Thread: Muskie Gear: Where to start

Thanks

Default Muskie Gear: Where to start

Ok, I a man with a dream. I want to catch a muskie. I know it won't come easy and I may have to spend a lot of frustrating hours casting and casting to make it happen but I am willing to put in the time to make it possible. I want some advice on the equipment/gear I should be using to start. Appreciate all advice and imputed anyone could offer about rod, reel, line, leaders, lures ect. Also any advice on tactics or strategies to get started.

Things to consider: I believe LE Ray will be my best option in the Kearney area for me for a lake with muskie present and close enough that I can fish it frequently. My skill with baitcasting reels isn't great so options that involve spinning gear would be preferred. Also, I don't own a boat so will have to pursue this dream while casting from shore.

Thanks in advance.

NEFGA Sponsor!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 1,262 Posts

I'll give you a hollar if I'm over there. I usually fish it a couple times a year. You could borrow some of my stuff, fish out of a boat and I'd show you what I know about muskies, which is limited. You could get away fishing a smaller subwalk, topwaters, jigs and small to medium jerkbaits on a spinning rod. I can hand you a casting rod and you'd probably have it figured out fast.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bradh For This Useful Post:

HuskerDB (03-01-2013)

Pointy-head

Thanks
    Thanked 7,717 Times in 3,449 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerDB View Post
    Ok, I a man with a dream. I want to catch a muskie. I know it won't come easy and I may have to spend a lot of frustrating hours casting and casting to make it happen but I am willing to put in the time to make it possible. I want some advice on the equipment/gear I should be using to start. Appreciate all advice and imputed anyone could offer about rod, reel, line, leaders, lures ect. Also any advice on tactics or strategies to get started.

Things to consider: I believe LE Ray will be my best option in the Kearney area for me for a lake with muskie present and close enough that I can fish it frequently. My skill with baitcasting reels isn't great so options that involve spinning gear would be preferred. Also, I don't own a boat so will have to pursue this dream while casting from shore.

Thanks in advance.
    What are the muskies eating? That is the place to start no matter what you are fishing for, no matter what waters you are fishing.

Yes, I believe in big baits for big fish ( http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/...raging-theory/ ), but in some Nebraska waters the muskies for at least part of the year, if not most of the year, are feeding on the same abundant prey fish that every other predator fish is eating. In that case, tackling up to a little bit bigger bait than what you fish for walleyes or largemouth bass may be a little more likely to catch a muskie, but you may not want to go to some of the largest muskie baits on the market. In fact, our state record muskie was caught on a Shad Rap being trolled for walleyes.

Grand Island's L.E. Ray pit has a variety of panfish and rough fish present in it. Some of those rough fish might be relatively large and larger muskie bait might be the best imitations of that prey. On the other hand, the panfish might be imitated with bass and walleye-size baits.

From there you need to match your rods & reels to the baits you are fishing. Bigger baits will require heavier line, and heavier rods and reels (likely casting reels) needed to handle those bigger baits and heavier lines.

Most of the Nebraska muskies I have caught have been caught on medium-heavy spinning gear, and have been caught while wading. It can be done. Most of them were caught on large bass/walleye baits from waters where the muskies were feeding on the same abundant baitfish that the bass and walleyes were eating.

Some leader options are mentioned here, http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/...nds-literally/ . Again tackle up to heavier, more robust leaders to use with larger baits and heavier lines.

Oh, one other thing, do not overlook the importance of being prepared to handle those big toothy fish when you catch one, http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/...ndling-review/ .

Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
    http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/...d-backlashes//

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whitetips For This Useful Post:

HuskerDB (03-01-2013), Musky911 (03-02-2013)

Thanks

I would recommend investing in a decent casting setup, they aren't too difficult to learn. You don't need a fancy rod or reel. I would recommend an Abu Garcia 6500C3, which is an old trusty stand by reel that can be found used for around $50. Spool it with 80lb Masterbraid and a 12" steel leader. Pair it with a Scheels Muskie rod for about $100 and a lifetime warranty.

As far as baits go, I would recommend getting one of each main style of bait; bucktail, spinnerbait, crankbait/twitchbait, jerkbait, soft plastic, and topwater.

Make sure to bring the proper release equipment as well as a fully charged camera and good luck!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DEMolishedyou2 For This Useful Post:

Eric L (01-06-2014), HuskerDB (03-02-2013), whitetips (03-04-2013)

NEFGA Sponsor!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 1,262 Posts

Well HuskerDB and I made a go at it today. We didn't catch too many but we did stick one musky in the net. If it was easy they'd call it catching.

Throwing a Smithwick Rogue Perfect 10. If you like the HJ14 Husky Jerk you'll like the Perfect 10. It dives a little deeper than the HJ14, comes with better hooks & split rings than the regular rogues and is larger too.

Last edited by bradh; 05-11-2013 at 12:47 AM.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bradh For This Useful Post:

DEMolishedyou2 (05-13-2013), Eric L (01-06-2014), HuskerDB (05-13-2013), NEmusky (05-14-2013), shb (05-11-2013)

Thanks

Thanks again Brad for allowing me the chance to ride along with you. Can't say enough how much I appreciate not only having the chance to fish with you but also have you share your perspective as well as answering the dozens of questions I had on lures, line, and gear. Hope to add a pic of myself with one of these critters before ice up.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HuskerDB For This Useful Post:

bradh (05-13-2013)