Thread: Yak Trolling for 72 Miles

Thanks

Default Yak Trolling for 72 Miles

Anyone here up for a challenge?

http://sdkayakchallenge.org/about.htm
    Terry

"Oh! You can't sleep either? Let's go fishing!"
    (Words from my dad at 4:30 AM when we were kids on vacation - after he shook us all awake! I wish he was still here to do that.)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gn83tm For This Useful Post:

kayakjak (03-02-2013), wildernesswomen (03-02-2013)

NEFGA Sponsor!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,814 Times in 811 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sounds like an awesome race! Thanks for sharing Terry! There is also one in Kearney during early May. Jim Craig of Panama, NE is the race directory. I think you can find information at angrycowadventures.com
    "When a fish bites, a primordial jolt shoots along your nerves, stirring a bundle of dark, dusky ganglia deep within your predatory brain."
    North American Fisherman-Feb 2006
    Kayakjak
    kayakjak.com is a paid NEFGA sponsor

Thanks

Do you think average dudes & dudettes like us could survive that, Marty? I can handle a lot of seat time in the yak, but I'm betting this would require a lot more paddling than a day fishing. Maybe if the river's going about 10 mph all you'd have to do is float and rudder. It could get gnarly though with a big thunderstorm and a 30 mph wind out of the SE.
    Terry

(Words from my dad at 4:30 AM when we were kids on vacation - after he shook us all awake! I wish he was still here to do that.)

NEFGA Sponsor!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,814 Times in 811 Posts
    Blog Entries

It would definitely take some training Terry. 72 miles is a jaunt on the river or not. A highly trained person could paddle it in around 9-10 hours. Moderate training might get you in the 12-14 hour range. Just floating along and using the paddle and enjoying the ride could be as much or more than 20 hours.
    "When a fish bites, a primordial jolt shoots along your nerves, stirring a bundle of dark, dusky ganglia deep within your predatory brain."
    North American Fisherman-Feb 2006
    Kayakjak
    kayakjak.com is a paid NEFGA sponsor

Thanks

Last year's results show the top guy doing it in 8 hrs 50 min. The last place guy who wasn't a DNF did it in 27 hrs 19 min. It looks like several of them stopped for the night and did the last leg in the morning.

I'd probably be more inclined to do this as a 3 day trip with plenty of fishing, relaxing, and napping
    Terry