Thread: Goose lake

Thanks

Default Goose lake

Went to Goose lake on Saturday, water temp 44.3. caught a couple of small northerns and two bass. Vegetation was terrible for this late in the fall, very difficult to manuver. This lake is getting to be a spring fishing lake.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.-Dr. Seuss

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flushmaster For This Useful Post:

BChunter (11-02-2011), BIG B (11-02-2011)

Thanks

"To me it looks like we're layin traps for a couple rats in the garage, when theres a family of bears runnin wild in the house." - from a different message board post

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jimk For This Useful Post:

MrPike (11-02-2011)

Thanks

I was out there last Friday and didn't do well either...my fishing buddy caught one 15" Bass and that was it.
    "Many Men Go Fishing All of Their Lives Without Knowing That It Is Not Fish They Are After."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    Just what I was thinking.....

NEFGA Sponsor!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,032 Times in 1,262 Posts

It has been a rough year there. The fish are still there, just harder to get at. Common carp too large for pike/bass to eat are in it now. It's not the end of the world but I would guess they will eventually overrun the place. No doubt they came in last summer during the flooding in the area. While it's not an ideal place for large pike I have noticed a decline in the number of pike over the mid 20s in length. I'm not sure what the deal with that is. It's still a fun place to fish.

Thanks

It's too bad. Ten or Twelve years ago I would have rated goose with any pike fishery in Nebraska. I had hoped that the no wake designation would have improved things.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Icried when they killed it off

Thanks

I think of the five or six guys that make up our typical group, everyone of them but me caught MA pike at goose at one point or another. Maybe it will grow back at some point.

Pointy-head

Thanks
    Thanked 8,170 Times in 3,673 Posts

There was an Aquatic Habitat Project completed at Goose (http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/fishin...gion=Northeast) and pike have been back in there only since 2004.

And recent floods have had an impact.

There are pike there, including some big fish.

Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
    http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/...nd-backlashes/

Thanks

My wife and I were up there in September. Caught a few bass and saw a few pike lurking around the edges of the mats. But the VEGETATION was terrible. Burned out a circuit breaker on my trolling motor. Daryl, can anything be done to eliminate some of it? A friend of mine who lived up there as a kid remembers water skiing on the lake.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it limits!

NEFGA Sponsor!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,032 Times in 1,262 Posts

There was a pretty good article in Nebraskaland a couple years ago that went through the history of the lake. It's shallow so if you ski there it will turn into a mudhole.

I think the weeds are getting worse because fewer people are fishing there. If you get enough trolling motor or outboard traffic around the place it will knock the weeds down around the edge of the lake where most people fish. After the high water in 2010 fewer people fished there. That's just my theory, there may be other factors.

It's tough to fish but it keeps the riffraff out. I kinda like it that way.

Pointy-head

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Milford41 View Post
    My wife and I were up there in September. Caught a few bass and saw a few pike lurking around the edges of the mats. But the VEGETATION was terrible. Burned out a circuit breaker on my trolling motor. Daryl, can anything be done to eliminate some of it? A friend of mine who lived up there as a kid remembers water skiing on the lake.
    All that aquatic vegetation is fish habitat. Pointy-headed fisheries biologists, and the fish, kind of like it!

Water-skiing has been eliminated at Goose Lake and ain't coming back. Water quality and habitat conditions are far better without it.

I fished Goose in late July 2010, the aquatic vegetation was at its peak at that time. Sure it was hard to get around, and a challenge to fish, but the fish were there and we caught a bunch of them, pike, bass and panfish.

Aquatic vegetation will be at its annual minimum now.

Daryl Bauer
    daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
    http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/...d-backlashes//

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whitetips View Post
    There was an Aquatic Habitat Project completed at Goose (http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/fishin...gion=Northeast) and pike have been back in there only since 2004.

And recent floods have had an impact.

There are pike there, including some big fish.

Daryl Bauer
    daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
    http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/...nd-backlashes/

Shhhhhh!!!!
    "To me it looks like we're layin traps for a couple rats in the garage, when theres a family of bears runnin wild in the house." - from a different message board post

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jimk For This Useful Post:

bradh (12-14-2011)

Thanks

With the flood in 2010 I know a good number of carp managed to get in the lake. Is there anything going to be done about this so that all the money pumped into lake for the restoration project isnt waisted by a result of carp ruining the perch,bass,gill, and pike fishing?

Pointy-head

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BChunter View Post
    With the flood in 2010 I know a good number of carp managed to get in the lake. Is there anything going to be done about this so that all the money pumped into lake for the restoration project isnt waisted by a result of carp ruining the perch,bass,gill, and pike fishing?
    What do you want us to do?

For now there are plenty of predators, pike and bass, to utilize the carp, and perhaps they can eat enough small carp to stay on top of them (maybe anglers at Goose Lake should think about that before they harvest pike and bass??????). At the least we will have a quality fishery for several years yet. If there comes a time when the fish community is dominated by common carp, then it will be time for another rotenone renovation to start the whole cycle over again.

Part of the Goose Lake Aquatic Habitat Project was to install barriers to prevent the re-invasion of carp. But, when it floods on the scale that it did, water gets around barriers and there is nothing that can be done about it. NONE of that means that our Aquatic Habitat Project was a failure or that money was wasted. All of that is just part of managing a fishery in a Nebraska sandhills lake.

Daryl Bauer
    daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
    http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/...d-backlashes//

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to whitetips For This Useful Post:

BChunter (12-16-2011), bowhunt5 (12-16-2011), bradh (12-15-2011), fishrbitin (12-15-2011), Slimdog (12-15-2011), troutbum (12-15-2011)