Thread: Killer Swan Whacks kayaker

Thanks

Default Killer Swan Whacks kayaker

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...mans-drowning/

ABC News’ Ben Waldron and Colleen Curry report:
    An angry swan is being blamed for knocking a man out of his kayak in a Chicago pond and then continuing to attack until the man drowned.
    Anthony Hensley, 37, of Villa Park, Ill., worked for a company called Knox Swan & Dog which used swans and dogs to keep geese off the condominum’s properties.
    Hensley was in a kayak on the condo’s retention pond checking on the animals Saturday morning when one of the swans swam at him, causing him to fall out of his kayak into the water.
    Frank Bilecki of the Cook County Sheriff’s Department, told ABCNews.com that Hensley struggled to stay above water. Two witnesses saw Hensley resurface a few times in the pond and called police, but by the time crews arrived he had been fully submerged. He was not wearing a life vest, Bilecki said.
    The Chicago Sun Times reported that while Hensley struggled in the water, the swan continued to harass Hensley.
    Dive teams pulled Hensley, a husband and father of two, from the water, but he was pronounced dead at a hospital shortly after.
    Investigators believe Hensley had traveled too close to the swan or swan’s nesting area, prompting the attack. Family and friends are puzzled.
    “Maybe he didn’t fight back enough when the swan attacked him,” said father-in-law George Koutsogiannis. “Maybe he didn’t want to hurt the animal. I can’t understand how this was possible.”
    A memorial fund has been established in Hensley’s name, who was a married father of two. Donations can be sent to Amy Hensley, c/o Steuerle Funeral Home, 350 S. Ardmore Ave. Villa Park, IL 60181.

A father of 2 dying and leaving behind the kids and their mother, very sad. Please wear your life jackets!
    Last edited by Swanhole; 04-18-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,258 Times in 3,396 Posts

Blaming this guy for "vacating his family forever" because he was too stupid to WEAR his lifejacket while in his kayak would probably be considered "insensitive" by some, so I won't do that.

When fishing ALONE, you will find me with a lifejacket ON. It's a promise I made to my family when I acquired my first boat.

Harold F.

(OK, so maybe I've become "insensitive" to these "accidents" over the years. But without someone there to toss you a lifeline, why wouldn't you just WEAR ONE???)
    "If I had a picture, I wouldn't have given you 1,000 words..." OBG

"Perhaps a better way of measuring wealth is by
    the number of unique experiences you have had..." Esther Dyson

These are OUR FISHERIES! Report All Violations!
    ...........................1-800-742-SNAP

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harold For This Useful Post:

Savuka (04-19-2012), Sturgeonbob (04-19-2012), whitetips (04-18-2012)

Thanks

Unfortunate! Ranks up there with not wearing a seatbelt. Seems harmless not wearing it but could be the reason a person is around to see their loved ones. Even though state law does not require a person to wear a lifejacket while in a kayak, this story serves as a perfect reminder why it just makes sense to wear one.
    "Don't tell fish stories where the people know you, but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish" ~Mark Twain

NEFGA Sponsor!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,975 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries

Always WEAR A LIFEJACKET WHILE KAYAKING....ALWAYS WEAR A SEATBELT...AND....JUST IN CASE....WEAR CLEAN UNDERWEAR! This is an unfortunate incident which could have been prevented. Thanks for sharing Savuka!
    "When a fish bites, a primordial jolt shoots along your nerves, stirring a bundle of dark, dusky ganglia deep within your predatory brain."
    North American Fisherman-Feb 2006
    Kayakjak
    kayakjak.com is a paid NEFGA sponsor

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kayakjak For This Useful Post:

Harold (04-19-2012)