Thread: How to wire 3 bank charger to 3 batteries (2 for 24v trolling motor, 1 for starting)

Thanks

Default How to wire 3 bank charger to 3 batteries (2 for 24v trolling motor, 1 for starting)

I need some help. I am upgrading, but need some advice on the installation. I now have 3 batteries, 2 for the 24v trolling motor in sequence with a jumper from the neg. on one batt to the pos. on the other batt, and 1 for starting the outboard. I have a 3 bank charger to hook up to all of the batteries. My main question is this: do I need to disconnect the jumper from the trolling motor batteries when I am charging them or can I leave it on? It just seems like there wouldn't be any charge going on if I left it on. Also, should I then make one side of the jumper a clip for easier removal? All thoughts and comments are welcome, including those saying that I'm an idiot for not knowing. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,180 Times in 3,354 Posts

CFH, you (seriously!) need to locate the info sheet/manual for your 3-bank charger! Is there a "selector switch" for the three banks or just an "on" switch, or even to a lesser "plug it in" turns ALL banks on?

I purchased a 10 amp, 2-bank onboard charger last summer. The information sheet stunned me to a degree. I'm not sure what I was thimkin' since I DO have a fairly solid background in batteries and charging them.

MY instruction sheet made it CLEAR that I was NOT to charge two like/unlike 12v batteries with DIFFERENT CHARGES! In other words, My MNK deep cycles (2) that I run separate electronics on will rarely if EVER have the same "charge" at the end of the day/trip. It also says to NEVER charge a "wet" with one bank and a "gel" with the other.

Of course NONE OF THIS CAME UP in the brochure or from the "sales agent".

The info sheet tells me when I charge the lone gel battery, connect BOTH pairs of terminals the the gel battery. Makes sense since without a "switch" the other pair is "live"!

IF I was running my two MNK bats as a 24v system (which means they both have "lost charge" equally) I would simply connect each battery as stand-a-lones with one pair of connectors to each. The manual DOES tell me how to connect to 24V set-ups, but since I don't use it, I don't remember what it says about it!

I would gladly make a late nite trip to the storage unit across town and remove the 5' drift in front of the garage door to retrieve the manual which is located in a water tight container in one of my boats storage unit, but quite frankly, the probability that my unit instructions may not match YOURS pressures me to save the trip!

You SHOULD be able to locate an info sheet/manual for YOUR onboard 3-bank charger. If not, toss the brand/model# on here and maybe a Member has a manual for an identical unit.

Seriously.

Harold F.
    Last edited by Harold; 02-05-2012 at 01:40 AM.
    "If I had a picture, I wouldn't have given you 1,000 words..." OBG

"Perhaps a better way of measuring wealth is by
    the number of unique experiences you have had..." Esther Dyson

These are OUR FISHERIES! Report All Violations!
    ...........................1-800-742-SNAP

Thanks

Harold, you know the idiot part that I put in the first post? Now is the time. I have not even opened the box to the charger yet, but I will, and read it over today. Are you upset that I don't have any words in all caps? Thanks for the early warnings though.
    Last edited by CatfisHunter; 02-06-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks

this is from my 3 bank pro sport (cabelas) manual. my bass pro is the same. make sure you have the charge profile right .blk is lead-acid. grey is gel. should be marked on the cap also. should be 3 cables 2 should be marked " trolling motor," the other :starting motor" each with plus or neg connections, trolling bat, red to pos. yellow to neg,same on other trolling bat. #3 output goes to motor bat, each output is isolated. so should,nt have to disconnect any wires while charging, hope this helps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hot rod For This Useful Post:

Harold (02-06-2012)

Thanks

?????????????????????

Thanks

Well the instructions were of no help. My main worry is that how can it be charging two batteries at the same time if there is a "jumper" connecting the negative on one to the positive on the other. I think I am going to just make a jumper with a clip on one side so it will be easy to remove when charging.

Thanks

So, just for you, CFH, I went "the extra mile".

No, I didn't go visit my "boat shed"! Ha! I called RANDY at the Cabela's retail store in Kearney. He pretty much quoted Hot Rod's advice...

NO you don't need to disconnect the "jumper' on your two 12v bats that are connected as 24v! Put the trolling motor "connectors" on as if they were stand-a-lone 12v bats.

The third "pair" of connectors are for a stand-a-lone bat, usually the motor's starting bat. On MY 2 bank, BOTH PAIRS ARE LIVE when plugged in. Your's may NOT BE, but since the OBC is designed to be hooked up and left hooked up, it should not be a concern for you. Put it on your starting battery!

Randy concluded with Hot Rods advice about remembering to select the proper battery (lead acid- black bats/Gel- gray bats) if your unit provides one. The charging properties ARE DIFFERENT!

Harold F.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Harold For This Useful Post:

CatfisHunter (02-06-2012)

Thanks

Thanks for the "extra mile" Harold! I REALLY appreciate all of your "input" while HELPING me out. I "owe" YOU one!

Am I "using" the QUOTATION MARKS and caps properly? I love your posts, because I can actually hear you saying what you type instead of just reading it. Thanks again!

Thanks

should have 6 wires on battery charger. Do Not worry about the jumper wire. Just hook up each red/black pair of wires to each individual battery.

Thanks

Do like fishrbitn said. Hook each set of leads to each battery. The jumper wire doesnt affect anything. It doesnt complete a circuit with only the + of one battery and - of the other connected. And remeber AGM batteries are not Gel in case you are using them.

Thanks

The reason that you don't need to disconnect the jumper is because the other battery is not really a part of the circuit with respect to the charger because the circuit is everything between the positive and negative pole of your charger leads. The jumper is like a dead end road because only one end of it is attached. It doesn't lead anywhere in that circuit. The only way that electricity would flow across the jumper is if you mistakenly connected one of the charger leads to one battery and the other charger lead to the other. Then you would have a circuit that included the jumper. Don't know if that helps or not.
    All fishermen are born honest ... but they soon get over it. --- Ed Zern