Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Remodel

Thanks

Default Boat Remodel

I'm almost finished with a home project and nows it's time for the boat. I have been putting this off for a couple of years, but if I want to fish I need to do it now. I have a Lund Tyee 5.4, it's early 80's and the floors are shot. I'm going to strip it and put in all new wood and carpet and I want to make some changes, but not sure what to do.
    I would like to have some lockable rod storage that will hold at least 4 rods w/reels.
    The plastic for the livewell is completely broken, so I need to replace it with something. (currently located right in front of the console)
    Seating arrangements, open to any suggestion for type, location, what your boat has that works better than what I currently have.

I'm working with a clean slate here and no idea is too crazy or wild.

All fish in my pics have either been released unharmed or fried to a delicious golden brown.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to steve5966 For This Useful Post:

Scott Eveland (04-05-2011)

Thanks

The newer Lunds have a casting platform in the back that doubles as storage for batteries, and livewell, or what ever. You can never have too much storage on a boat, the more stuff you can get out of the way the more room you will have on the boat. Take pictures of your progress.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.-Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 951 Posts

I agree, the more storage the better!

As far as seating goes, here is what I have used.

These are the way to go...Worth the extra price, solid and easy to remove.

This style isn't bad, but they tend to wobble more than the others. I believe the newer ones you can screw into the base so that should help.

I have this style in my current boat and they are so hard to take out that I have to spray them with WD40 before putting them in (Newer ones are a little easier, but not much).

I've always liked my seats to be in the middle of the boat if possible (most larger boats of course don't come this way). Fishing can be a little harder for people in the middle and back of the boat with the seats close to the sides. This of course also depends on your style of fishing and the number of people you plan to have in the boat.
    A fairy tale starts out "once upon a time", a fisherman's story starts out "this ain't no bull****".
    ~Captain Phil Harris

If I could not hunt, the only thing that would be left I guess would be to die. ~ Phil Robertson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flushmaster View Post
    The newer Lunds have a casting platform in the back that doubles as storage for batteries, and livewell, or what ever. You can never have too much storage on a boat, the more stuff you can get out of the way the more room you will have on the boat. Take pictures of your progress.
    With a platform at the back, with seats built in, would I need a blower to vent the fuel tank area?

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoor_Joe_26 View Post
    I agree, the more storage the better!

As far as seating goes, here is what I have used.

These are the way to go...Worth the extra price, solid and easy to remove.

I've always liked my seats to be in the middle of the boat if possible (most larger boats of course don't come this way). Fishing can be a little harder for people in the middle and back of the boat with the seats close to the sides. This of course also depends on your style of fishing and the number of people you plan to have in the boat.
    I have some like yours and one has never come out. Seat placement is a big deal for me even though i'm usualy fishing by myself.
    All fish in my pics have either been released unharmed or fried to a delicious golden brown.

Thanks

good question on the venting, I don't have a built in tank on my boat. I would look for a vent and then extent it if possible, maybe could get a look at someones boat that has a raised platform.

On the seats, I have one like the top photo that goes to the front casting deck and one on the back that I have to pull the seat off and then unscrew the pole to move it to the rear casting deck. It is alumimum pole and you need to wash your hands with soap every time you move it if you forget to put a glove on because it will get your hand black due to the spraying of lubricant. I like the front one.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.-Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 740 Posts

YAY! So much fun! To make it what you want!!! YAY! Ask Redefining Fate...I know he's going to be doing some boat remodeling also!!
    "Releasing a big fish always puts a smile on my face" Jim Buckley
    The greatest catch of my life, June 1, 2013

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvoldtruks View Post
    YAY! So much fun!!
    That sounded like you volunteering to help. How are your wiring skills?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve5966 View Post
    That sounded like you volunteering to help. How are your wiring skills?
    The Bee's knees! hahahaha Steve and a bunch of numbers, I'll come over and take the pictures for you...LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve5966 View Post
    With a platform at the back, with seats built in, would I need a blower to vent the fuel tank area?

I have some like yours and one has never come out. Seat placement is a big deal for me even though i'm usualy fishing by myself.

Most of the boats I've seen either have the fuel tank area open, or a wicker or metal type hatching to vent the area. If it were my boat I would have the seat floor mounts in the configuration below. Please excuse the crude drawing, I was in a hurry.

I got a little carried away with the floor mounts, but you can see how they are needed if you boat and fish. The hatching represents seats, the open circles are empty floor mounts. Not having the boat specs I put the back seats 3' apart. That's a little tight, but if you have 4 people fishing on a regular basis it will be needed..Just a suggestion. Boat projects are fun!!!
    Last edited by Outdoor_Joe_26; 04-07-2011 at 12:21 PM.
    A fairy tale starts out "once upon a time", a fisherman's story starts out "this ain't no bull****".
    ~Captain Phil Harris

If I could not hunt, the only thing that would be left I guess would be to die. ~ Phil Robertson

Thanks

Most of the boats I've seen either have the fuel tank area open, or a wicker or metal type hatching to vent the area. If it were my boat I would have the seat floor mounts in the configuration below. Please excuse the crude drawing, I was in a hurry.

I got a little carried away with the floor mounts, but you can see how they are needed if you boat and fish. The hatching represents seats, the open circles are empty floor mounts. Not having the boat specs I put the back seats 3' apart. That's a little tight, but if you have 4 people fishing on a regular basis it will be needed..Just a suggestion. Boat projects are fun!!!
    Look at you!!

Thanks

Joe, I think I like that idea. Just a couple more seat mounts and it will be set up for anything I might want to do.

Still thinking about the platform area. In my first pic, the fuel tank would be in the bottom right of the pic. The fuel cap is just below the pic. I would have to vent it some way I think.

Thanks

I was able to spend a few hours saturday and a couple today tearing the boat down. I have most of it out and found a few surprises. All 1/2 inch plywood, was ecpecting 3/4". There is some plastic or fiberglass running up the sides where I expected wood behind the carpet. This may effect where I was going to try to make rod storage.

This whats left of my livewell, any ideas on saving it or replacing it?

Thanks

Looks like you've made some good progress. Some of that expanding foam may help fill in the gaps at the top of the livewell. Otherwise if they have one in your size, a drop in hatch liner may not be a bad idea either.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati...3Bcat104378580
    ~Captain Phil Harris

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoor_Joe_26 For This Useful Post:

steve5966 (04-14-2011)

Thanks

Good Job! Kinda scary to me but....you look like you know what you are doing...Joe didn't tell you about drilling out the holes so the poles fit better....You'll have to ask him what he did but now the poles slide in and out with no problem! Pretty smart...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvoldtruks For This Useful Post:

steve5966 (04-14-2011)

Thanks

great start. its gonna be great once your finished. a great site for boat remodeling is tinboat.net. check it out tons of great info on there

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacob For This Useful Post:

MathMan (06-02-2012), steve5966 (04-14-2011)

Thanks

tinboats.net

Thanks

Looks like you've made some good progress. Some of that expanding foam may help fill in the gaps at the top of the livewell. Otherwise if they have one in your size, a drop in hatch liner may not be a bad idea either.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati...3Bcat104378580
    I have been looking at things like that, but having trouble finding the right size.

tinboats has been one of my go to sites.

I need to order a electrical switch panel, so now I have to figure out how many switches I need on the dash. The bilge, lights and areator are a given, but I do want some lighting in the boat. I'll definately have white lights in case I need to work on something at night. What colored lights should I have for night fishing? I'll use either rope lights or led strips.

Thanks

Wow, almost 14 months since I started this thread. I am either incredibly lazy or really busy. the boat sat all last year and this past weekend I decided that I better get back to work on it. I have most of the flooring coated with fiberglass resin and ready to install. working on all the wood parts now, a lot to cut out, sand, stain and seal. Still not sure about the livewell, but I think I'm going to try to fiberglass it and see what happens. I will post pics when I have a little more free time.

Thanks

That's gonna be nice....I can tell!
    WIFE: "You fish to d*?< much!" ME: Atleast we'll never starve...

Thanks

flooring for the main area sealed and ready to install.

A whole lot of sanding, staining and sealing to get done.