Thread: Hali droppers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 755 Posts

Default Hali droppers

How do you deal with bent/broken hooks on them?
    "If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach

Thanks
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 863 Posts

Catch smaller fish and you won't have that problem.

I haven't had a problem yet with that happening. I've seen some guys tie a stinger hook on them instead of the chain.
    Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,097 Posts

You are pretty much screwed. The chains have no opening - and I dont use them any more. Far too delicate for me - have had big fish break the chain with ease.

You will have to get creative or buy a new one.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 863 Posts

Going home after work tonight and taking a pair of side cutters to the chain and going to tie on a stronger hook.

Some guys have said these lures hold up much better to big fish. http://shuckslures.com/jiggerminnow.html
    Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,097 Posts

Actually on that web site they have replacement chains w/ hooks.

Thanks

Yeah, I see that. I've also got some Schucks. The past three days, all I've caught fish on are Hali jigs. I have some replacement hooks and chains, and will use them, but I think I'm going to try some 15lb Power Pro with a Fas-snap.
    "If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach

Thanks

once the power pro get water in it it freezes... it wont have the same flexibility and movement as the chain even when its submerged.
    Shush your mouths, you old poops.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by epb35085 View Post
    once the power pro get water in it it freezes... it wont have the same flexibility and movement as the chain even when its submerged.
    Huh, why would that be? The line is hydrophillic, with the surfaec being fused it can't absorb water. That's why it floats.

Thanks

I had the same thing happen with FireLine. The water beaded up once I started jigging it off the bottom, and it froze up; a little difficult to wind it on and off the spool after that.
    You're only allowed three great women in your lifetime. They come along like the great fighters, every ten years. Rocky Marciano. Sugar Ray Robinson. Joe Louis. Sometimes you get 'em all at once. Me? I had my three when I was 16. That happens. What are you gonna do?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bassh8er View Post
    I had the same thing happen with FireLine. The water beaded up once I started jigging it off the bottom, and it froze up; a little difficult to wind it on and off the spool after that.
    I've noticed that with fireline, but it's just on the exterior. I'm using the 2lb on one rod and 1lb on another. I've had no problems thus far, really. Every so often I'll get a spot on the spool that I just pop a piece of ice off of, but other than that, it's a non-issue.