Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So once again it's time to ask, How good are the Jays really?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vikes forever View Post
    I agree...and I'm gonna call my shot and say Illinois State is going to win the MVC tourney.
    I think if that happens either Creighton or Wichita State will be out. I can't see 3 teams from this conferance going.
    The wolf is always at the door.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,836 Times in 1,128 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gwhunter View Post
    I think if that happens either Creighton or Wichita State will be out. I can't see 3 teams from this conferance going.
    Who knows...it guess it would depend on how many conference championship upsets there are. Certainly would put a premium on them not losing early...if there wasn't already.
    "Si, you just ate poop."

Thanks

Wich St would be the odd man out I believe. CU would be reg season champ and then Ill ST is MVC tourney champ. I can't either I see it as 2 bid league.

Thanks

Completely agree. That conference is way too weak to have 3 teams in the tourney. If this happens, the Shockers won't be dancing.
    "Where's the booze?"
    "I just got robbed by a little old lady on a motorized cart...and I didn't even see it comin!"

Thanks

Winning the Valley tourney boosted Creighton into that dreaded 8 seed as of this morning's bracketology...hopefully some teams lose early that are ahead of them and they could slide into a 7 seed.
    "Si, you just ate poop."

Thanks

I am thinking and hoping that the way they finished the year they might get to a 6 seed.
    The wolf is always at the door.

Thanks

Creighton obviously and I think Wich St is in as well. Vikes you might have made things interesting losing to Purdue. They prob better not go one n done in Chi this week.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Huntges11 View Post
    Creighton obviously and I think Wich St is in as well. Vikes you might have made things interesting losing to Purdue. They prob better not go one n done in Chi this week.
    Gophers should be in regardless. Still hanging around a 9 seed.
    "Si, you just ate poop."

Thanks

CU and Wich St both in, who called that one?

VIkes I like your matchup. Just hoping the "right" Gopher squad shows up.

Thanks

CU and Wich St both in, who called that one?

VIkes I like your matchup. Just hoping the "right" Gopher squad shows up.
    Me too.
    Gophers come ready to play, I like their chances to make a sweet 16 run. If they don't, they could easily get beaten by 20 by UCLA. An embarassing first round exit could make Tubby's seat really hot.

Surprised no one is talking about Creighton's move to the Big East next season. With the jump in prestige teams that are going to be coming to Omaha every season, and the possiblity that Creighton will have an easier time getting bigger programs to come to Omaha in the noncon, basketball watching in Omaha could be pretty entertaining starting next season...if Creighton can be competitive with the G-Towns, Butlers, Nova, etc. that is.
    Last edited by Vikes forever; 03-18-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    "Si, you just ate poop."

Thanks

I love the move and hope it happens. I am so tired of watching mid-level basketball. Even though CU struggles at times against MVC teams, lets face it, it is the MVC and the conference is pretty poor. So glad to see top caliber teams come to Omaha to play. Georgetown in Omaha!! Who wouldn't want to see that!!! I think they can compete and it will certainly give them a better shot at some at large bids come tourney time if they can stay in the hunt and continue to win close to 20 each year.

Now about this tourney, Cincy is a very tough draw!!! Good D and a very slow tempo game. We will find out early if CU will be able to push the tempo. If not, don't be shocked to see the Jays go 1 and done.
    "Where's the booze?"
    "I just got robbed by a little old lady on a motorized cart...and I didn't even see it comin!"

Thanks

I was staying away from the CU to Big East topic as I was trying not to be a doom and gloomer. A buddy and I were talking why is it we are the only ones who see it as a BAD MOVE for CU. Ever hear the saying, know who you are? Look at that new conf and tell me where are the wins are coming from? I looked at the standings last week and only 2 teams were under .500 in conf . 5 teams were expected to make the Tournament with arguably two other teams worthy or possible play-in candidates. Tell me how many of the 18,000 CU fans will be showing up next year when CU is 11-9 and 1-8 going into the last half of conf play? The first year maybe the crowds are good. Sure G'town and the name schools will draw big, but how long will the sweater vest crowd keep going to see Marquette pound CU by 20+? When attendance drops to 6-7,000 maybe, and CU is barely making the NIT it won't look like such a good move then. Drake, ind St, and S Ill aren't in the Big East guys. They thought the Valley was so tough because everybody knew each other so well....Guess how tough it will be when the other team shows up and they are faster, taller, stronger and more athletic than you???
    Last edited by Huntges11; 03-18-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks

I disagree to the extent that I think CU can hang with most of these teams. I was tired of them playing nobody prior to conference play however the good teams they did play they hung with. All teams go thru a rut in their schedule and it will probably be worse in the big easy but at least when it happens then your schedule still has meaning. Remember the years when CU would lose a bunch of conference games in a bad conference and had to hope and pray to get in with little to no shot. Now in this conference, you go .600 and you've got a shot depending on the variables. Will it be easy, nope, but they will compete just as NU will in the Big 10 in a few years. It will all come down to recruiting. You don't think that recruits seeing big names on the schedule will help draw them in. I'd bet it helps a lot more than seeing Indiana State on the schedule. I know if I had the chance to play Georgetown, Villanova, and Butler a couple times a year I'd jump at the chance. The reason big schools don't come to Omaha to play them now is the fear they might get beat by a mid-major and hurt their tourney resume. Now we don't have to worry about that anymore. It will be a big boy league and it's up to them to step up.

Also, no way the CU alumni will stop showing up. It's more of a social thing than a basketball thing. That place will be packed for years to come. I love the move. I guess I'm to the point where as a fan I'm not satisfied watching them win just because they play in such a bad conference.
    "Where's the booze?"

Thanks

Bluejays are 1 and done. Cincy is too physical and play some serious D.

Thanks

I guess we'll find out Fri when they play Cincy, who is in the Big East By the way. Next year, except instead of a neutral-site game they will have half their conf schedule on the road playing teams just like Cincy a couple times per week. The other games they will get at home with half those teams being Gtown, 'Nova, Butler, and Marquette. Not Drake or Bradley. I just don't see CU hanging with those teams on a weekly basis.

Thanks

With the other half being the likes of St. Johns, Seton Hall, Depaul, Providence and Xavier...who I think Creighton should be able to hang around with on a weekly basis. While it's going to take a couple recruiting cycles to attempt to bring in the caliber of athlete to compete/contend with the G-Towns, the level of kids this new conference should open up to Creighton will hopefully allow that. I like that Creighton has swung for the fences and is casting their lot with this higher profile conference. In this day and age of conference realignment, I think that quote from Shawshank Redemption, "get busy living, or get busy dying" is fitting.
    Last edited by Vikes forever; 03-19-2013 at 03:03 PM.
    "Si, you just ate poop."

Thanks
    Blog Entries

With the type of players Creighton currently has on its roster they will not compete in the big east. However, they surely will bring in better talent when you start telling recruits they will be playing in MSG, and playing big time basketball!

Thanks

We'll see how good Creighton is in a couple hours possibly, or after work today if your boss isn't away, lol. Love the Big Dance but failed to get my picks dropped off at the LJS offices for the local newspaper contest this year. And missed most of the contests yesterday. If you are only going to be able to watch a few games, I'd say don't miss Miami and Larkin.

It's hard for me to even recognize basketball these days, wow. Except for the ten foot hoop, it's just not the same game I grew up on back in the 70s, with Willis Reed and Walt Frazier and the like. And just try to imagine the game now, say, through Harold's eyes (George Mikan, Dolph Shayes).
    Last edited by tenwindows; 03-22-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    The only decent thing I did when I worked as a postal clerk
    Was to haul your picture down off the wall near the cage where I used to work

-- Bob Dylan

Thanks

I thought Harold once said he quit watching basketball when the made the move away from using peach baskets as 'hoops'.
    "Si, you just ate poop."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Vikes forever For This Useful Post:

tenwindows (03-22-2013)

Thanks

Maybe holdemplyer will come along soon to verify this, but I think I heard from someone on the forum that Harold may have been born before peaches.
    Last edited by tenwindows; 03-22-2013 at 11:25 AM.
    The only decent thing I did when I worked as a postal clerk
    Was to haul your picture down off the wall near the cage where I used to work

-- Bob Dylan