Thread: New to whitetail hunting, need help understanding 2013 NE deer permits...

Thanks

Default New to whitetail hunting, need help understanding 2013 NE deer permits...

I'll be hunting whitetail for the first time this fall, with my bow. I have a couple hundred acres of private land to hunt on. Wooded bottoms on the Republican River, with corn and soybeans planted along that. I am not interested in a trophy per se, just want meat on the table. Is the $30 permit for 2 deer, and one can be a buck, but does not have to be? Is a 2nd permit available, Antlerless River Permit, good for just 2 antlerless deer, for an additional $11? Total 4 for $41? Can I just purchase the $11 permit only? I guess if I did get a shot on a buck with that permit, I would have to pass it up. Do I have to have a separate hunting permit also? Do I have to have a separate habitat stamp? Thanks in advance for any help and advice! I can't seem to find 2013 info, just 2012.
    Last edited by plainsman; 05-11-2013 at 12:59 AM.
    "The white man's way of making a living left little time for looking to nature to feed the soul."
    -Bill Mason from "The Path of the Paddle".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman View Post
    I'll be hunting whitetail for the first time this fall, with my bow. I have a couple hundred acres of private land to hunt on. Wooded bottoms on the Republican River, with corn and soybeans planted along that. I am not interested in a trophy per se, just want meat on the table. Is the $30 permit for 2 deer, and one can be a buck, but does not have to be? Is a 2nd permit available, Antlerless River Permit, good for just 2 antlerless deer, for an additional $11? Total 4 for $41? Can I just purchase the $11 permit only? I guess if I did get a shot on a buck with that permit, I would have to pass it up. Do I have to have a separate hunting permit also? Do I have to have a separate habitat stamp? Thanks in advance for any help and advice! I can't seem to find 2013 info, just 2012.
    I haven't looked to see if they are changing the bonus permits this year, (not sure if that has been finaled) but it has been that an archery permit came with one either sex tag (good for both mule deer and whitetails) and a bonus anterless whitetail.

You are only allowed two permits that allow for the taking of a buck..Doesnt matter if you actually shoot a buck. For example if you buy two regular archery permits, then you can not buy a regular muzzloader permit or a regular rifle permit. The anterless only season choice permits are basically unlimited (you can buy as many as are available)

You don't need a regular hunting licensce, but you do need a habitat stamp. If you buy a habitat stamp online, it will automatically print out on your deer permits when you buy them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tjm For This Useful Post:

plainsman (05-11-2013)

Thanks

Deer regs got tabled till May. Should know sometime this month.

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys.
    "The white man's way of making a living left little time for looking to nature to feed the soul."

Thanks

If you don't know the game warden for that area, find out who it is and make a point to meet with him. A firm handshake and 5 minutes of his time to ask these questions would be valuable to you on several different levels. This will be the person checking you come deer season.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uglymike View Post
    If you don't know the game warden for that area, find out who it is and make a point to meet with him. A firm handshake and 5 minutes of his time to ask these questions would be valuable to you on several different levels. This will be the person checking you come deer season.
    While I don't doubt that this is a good idea (keep in mind, this is all brand new to me) I thought manual deer checks were only available during rifle season. Bowhunters have to use the telecheck system. Is this correct?

Thanks

I thought manual deer checks were only available during rifle season. Bowhunters have to use the telecheck system. Is this correct?
    Yes archery/muzzloader tags use the telecheck system, but a random check of permits by your local warden is what I think mike is referring too.