing at the next level. We would be more than happy to have you join our club at the University of Nebraska-Omaha. Our recent success at the FLW Central Inivitational will allow us the opportunity to do some things that no other team from Nebraska has ever done. Get in touch with me if you're interested in college fishing, no matter what your plans are after high school. Nice job guys!
    FLW Everstart Series
    ABA Division 59
    Nebraska B.A.S.S Federation

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fishn Ben For This Useful Post:

iROCKBASS (07-31-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fishn Ben View Post
    Great to see high school bass fishing competition in the state of Nebraska. I would have loved to have the opportunity to compete in tournaments in high school...the TBF is doing something very special here. I hope my posts regarding the Maverick Bass Club at UNO has inspired some of these young gentlemen to pursue competition in competitive bass fishing at the next level. We would be more than happy to have you join our club at the University of Nebraska-Omaha. Our recent success at the FLW Central Inivitational will allow us the opportunity to do some things that no other team from Nebraska has ever done. Get in touch with me if you're interested in college fishing, no matter what your plans are after high school. Nice job guys!
    Ben,
    If you would please send me a pm with your contact information, I'd love to pass on more information to the kids in the club. I think it's great to have a team like yours that has been successful for our kids to look up to. We are thinking about hosting a tournament next year and would love to have a college team come down and talk to the kids, if it would work with your schedule.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fishn Ben View Post
    Are women allowed in this club at UNO? Just curious. I graduated from there a couple years ago. It would have been awesome to be a part of that.

Thanks

I have seen that kid, Q, shoot birds. He has a great outdoor attitude and the right people helping along the way. Tell Q great job for me. Mike Means
    Would God want me in church thinking of my boat, or sitting in my boat thinking of him.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Reddogs2 For This Useful Post:

iROCKBASS (07-31-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,111 Times in 3,313 Posts

Congrats to "Q" and Ian on their success!

Here are a couple additional pics:

Boat Coach Jim Williams, "Q", Ian and Head Coach/SV Schools Bass Team Coordinator James Reed

NGPC High School Bass Program head Larry Pape, Ian, "Q" and NGPC Fisheries Outreach Guru and Event "MC", Daryl Bauer

The Proud Family with the Team

Here's my COMPLETE ALBUM mostly with pics taken by James Reed as we toured the lake during the Event.

Harold F.
    "If I had a picture, I wouldn't have given you 1,000 words..." OBG

"Perhaps a better way of measuring wealth is by
    the number of unique experiences you have had..." Esther Dyson

These are OUR FISHERIES! Report All Violations!
    ...........................1-800-742-SNAP

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Harold For This Useful Post:

iROCKBASS (07-31-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamesreed View Post
    Ben,
    If you would please send me a pm with your contact information, I'd love to pass on more information to the kids in the club. I think it's great to have a team like yours that has been successful for our kids to look up to. We are thinking about hosting a tournament next year and would love to have a college team come down and talk to the kids, if it would work with your schedule.
    PM sent. And we would love to be able to speak with the club! I would gladly explain any fishing methods, tournament strategy, college fishing info, or just talk with them about college life and fishing at the next level. Thanks!
    FLW Everstart Series
    ABA Division 59
    Nebraska B.A.S.S Federation

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fishn Ben For This Useful Post:

jamesreed (07-31-2013)