Thread: Cattle grazing on public land??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 947 Posts

Default Cattle grazing on public land??

In the last 12 years hunting public ground I've never seen anything like this....I looked through the regs and couldn't find any info on this subject. Is it leagal to put up your own fence in a public hunting/fishing area and then turn some cattle loose on it to graze?

I took the afternoon off and went to a public hunting spot to hunt some turkeys and there was new fencing (some barbed wire, and some the single electric looking stuff) running across all the places that used to be open. I was then suprised to see 20+ cows grazing around. I hunted this spot two weeks ago and none of this was there.

I don't see how this can be legal.
    A fairy tale starts out "once upon a time", a fisherman's story starts out "this ain't no bull****".
    ~Captain Phil Harris

If I could not hunt, the only thing that would be left I guess would be to die. ~ Phil Robertson

Director
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,547 Posts

Nothing to be concerned about... It's what we call "feeding time" on Daryl's mountain loin ranch.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,092 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Blog Entries

I only have 2 things to say about this...
    And we are worried about this?

http://www.nefga.org/forum/showthrea...outh-pheasants
    I have hunted ground cattle grazed on. Even 2-3 years later it still sucks for hunting.I would guess what you saw was public ground that is leased to a farmer for grazing by the G & P for a few extra bucks.Im not sure you want to know who paid for that fence that you had to cross but Im betting it wasnt the farmer.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoor_Joe_26 View Post
    In the last 12 years hunting public ground I've never seen anything like this....I looked through the regs and couldn't find any info on this subject. Is it leagal to put up your own fence in a public hunting/fishing area and then turn some cattle loose on it to graze?

I took the afternoon off and went to a public hunting spot to hunt some turkeys and there was new fencing (some barbed wire, and some the single electric looking stuff) running across all the places that used to be open. I was then suprised to see 20+ cows grazing around. I hunted this spot two weeks ago and none of this was there.

I don't see how this can be legal.
    Management strategies can vary. Not all public land is managed the same. USF&W land, NGPC land, NRD land, Corps land, you get the idea. Without saying exactly where you were, identifying the 'manager' of the land will help.

I will say that flash grazing a small area with cattle can accomplish certain goals for long term wildlife benefits.

It does suck when it screws up your hunt, but hopefully the managing agency is looking out for your long-term interests.

Good question and I am sure that someone with more knowledge than I will help fill in the blanks.

Good luck hunting!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,960 Times in 827 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 247fishnhunt View Post
    Management strategies can vary. Not all public land is managed the same. USF&W land, NGPC land, NRD land, Corps land, you get the idea. Without saying exactly where you were, identifying the 'manager' of the land will help.

I will say that flash grazing a small area with cattle can accomplish certain goals for long term wildlife benefits.

It does suck when it screws up your hunt, but hopefully the managing agency is looking out for your long-term interests.

Good question and I am sure that someone with more knowledge than I will help fill in the blanks.

Good luck hunting!!
    ^This.

There are literally dozens of types of public land. Some are "owned" by the gov'mt (Political Subdivisions like City, County, State, Federal, NRDs, Irrigation Districts, etc.), some by non-profits, and others.

Sometimes these lands are donated to public use, but the landowner retains some rights (for grazing or other uses).

So, this could be perfectly legal, and part of the agreement for the land.

Or it may not be. The best thing for you to do is to find out who owns/manages the land and call that agency and ask.
    -----------------------------------------
    -My computer, my time, my opinions

Thanks

When I worked for the NG&P we used it to control smooth brome early in the year or after a controlled burn. The G&P aren't making alot of money off of it, the rancher/farmer usually pays in services like rebuilding fences, cutting cedars, locust, elm, or russian olives. Grazing is another management tool.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sticksnskullsia For This Useful Post:

Scott Eveland (04-27-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 947 Posts

Thanks for the info guys, I've really never heard of such a thing. I'll try to find out who "owns" it and go from there.
    A fairy tale starts out "once upon a time", a fisherman's story starts out "this ain't no bull****".
    ~Captain Phil Harris

If I could not hunt, the only thing that would be left I guess would be to die. ~ Phil Robertson

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoor_Joe_26 For This Useful Post:

The River Rat (05-05-2012)

Thanks

Were was this ? I ran into the same thing at Black Island WMA . About 20 heifers roaming around. New single strand hot wire up all over the place.

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 466 Posts

getting it ready for upland nesting season i bet
    Just cuz you've got a brush dont make you a painter

Eighty percent of success is showing up.

RECOVERING NICOTINE ADDICT SINCE April 6th 2008

13. The Following User Says Thank You to south of 41 For This Useful Post:

snowgoose100 (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 890 Posts

Sucks walking into the marsh when cattle have been there all summer, hoof prints are ankle breakers. I get the concept of why it's done though.

Alex
    waitin' for whitey