Thread: Barbed wire fence cut on dog- what to do?

Thanks

Default Barbed wire fence cut on dog- what to do?

My dog has had only a few cuts in the past and all 3 of those were quite large and jagged so it was a no brainer to take him in for stitches. This morning he tried to go under a fence and got a small puncture wound in his shoulder area. It is about the size of a dime and it's basically a hole. Will this require a vet trip or is this something I can treat and let heal? I've cleaned it up and put some triple antibiotic stuff on it and even used some EMT gel. Is there anything else I should be doing. It's not bleeding at all. I really don't want another $100 vet bill for what looks to require maybe just a few stitches. What do you guys do? Any help would be great. Thanks.

By the way, 3 days hunting around Bartley, Trenton and Mccook area- saw 4 birds total all in public spots. Our state needs some serious help.
    "Where's the booze?"
    "I just got robbed by a little old lady on a motorized cart...and I didn't even see it comin!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dlwilson For This Useful Post:

The River Rat (01-01-2012)

Thanks

Not a vet, that said, I would remove the hair from around it and soak a couple times a day in 1 part hydrogen perroxide to 10 parts warm water ( found online) and if fairly small, watch it closely. however rusty wire could make a bad infection. personally..I'd spend the $$$$

Thanks

How much is the dog worth? Would atleast call the vet to see what he thinks. Just my 2 cents.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rjd For This Useful Post:

Harold (01-03-2012)

Banned
    Thanks

On something that small it will probably heal on its own. The only reason Id take him to the vet would be if I planned to go hunting within the next week. I'm on my third shorthair and they're always finding ways to cut themselves. Keep it clean and almost anything will heal on a dog, but one thing I learned from my vet last winter when my puppy more or less slit her wrist on some glass? while I was out ice fishing, if they've got an exposed cut showing through to the muscle during the winter, keep them inside 24hrs. a day except for potty breaks until it seals shut. If you don't the torn skin can get frost bitten even at barely below freezing due to the damaged blood circulation in skin around the wound. Your dog probably won't die if that happens but it will take a lot longer to heal and heal alot uglier if that happens. I was told a week is as long as it takes for the vessels to repair themselves. Three quick observations from past experience. a) he'll probably be fine b)its always nerve wracking worrying about an injured dog c) it generally bothers us a lot more than it bothers them!

Thanks

My Britt blew threw a fence that was hidden and ripped the skin the size of a quarter last week, I gave him a bath and the wound was clean. I put A and D ointment on it everyday when he was busy running around and today it is almost healed. My daughter who is a vet tech says I should have had it sewn up.

I did not go hunting this week because there was still a hole that seeds and dirt could get into.

If you don't go to the vet use the A & D or other ointment to keep the hair out of the wound.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.-Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 467 Posts

if my dogs can lick it i dont do the vet thing . I flush with full strength hydrogen perroxide and keep an eye on it.

I do know stiching needs to take place As soon as possible...

there are staplers on the market you can buy also. http://www.surgik.com/store/home.php...FWvptgodVBj5ng
    Just cuz you've got a brush dont make you a painter

Eighty percent of success is showing up.

RECOVERING NICOTINE ADDICT SINCE April 6th 2008

Thanks

My Vet has told me the opposite to stitching or staples on puncture wounds. He has told me to leave the wound open and clean it, so as to not trap any bacteria that may be in the wound causing an infection. I guess if you are not sure, take em to the vet would be the safe choice! Good Luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticsjunkie View Post
    My Vet has told me the opposite to stitching or staples on puncture wounds. He has told me to leave the wound open and clean it, so as to not trap any bacteria that may be in the wound causing an infection. I guess if you are not sure, take em to the vet would be the safe choice! Good Luck!
    My sheltie got a puncture wound and a deep laceration a while back. I had to take him in for the second of the two and they stitched that one, but left the punture open with aintment on it. They removed some hair around it, but left it open so that it could heal from the inside out. That keeps dirt and bacteria out and allows the tissue to heal smoother. My neighbor at the time who was a vet tech showed me pictures of stitched puntures that turned into infections and cysts and the like. Good luck.

Thanks

Wound looked infected so I took him in. Puncture wound went through every layer or skin and was showing muscle and tissue damage. Due to the size, staples and stitches were not needed but they cut out around the wound to clear away dead & infected tissue and now it looks 3 times as big as it was before. Flushed out the wound again ( I did this about 3 times a day since it happened) and they put him on antibiotics. Claim it will heal from the inside out and should be scabbed over in 2 to 3 weeks. Must hunt with his vest the rest of the year and when he goes I need to lather up the spot heavily with vasoline or neosporin to keep the area moist and stop the scab from rubbing off too soon. This lesson learned cost me around $180 and resulted in 0 birds killed or retrieved. Very expensive hunt for absolutely nothing.
    "Where's the booze?"
    "I just got robbed by a little old lady on a motorized cart...and I didn't even see it comin!"