Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEFGA at the NGPC Carp-O-Rama 6/23/2012 at Pawnee

Director
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,939 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default NEFGA at the NGPC Carp-O-Rama 6/23/2012 at Pawnee

Wow, is it June this week already?

Holy crud!! That means it must be almost time for my favorite NGPC event of the summer, the NGPC Carp-O-Rama at Pawnee SRA on 6/23/2012 starting at 8:00 a.m.

There will be a variety of family activities going centered around, of course, carp fishing. My favorite part of this NGPC event has to be the carp eating!! Also included again will be the popular and cool fishing printing for the youngsters as well as demonstrations on carp cleaning and cooking by NGPC staff and other volunteers from around the area.

The NEFGA forum is slated to give some assistance to the NGPC at this activity this year.

Hundreds and hundreds of folks usually show up for this thing and at times it gets a little hairy for the NGPC getting everyone registered and supplied with gear and bait and headed to the water quickly.

You can help out in a number of ways at this year's Pawnee Carp-O-Rama.
    What we need mostly is just warm bodies. If you can show up and lend a hand, that would be fantastic! To list what we we are looking for;

#1) We need doughball. Lot's of it. The NGPC provides bait to all the fisherman who need it at this event. The participation at this event is such that the supply of doughball gets stretched a bit thin by late morning. So if you'd like to mix up a batch of your favorite doughball carp bait, we'd love to have it to share for use at this event You can drop your dougball off at the event at Pawnee in the parking lot anytime after 8 a.m. the day of the event, the earlier the better. Arrangements can also be made to pick it up prior to the event from you in the Omaha, Lincoln and Kearney areas.

#2) We need some volunteers at the event early in the morning to help the NGPC staff get all the youngsters signed up for the prize drawing that takes place at lunchtime there at the event. As families show up, the line can get sort of long and we would like to have at least a half-dozen NEFGA forum members on hand for the early part of the morning to simply assist everyone with getting the youngsters registration forms filled out and in the bucket. If you can only do an hour or whatever, that's great

#3) We like to have a few of our resident forum carp-fishing enthusiasts to man the NEFGA forum's booth down on shore at the lake to assist the many, many carp fishing newcomers that will be present with advice on rigging, gear and baiting for carp. You will not have to set up the booth or take it down. All we need is your knowledge, skill and glowing personalities. Yes, Harold, I know, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
    2 out of 3 has gotten me pretty far at times and it will be more than enough for the Carp-O-Rama.

Like Harold, you do not have to be any kind of an "expert" at of this stuff. It's a great opportunity for the youth fishing instructors out there to again take some time to share your love of fishing in general with a number of youngsters. Many of these kids (and their parents) have never touched a fishing pole in their lives and just need someone to show them how much fun and how easy this all is.

All volunteers are welcome and all are certainly needed. Please contact myself or any of the other forum staff if you are inclined to lend a hand for this fantastic, fun,family day of fishing (and food!!) down at Pawnee!

In any event, make plans to get yourself and your kids (or borrow or rent some if need be) down to Pawnee SRA on Saturday, June 23,2012 for the NGPC Carp-O-Rama. (Parking Lot on the east side of the lake, you can't miss it!)
    Become the change in the world that you seek.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Catfishsteve For This Useful Post:

fishtrap (05-28-2012), Harold (05-31-2012), James (05-28-2012), Slimdog (05-29-2012), snowgoose100 (05-28-2012), whitetips (05-29-2012)

Thanks

Of course this is the one and only saturday i have to work in june.... how late does this run? Is there still a need for volunteers after lunch?
    I wish, I wish, I wish to catch a fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,162 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries

I am planning on stoping out and getting familar with YFI trailer and the cooking station for the following weeks white perch tourny.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,388 Times in 963 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowgoose100 View Post
    I am planning on stoping out and getting familar with YFI trailer and the cooking station for the following weeks white perch tourny.
    you care if I catch a ride out there with you randy?!
    Shut Up And Fish!
    ><((((((((()*< ~--------------

Director
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

There would surely still be a need for a little help after lunch. Some folks do continue fishing after lunch.
    Get there for lunch if you can!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnLunger View Post
    you care if I catch a ride out there with you randy?!
    You sure can

Director
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

We're still in need of some batches of doughball. We don't want your secret recipe, unless you care to share. We just need the finished product so that we're sure that we don't fun out of bait for the kids. I'm making my secret strawberry and coconut.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Wheaties work great and are cheap.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,363 Times in 746 Posts

The Pawnee lake channel cats love wheatie balls, might even catch a carp.

Frank

11. The Following User Says Thank You to drcarplove For This Useful Post:

thedarkarcher (06-06-2012)

Director
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,217 Posts

Put me down for a couple batches of doughball, CatfishSteve.
    Looking for ways to help the NEFGA? Check these out!

GoodApp *** Shed/Antlers for NEFGA Fundraiser *** Purchase NEFGA Gear

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slimdog For This Useful Post:

Catfishsteve (06-06-2012)

Thanks

Is the doughbait request specific? I could make quite a bit of the jello variety, or alternate varieties if someone had a different recipe.

More the question, would you want it in bait sized balls, or say like a 5 gallon bucket?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Alswd For This Useful Post:

snowgoose100 (06-06-2012)

Director
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alswd View Post
    Is the doughbait request specific? I could make quite a bit of the jello variety, or alternate varieties if someone had a different recipe.

More the question, would you want it in bait sized balls, or say like a 5 gallon bucket?
    Any flavor, any recipe is welcome, thank you!! The more and more varied the better.
    We probably would want it in bulk. In a old plastic ice cream container or bucket, or something like that.
    We generally give the kids a scoop each in a sandwich baggie and another baggie full of corn, to start.

I've notice that the strawberry jello types of doughbait have done well down there in years past, but we have other recipes, just not enough doughbait in total volume.

Director
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks to everyone who has either posted or contacted me about providing some doughball for the Carp-O-Rama at Pawnee on June 23rd (next Saturday) It's greatly appreciated. If you could bring your bait by between 8 and 9 that morning it would be ideal. If you can't get that until a little later, that's OK too.

We also plan to have the NEFGA "booth" set up down on shore that morning from 8 until lunchtime to provide a place for folks to come and visit for carp fishing tips, bait or whatever other assistance might be needed. There will be a lot of kids and many "non-fishing" parents in attendance that could really use the help. We're still looking for a handful of folks to step up and man the booth for a couple hours each. You can certainly bring your own poles and fish while performing this valuable service as we'll be set up right on the water. It will be great chance to meet a lot of folks and spread some enthusiasm for fishing in general for many of these families that have not taken up fishing yet as a family activity. Shoot me a PM if this sounds like something you'd like to do.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I just talked w Larry Pappe at the G&P and they are still looking for more dough bait. Its comming up fast so if you are planning on donating some let him know. See you there!

Thanks

I plan on being there to help with anything you need Steve.
    All fish in my pics have either been released unharmed or fried to a delicious golden brown.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to steve5966 For This Useful Post:

snowgoose100 (06-18-2012)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Looks like I got put to work by Larry!

Thanks

I called Larry earlier this afternoon. I'll be making up 'some'. Probably make it until my elbow gives out, unless someone has a pro-tip for stirring the stuff together.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Alswd For This Useful Post:

snowgoose100 (06-18-2012)

Thanks

so when are they going to pre chum the area
    there's nothing better then the great outdoors

Thanks

i would like to help with whatever i can during this.. i also need service hours to graduate sooo whats better than volenteering to help people fish?! do i just show up to help or could i contact someone. i am no expert but i think i have enough experience to offer some help or i can atleast tie hooks on bait them help people handel fish.
    Brent

Pointy-head

Thanks
    Thanked 8,101 Times in 3,637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishtrap View Post
    so when are they going to pre chum the area
    This week.

There ain't no sense in pre-baiting very long before the event.

Daryl B.