Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating big heads

Thanks

Default Eating big heads

OK. . . I saw this post on another site. I want to know what you all think.

Some people say Big Head and Asian Carp are only good for fertilizer.

Others say they are very good eating.

I have noticed many forum members with these fish in the last couple of weeks.

I grew up eating walleye and crappie. In my family it was against the rules to eat anything else because they just were not as good as walleye or crappie. Well, since these days of my childhood, I have definitely expanded. I like all types of fish now.

I often eat Talapia from the store. I don't see Talapia as being that much different from these carp. Can you filet these carp, and how do they taste? By the way, the best management tool for these "rough" fish may be to make them table fare. If people will eat them, their population will stay under control.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,053 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Blog Entries

Many on here say it's just as good as walleye, if not better. I'm going to possibly try this weekend, and if so, will report back.

As it stands now, harvest for table fare by recreational anglers would not have that much of an impact.... If commercialized, with a profit, there is a downside that some would then start purposely introducing them to continue their profit...
    Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Gone, but never forgotten!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to holdemplyer For This Useful Post:

Omaha (04-12-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

Alittle more of a pain to fillet bigheads boneless than other fish but well worth it. Bigheads have infact spoiled me when it comes to eating fish. When i get on the mo river i take a old cooler with a bag of ice and slab them out/leave the skin on for ID and get em on ice as soon as they hit the boat...im not eating nothing thats been in my carp barrel. Lol

Thanks

I would like to try some bighead or asian carp also. Do they have a different taste than buffalo or comon carp?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 740 Posts

That's pretty crazy. It could go either way but if people knew that they tasted good...it would definitely change their minds about keeping them...
    "Releasing a big fish always puts a smile on my face" Jim Buckley
    The greatest catch of my life, June 1, 2013

Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 755 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishon View Post
    I would like to try some bighead or asian carp also. Do they have a different taste than buffalo or comon carp?
    Very different. They tend to have a whiter flesh and less oily. They're actually pretty good, I have eaten it a couple times now. They don't taste anywhere near as strong as carp.
    "If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hooligan For This Useful Post:

fishon (04-11-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,946 Times in 582 Posts

Once I started eating bigheads, I started releasing some game fish that might otherwise have ended up in the freezer.
    It takes some practice to get good at filleting them,...(I'm still trying Eric) but it's not so critical if you waste some carp meat when cutting out the Y bone. It's a good way to put meat in the freezer, and people that can't get much fish really appreciate it!
    They really need to commercialize them as table fair, and export them too. The name CARP is a the biggest deterrent to this meat catching on here at home. The oriental people would buy every one we could export. They originated over there, but are now becoming a rare delicacy to the region.
    Common carp were actually brought to the US as a food source many years ago. I myself could never get a taste for them.
    Last edited by whisker; 04-11-2011 at 12:19 PM.
    Those big females are fat for a reason.- Release them.
    " Bowfishing addict - The Slime is Mine "

Thanks

"By the way, the best management tool for these "rough" fish may be to make them table fare. If people will eat them, their population will stay under control. "

I like the idea, but that is a BOLD statement. Those fish procreate so rapidly its hard for anything to keep their population "under control".

Thanks

Let me re-emphasize:

"By the way, the best management tool for these "rough" fish may be to make them table fare. If people will eat them, their population will stay under control. "

Thanks

For now the best "management tool" for these rough fish is to KILL THEM,...whether you eat 'em or not!

Thanks

I've had common carp from some of the southern channels in New Mexico when I was younger and I was not impressed. It was oily and tasted of mud. I've talked to several different people about bigheads before and it all depends on the person. Some say they are nothing more then fertilizer and others say they are a very nice flaky white meat fish and generally compare it to the very popular talpia which I enjoy eating. I haven't had the opportunity to try them yet, but enjoy trying new things. I think Whisker hit the nail on the head though. The word Carp generates an immediate reaction from so many people that as it stands would probably sink any attempts at getting it commercialized. Maybe we can get it plugged as bighead talapia or something. Could you imgine the boats going down the river with the nets up in the air instead of in the warter? That would be comical.

Thanks

They are trying to market silvers and bigheads as "silverfins" to make them more appealing in the commercial market. The stories I have seen usually talk about the fish being steamed so the bones can be removed easily.
    Shush your mouths, you old poops.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 984 Posts

Hey Whisker, do they do a Carp-O-Rama type event on the MO River for bowhunters? Kinda like Pawnee Lake where the Game and Parks puts it on and they even cook them?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Glens View Post
    Hey Whisker, do they do a Carp-O-Rama type event on the MO River for bowhunters? Kinda like Pawnee Lake where the Game and Parks puts it on and they even cook them?
    That's a good idea, you should drop an email to Larry Pape at NGPC.

By the way, if anyone in Lincoln has any silvers or bighead I'd love to learn how to clean them. I'll bring a six pack
    Last edited by bschiltz; 04-11-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,737 Times in 1,037 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whisker View Post
    Once I started eating bigheads, I started releasing some game fish that might otherwise have ended up in the freezer.
    It takes some practice to get good at filleting them,...(I'm still trying Eric) but it's not so critical if you waste some carp meat when cutting out the Y bone. It's a good way to put meat in the freezer, and people that can't get much fish really appreciate it!
    They really need to commercialize them as table fair, and export them too. The name CARP is a the biggest deterrent to this meat catching on here at home. The oriental people would buy every one we could export. They originated over there, but are now becoming a rare delicacy to the region.
    Common carp were actually brought to the US as a food source many years ago. I myself could never get a taste for them.

Whisker, one of the things that's been talked about with regard to Bigheads, is that they're kind of 'tender' in that they bruise easy...do you do anything special with these fish, or 'could you' to help maintain flesh quality? catch, bleed, ice?

Thanks

The literature says they are filter feeders. . . and normally, you are what you eat.

By the way, if they are filter feeders, how exactly do you catch one? AND NO WISE CRACKS NEEDED ABOUT JUST DRIVING YOUR BOAT DOWN THE RIVER REALLY FAST.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 755 Posts

The most efficient method of catching them is with a gig or an arrow, and I'm not wise cracking. I'll hook one from time to time at Gavins, but I have no idea why.
    "If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach

Thanks

You will catch them on hook and line because they are there in large numbers. Sometimes they get hooked right in the mouth. This is not because they are chasing your lure or bait. They swam into it or you dragged it into them. They are filter feeders which is why their meat is firm, white, and clean...as with a spoonbill. I haven't tried bleeding them. If taken at night, the fish will stay relatively cool, if taken in daytime, a quick skin on fillet and and into a cooler would be best for the meat.
    Duane Chapman with the USGS is the #1 asian carp authority out there,..and a really nice guy too. Do a search on him, his articles, you tube videos and you'll learn a lot. Here's one of his articles that will give you some good input on asian carp, also on preparing and eating these fish.
    http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2004/07/carp-lemonade
    There's a gobzillion you tube videos about asian carp, and also plenty on cutting boneless fillets out of them.
    Lot's of guys hook into these fish while on the river. If so,...keep a ten pounder and give it a try, you'll wish you had more.
    When it comes to a good eating fish - sometimes ugly is better!
    Last edited by whisker; 04-12-2011 at 07:55 AM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whisker For This Useful Post:

Jump n Fish (04-12-2011), shb (04-12-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whisker View Post
    When it comes to a good eating fish - sometimes ugly is better!
    LOL So True...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,490 Times in 623 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Springer owner View Post
    The literature says they are filter feeders. . . and normally, you are what you eat.
    Spoonbill are filter feeders and they are outstanding eating IMO. Only downside to spoonbill is the meat doesn't keep long in the freezer. Eat them within 2-3 months and they're awesome.

If I'm not mistaken, weren't bigheads and silvers originally brought over here to raise in fish farms for food? So they're must be something good about them.