Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catfish jumping out of the water?

Director
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 769 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Catfish jumping out of the water??

The other day, I thought I saw what I swear was about a 12" catfish jump out of the water as we trolled by. Of course, it could have been anything as it's hard to tell what kind of fish are jumping out of the water, but does anybody know if a catfish will actually jump out of the water while chasing prey (or otherwise)? I know catfish can be caught on cranks and this tells me that they aren't strictly bottom feeders. But jumping out of the water like bass???
    Last edited by Mako; 05-23-2007 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Testing something...
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Thanks

Saw 2 on Sunday at Sherman in 4 foot of water, both looked like 16" or better. While I nailed them and walleye in mid morning. Pretty cool, never seen that before. But the WERE channel cats.

Thanks

Used to see it once in a while many years ago at McConaughy, but haven't seen it in the eastern part of the state that I can remember

Director
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yeah, this was actually down in Kansas. Could have been a carp but sure looked like a catfish to me.

Anyway, so that tells me it's possible that it was a catfish! Thanks! Kind of different to see.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Thanks

Hasn't happened to me yet this year, but both last year and the year before I had one- to two-pound channel cats jump after they were hooked, just like they thought they were trout. Each time it has happened, I've been in my float tube flycasting a sinking nymph into shallow water. In each case, the "take" was probably in less than two feet of water.

Great fun!
    �I think every happy memory plucks a hair from your head; if you see an old bald guy, he�s probably had a great life.� �-Red Green

Banned
    Thanks

Most of the surfacing fish I see in the morning are Channel Cats. They really get rolling when cotton covers the surface.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

When it gets a little warmer, I sound fish them in the pre-dawn with a gulp worm. Just wade out (or stand along the shore) and listen for them to break the surface. Toss the worm at the splash and you'll get a quick reaction strike almost like a bass.

Thanks

I have never seen one jump, but once (1995) at Lewis and Clark, we were in 18 FOW, in literally the middle of the lake over the channel, at about 9 AM, with rare glass water, and the catfish were hitting the surface all around us! We always chalked it up to them eating mayfies or another insect that was on the surface that morning. Anyway, the four us limited out in an hour with 20" to 30" channels. I have never seen that again on many, many trips to that lake since. Nowdays, when we refer to this trip, we call it "the day the catfish were surfacing like whales"!

Thanks

The other night fishing i had a catfish jump out of the water as i was fighting him. I have never had that happened before. I was kinda caught off guard didn't really know what i had on as it was dark but ended up being a 25" catfish. He was released.
    Shoot 'em in the lips

It'll be aight, they make more

Thanks

I personally never see catfish 'jump out' of water other than Carp doing it time to time...however I have seen many times catfish, especially flathead, sweep the surface Boom!! get large amount of baitfish in their mouth.

Thou I have heard that catfish in Omaha area tends to jump out of water to check to see if Alex is around before they start feeding

Banned
    Thanks

Ofcourse they jump out of the water, haven't you ever heard the song Blackwater by the Doobie Brothers?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,490 Times in 623 Posts

I've witnessed a friend of mine catch a about a ten pounder on a buzzbait once. It was a private lake, but the kitties smashed it like a bass would have on the surface.

Thanks

I was bass fishing a couple of weeks ago and had a fish nail my spinner bait and proceed to jump out of the water two times from distance I first thought bass, but then I thought maybe it is a carp, but as I got it closer to shore it was about a 4lb catfish. I think the fish secretly wished he could be a bass.

Thanks

Why do fish jump out of the water? Is it because they are trying to commit suicide?
    There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it!

Director
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, at least I know I'm not TOTALLY crazy now. Just slightly.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LundLover View Post
    Why do fish jump out of the water? Is it because they are trying to commit suicide?
    My freind always says fish jump out of the water because its like them taking a swim in the pool..... but the opposite.

We jump in the water......... they jump in the air..........

hmmmmm, ponderous

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Stromquist View Post
    My freind always says fish jump out of the water because its like them taking a swim in the pool..... but the opposite.

We jump in the water......... they jump in the air..........

I think we got the better deal. It's WAY more fun to jump in the water, and no one is trying to fillet me.
    There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it!

Thanks

yeah, I have see some catfish jump and swim on top of water. it happens at sun down that when I look for them and fish there!

Thanks

Definitely have seen channels jump clear out of the water on more than one occasion, including this guy to take my fly:

Thanks

I got a response from Darryl about why fish jump, and no, it's not co commit suicide. You never know when the wise one is lurking and answering questions.

Saw your question, cannot help but chiming in.

Jumping and "fighting" behavior is actually quite natural. When fish are feeding, if they get something caught in their throat or gills, and that happens frequently, they will often go to the surface and try to dislodge whatever is caught in their throat or gills.

Now why carp jump like they do? I have no clue and have never heard of anyone else that has a good theory.

By the way, I can think of at least one catfish, about a 4-pounder as I recall, that absolutely crushed a spinnerbait in a North Platte River backwater, and then proceeded to jump out of the water a couple of times JUST LIKE A BASS! They are wild creatures and sometimes they do things we do not expect. I know that is one reason I never get tired of fishing and am fascinated by fish. And I am always telling folks that those channel cats are much more predatory than most think. Sure, they are scavengers, but they do a lot more than just swimming around eating "junk" off of the bottom.

Just my $0.02-worth. If there are any questions or anything I can help you with, just let me know.

Daryl Bauer
    Lakes and Reservoirs Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    daryl.bauer@ngpc.ne.gov