Thread: kayaks at Menards, while they last.

Thanks

Default kayaks at Menards, while they last.

If you are looking for a cheap kayak for the pond or to see if you will like kayak fishing menards has them on sale now until they are gone. $169, south Lincoln Menards had about 20 or so left, comes w the paddle too.
    "Beer does not make you fat, it makes you lean - against poles, bars, tables and stools!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chasin 'eyes For This Useful Post:

CARTMATT (03-30-2012)

Thanks

friend of mine bought one last year to fish farm ponds and takes it to Big Alkali, gets along fine with it.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.-Dr. Seuss

Thanks

I saw our local Walmart has three models to choose from also...If the big box stores are selling them I think Kayak fishing is going mainstream big time...which is good, maybe people will stop staring and whispering about me paddling around like they have for the last few years. (maybe it's my hat they are pointing at though now that I think about it)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sturgeonbob For This Useful Post:

gn83tm (03-31-2012), Savuka (04-01-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 838 Posts

Several big box stores are selling them. Even the huge retailers Alco and Pamida have them here in Ogallala!!!!

Just a word to the wise: You get what you pay for. Those cheap ones are decent starters, but they tend to be very heavy and I've heard some horror stories on warping. Not saying that they are all bad, but just be careful.
    -----------------------------------------
    -My computer, my time, my opinions

Thanks

Could be a lot of things, Bob

I'm kind of on the fence in regards to the big boxes selling these cheap yaks. I bought a cheap Pelican from a guy last year. His brother bought it to fish out of and soon decided that he hated kayak fishing, and he'll never try it again. If I started out yak fishing in that thing I'd probably be of the same opinion. Makes a decent boat for a Sunday afternoon river float with friends though.
    Terry

"Oh! You can't sleep either? Let's go fishing!"
    (Words from my dad at 4:30 AM when we were kids on vacation - after he shook us all awake! I wish he was still here to do that.)

Thanks

I agree the quality may not be there on these things but the price is low and it gets people to try it out. Hopefully with some success, and hopefully with the understanding of the "get what you pay for" concept. I will say I cant imagine they track that well after looking them over today at wallyworld...really short and fat. Even more so than my FS10 and it's kinda a pig.

NEFGA Sponsor!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,974 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries

I remember getting a kayak 14 years ago and it was one of those cockpit type and around 8 foot long. A cheapy for sure but it worked for me my first year. After that I checked into those sit on tops that Florida and California guys were using. Found a Wilderness Systems kayak in Florida. Have not looked back since. If you really want a fishing machine though the Jackson Coosa is the master fishing kayak for our small lakes and ponds and if you are looking for speed and light weight the Emotion Stealth is an excellent choice. The main thing is that you will be able to fish waters that no boat is going to get into and the experience is second to none. Yes, I do sell kayaks but my main emphasis throughout the years has been to promote kayak fishing in Nebraska and the midwest. If any of you ever want to try one out I am always willing to offer a free demo if I am in your neck of the woods. Kayaks are busting the waters all around our state now and it is fun to see so many people having fun catching fish, watching birds, or just paddling around in them. Just my two cents worth.
    "When a fish bites, a primordial jolt shoots along your nerves, stirring a bundle of dark, dusky ganglia deep within your predatory brain."
    North American Fisherman-Feb 2006
    Kayakjak
    kayakjak.com is a paid NEFGA sponsor

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kayakjak For This Useful Post:

Sandbilly (04-01-2012), Scott Eveland (04-01-2012)

Thanks

Had an email this morning from a guy who looked at buying one of my yaks back in December. He bought 2 of the Menards boats and is wondering what is the best way to haul them on his car. This brought to mind another issue with folks buying these cheap boats - will they properly transport them so they don't end up in my car when I'm following them down the freeway? I don't see most of these folks spending more than they did for the boats to get the proper Thule or Yakima racks to keep everyone safe. Just something to think about.
    Terry

(Words from my dad at 4:30 AM when we were kids on vacation - after he shook us all awake! I wish he was still here to do that.)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gn83tm For This Useful Post:

kayakjak (04-01-2012)

Thanks

I see entering into kayaking the same as anything else, say Mountain biking, you are not going to purchase a $1,000.00 bike to see if you like it. People that purchase the cheaper ones are just entering the first phase of the experience and it either keeps going or not.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.-Dr. Seuss

Thanks

Definetly not like my otter but great for the kids on the pond and for someone trying out fishing or on a budget. They are not that heavy but I do see the issue with warping. Would make sure to store out of the sun and upright.
    "Beer does not make you fat, it makes you lean - against poles, bars, tables and stools!

Thanks

My mother in law bought one of these so all of us can use it at the lake. I am excited to see how it handles. Not sure I would trust fishing out of one just yet. It will for sure be fun for the little kids and big kids this summer.
    "...it's amazing how grown men can turn into squealing, giggling school girls at the mention of a fish or game animal." ~Fishingnerd33~

(This quote was too good not to use.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeonbob View Post
    I saw our local Walmart has three models to choose from also...If the big box stores are selling them I think Kayak fishing is going mainstream big time...which is good, maybe people will stop staring and whispering about me paddling around like they have for the last few years. (maybe it's my hat they are pointing at though now that I think about it)
    Staring and whispering about a kayak! You should hear what people say as I float by the bridges over Holmes Lake in my float tube! My favorites: from last saturday, "Oh my god, look at this chair thingy!!! Where are his legs?!?!"; and from last summer, "I really like your dingy. It's really cute!" Hah!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ericein View Post
    Staring and whispering about a kayak! You should hear what people say as I float by the bridges over Holmes Lake in my float tube! My favorites: from last saturday, "Oh my god, look at this chair thingy!!! Where are his legs?!?!"; and from last summer, "I really like your dingy. It's really cute!" Hah!
    Ok, you got me beat. . No dingy comments yet... But when I throw the fly fishing into the Kayak/Hat equation..I watched a guy in his very expensive new bassboat point and whisper to his passenger regarding my "odd" behaivor and run smack into a huge tree sticking out of the water last year.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sturgeonbob For This Useful Post:

kayakjak (04-02-2012), Savuka (04-01-2012)

Thanks

If anyone reads this thread and is debating a first kayak let me offer a testimonial. I've caught more and nicer fish since buying a yak then in the previous 10years of fishing combined. Today I went way back in the slime where no trolling motor would have a prayer, out of the wind, and into the fish....I dont care if it's the S.S. Wally World model or top of the line, give it a shot folks.

Thanks

I was fishing a small public pond last year, with a fly rod, in my yak, and was hauling in bass and gills left and right. A lady on the bank made a rather loud and rude comment to her husband/SO (they were catching zilch): That SOB is cheating! I just smiled and kept at it but I kept an eye on them to see if she'd give him a pounding right there
    Terry

Thanks

How would a kayak fare on the refuge lakes where it is always windy? Won't you constantly be blown into the reeds?

Thanks

NEcoyoteHunter, you fish on the other side of the lake, just like the rest of do when the wind blows at the refuge. If the wind isn't that bad then being in the reeds isn't a bad place to be anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NECoyoteHunter View Post
    How would a kayak fare on the refuge lakes where it is always windy? Won't you constantly be blown into the reeds?
    I run a retractable dog leash anchor rig that stands up to the wind pretty well....It definitely feels the wind, don't get me wrong. Hopefully I can let you know how it does, really wanting to get up there and fish them after just driving by on the return from our Merrit paddling trip last year.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gn83tm View Post
    Had an email this morning from a guy who looked at buying one of my yaks back in December. He bought 2 of the Menards boats and is wondering what is the best way to haul them on his car. This brought to mind another issue with folks buying these cheap boats - will they properly transport them so they don't end up in my car when I'm following them down the freeway? I don't see most of these folks spending more than they did for the boats to get the proper Thule or Yakima racks to keep everyone safe. Just something to think about.
    Need a rack still............. http://www.nefga.org/forum/showthrea...-or-Kayaks-LOT
    Ben Garver

I say we fish 5 days and work 2 days!!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Walleye tracker For This Useful Post:

gn83tm (04-03-2012)