Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer stuck on a fence?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Deer stuck on a fence?

This is not my pic,(I found thispic on google, its similar to how the deer was stuck) but last night, I was going to pick up my son from basketball. He practices by the Elkhorn river, and when I turned the corner a deer, that had just jumped a 6 foot metal fence, saw me, spun around and attemted to jump back over the fence. Unfortunately it slipped on the top of the fence and impailed itself. I went to his coaches house and borrowed a ice chipper so I could try and push the deer off. She was hanging head down on the other side of the fence, and her back feet were facing me. I attempted to push her up and over the spade shaped fence post, but she was not very happy. She kicked the ice chopper out of my hands, so I gave up. I saw a car parked about 20 feet away. When I took the pick back I wanted to go back and take a picture of the deer, but it was gone, and the car was gone too. I a not sure if somebody got the deer off, or it freed itself. It looked really similar to this pic, except it was hooked through the side on the belly. Do you think the deer freed itself? Or do you think the guy in the car somehow got the deer off? Just wondering, Rob
    Last edited by nedyarb; 01-19-2012 at 02:15 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nedyarb For This Useful Post:

Dad O. (01-20-2012)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nedyarb View Post
    This is not my pic, but last night, I was going to pick up my son from basketball. He practices by the Elkhorn river, and when I turned the corner a deer, that had just jumped a 6 foot metal fence, saw me, spun around and attemted to jump back over the fence. Unfortunately it slipped on the top of the fence and impailed itself. I went to his coaches house and borrowed a ice chipper so I could try and push the deer off. She was hanging head down on the other side of the fence, and her back feet were facing me. I attempted to push her up and over the spade shaped fence post, but she was not very happy. She kicked the ice chopper out of my hands, so I gave up. I saw a car parked about 20 feet away. When I took the pick back I wanted to go back and take a picture of the deer, but it was gone, and the car was gone too. I a not sure if somebody got the deer off, or it freed itself. It looked really similar to this pic, except it was hooked through the side on the belly. Do you think the deer freed itself? Or do you think the guy in the car somehow got the deer off? Just wondering, Rob
    Poor form, poor post, should be deleted in my opinion.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Why? Feel free to PM me if you would prefer!

Thanks

Two things confuse me about the picture. One the deer is in velvet(at least appears to me). Second it's a mulie and given ur location it shows omaha/millard. Either way i would imagine that would have to be fatal.
    Shoot 'em in the lips

It'll be aight, they make more

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That's not my picture! That's similar to how the deer was stuck. I tried getting the deer off but she kept kicking at me so I gave up. The deer I saw was stuck through the gut, but was on the other side of the fence, with her back legs kicking through the fence. The pic you see was taken from the web!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 569 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 247fishnhunt View Post
    And why is that? It's not gory or in poor taste...he didn't post it claiming he thought it to be funny or making light of it. I don't think it is as bad as posts showing pictures of recent, bloody kills, deer heads recently cut off the carcass, or freshly gutted animals. If he had posted his questions/concerns for the health of the deer without a visual representation of what he had seen and asking about, peoiple would have not been able to visualize what he was asking. When I saw the title of the post, I assumed there would be pictures of some sort. Knowing this, I made the choice to view the post, just as YOU CHOSE to view the post. This is a hunting/fishing forum...if you have a weak stomach or are squemish, I suggest a different venue for you.
    Last edited by barmandr; 01-19-2012 at 03:27 AM.

8. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to barmandr For This Useful Post:

247fishnhunt (01-19-2012), Bennington Bandit (01-20-2012), BPbowhunter (01-19-2012), bradh (01-20-2012), Crazysnake (01-22-2012), Dad O. (01-20-2012), epb35085 (01-19-2012), fishrbitin (01-20-2012), friggidy (01-20-2012), huntandfish (01-20-2012), jasper (01-20-2012), kabob48 (01-19-2012), Kodiakman (01-19-2012), minnowmaker (01-19-2012), mitch714 (01-19-2012), outdoorsman621 (01-21-2012), snowgoose100 (01-20-2012), TEAMCAJUN (01-19-2012), Ty S (01-21-2012), vizslaguy08 (01-19-2012)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I thought you were going to say his head was stuck
    "If your having fishing problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one." jay-z

Thanks

One way or the other I'm glad it got off. Would have been a slower more painful death for the deer had it hung there impaled. If it got off on it's own, I would imagine it would bleed out faster than still being impaled. If whoever was in the car removed it, they would have had to put it out of it's misery first or deal with the same problems you had.

Ummmm... Huh? Looks like a concerned fellow sportsman trying to make sense of something senseless. What's the problem?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kodiakman For This Useful Post:

220swift (01-19-2012), Dad O. (01-20-2012)

Thanks

He clearly states in the first sentence it was not his picture! Some people just skim through post and comment on things they did not take the time to read. Rob you should have called me I would of helped you rescue/salvage the poor deer after it had deceased.
    "I'm a man I can change if I have to I guess" Red Green

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 24 HUNTER For This Useful Post:

Dad O. (01-20-2012)

Banned
    Thanks

Why? Feel free to PM me if you would prefer!
    I guess I could have PM'd you, as you could have PM'd me for my reasoning for my post.

Hind sight is 20/20 but I would have ended the critter's suffering in the quickest manner possible rather than thinking to go back to try to take a picture of a deer skewered on a fence to share with others.

Calling law enforcement or your local CO would have allowed the critter to be dispatched as humanely as possible.

Nothing against you personally, you did what you could and thought to do at the time.

At the very least this isn't a hunting topic and should be moved to the appropriate category.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Wow, someone had a bad day.......

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spamaloap For This Useful Post:

247fishnhunt (01-19-2012), Dad O. (01-20-2012)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barmandr View Post
    And why is that? It's not gory or in poor taste...he didn't post it claiming he thought it to be funny or making light of it. I don't think it is as bad as posts showing pictures of recent, bloody kills, deer heads recently cut off the carcass, or freshly gutted animals. If he had posted his questions/concerns for the health of the deer without a visual representation of what he had seen and asking about, peoiple would have not been able to visualize what he was asking. When I saw the title of the post, I assumed there would be pictures of some sort. Knowing this, I made the choice to view the post, just as YOU CHOSE to view the post. This is a hunting/fishing forum...if you have a weak stomach or are squemish, I suggest a different venue for you.
    It's nice to see some of the folks that registered back in the day responding to some threads and adding to the conversation.

No weak stomach here. I would have dispatched that critter quickly.

I'm pretty sure people could visualize a deer hanging on a fence by the written description just fine without a picture.

How does going back for a camera resolve the situation?

Thanks

it's nice to see some of the folks that registered back in the day responding to some threads and adding to the conversation.

No weak stomach here. I would have dispatched that critter quickly.

I'm pretty sure people could visualize a deer hanging on a fence by the written description just fine without a picture.

How does going back for a camera resolve the situation?
    he didn't take the picture!!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DUHunt For This Useful Post:

247fishnhunt (01-19-2012)

Thanks

It should be considered this picture could have been taken by a Reporter, police officer, security personnel, Insurance company representative, or a humane society personnel and was used solely to file an incident report and not glorify the unfortunate event. I have seen quite a few pictures of animal vehicle incidents in the news and other official media outlets that have been openly displayed for all to see without much consideration for some individuals feelings toward the images..

A Big problem I see on here is readers dont always interpret the threads intent as the author intended it and in some other cases post without reading previous comments and make an assumption of the course of the discussion has traveled and make post based on that assumption.

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Leupold For This Useful Post:

247fishnhunt (01-19-2012), Dad O. (01-20-2012), Frosch (01-20-2012), JKL (01-19-2012), kabob48 (01-20-2012), Kenai King (01-19-2012), Omaha (01-20-2012), snowgoose100 (01-20-2012)

Banned
    Thanks

This is not my pic,(I found thispic on google, its similar to how the deer was stuck) ........ When I took the pick back I wanted to go back and take a picture of the deer, but it was gone, and the car was gone too. ........ Just wondering, Rob
    Direct quotes that I addressed in my comments. 1. Who searches for a picture of a deer stuck on a fence to post on a forum? 2. Obviously not his pic....said so right away and I never said it was. 3. Why go back to take a pic of a deer stuck on a fence rather than find a way to put a suffering critter out of its misery?

Have I been too obtuse in my thoughts?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Leupold View Post
    It should be considered this picture could have been taken by a Reporter, police officer, security personnel, Insurance company representative, or a humane society personnel and was used solely to file an incident report and not glorify the unfortunate event. I have seen quite a few pictures of animal vehicle incidents in the news and other official media outlets that have been openly displayed for all to see without much consideration for some individuals feelings toward the images..

A Big problem I see on here is readers dont always interpret the threads intent as the author intended it and in some other cases post without reading previous comments and make an assumption of the course of the discussion has traveled and make post based on that assumption.
    I agree 100 percent which is why I directly quoted the original posts in my response.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DUHunt View Post
    he didn't take the picture!!!
    Never said he did. Quote my thread that I did. There are a lot of edited posts on this forum to change things around, but you won't find that I did here.

But he took the time to search the web for, 'deer stuck on fence' to include a photo. Was that needed?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spamaloap View Post
    Wow, someone had a bad day.......
    Sorry you did....wanna talk about it?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Never said he did. Quote my thread that I did. There are a lot of edited posts on this forum to change things around, but you won't find that I did here.

But he took the time to search the web for, 'deer stuck on fence' to include a. photo. Was that needed?
    The only edit I put on the original post was to clarify that I got the picture off the internet. The only reason I put that picture on here, was to show how the deer was stuck. And that's almost exactly how the deer was hanging, except its entire body was over the fence, and he was stuck through his belly. Thinking back, the deer was not bleeding at all and may have lived. My initial reaction was not to take a pic. It was to try and push the deer up and over the spade shaped prong that it was caught on. It wasn't until I went back to pick up my son that I even thought about using my cell to take a photo of it. If I had posted a pic of the deer on the fence would that have made a difference? I have not been around a lot of deer in my life, and it was certainly the first time I was actually touching a live deer! I just thought it was an interesting story to share on an outdoor hunting forum. Rob

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nedyarb For This Useful Post:

Dad O. (01-20-2012), kabob48 (01-20-2012), snowgoose100 (01-20-2012)

Thanks

I would have done the same thing....I mean how many times will you see a deer stuck on a fence? I did see the skeleton stuck on a fence once a few years ago. Sad way to go for sure.

I also get the other side as well though. Funny how two people can see the same thing completely different.....

Chris
    "Never pass up a bathroom, never waste a good time and never trust a fart."

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Halen For This Useful Post:

Dad O. (01-20-2012), snowgoose100 (01-20-2012)