Thread: Hunter orange requirements

Thanks

Default Hunter orange requirements

Has anyone figured this out or spoken to the GNP? If I have a rifle permit and choose to use my bow during that season do I have to wear hunter orange? If not, at a minimum I will wear in going in and out from my stand.
    From the big game guide:
    Hunter orange
    State law requires hunters to wear and visibly display at least 400 square inches of hunter orange on their head, back and chest at all times when hunting big game with a firearm or muzzleloader during firearm or muzzleloader seasons. Camouflage hunter orange patterns are legal. Archers are exempt from this requirement during muzzleloader seasons. Hunter orange is not required of archers during the October Antlerless deer season.

Thanks

From what I'm reading, there is a season timeline on pg 18 showing archery season being closed during firearm deer. Bows are allowed as a legal weapon during firearm season, so I'm seeing that all requirements of hunter orange would apply. I may have misinterpeted, but I'd go so far as to say an unfilled archery permit would NOT be legal to hunt under during firearm season.
    Cleaning Trash Fish FromThe Pit, One State Record At A Time

Thanks

Trust me... with all the idiots winging bullets around you wouldn't catch me without orange on during rifle season! For this reason alone Im not taking my daughter turkey hunting this weekend!

Last yearm, in my stand I counted 52 shots before noon on opening morning!
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wirenut View Post
    From what I'm reading, there is a season timeline on pg 18 showing archery season being closed during firearm deer. Bows are allowed as a legal weapon during firearm season, so I'm seeing that all requirements of hunter orange would apply. I may have misinterpeted, but I'd go so far as to say an unfilled archery permit would NOT be legal to hunt under during firearm season.
    No you can't use an unfilled archery tag during rifle season. If you r going to bowhunt rifle season you must have a rifle permit.

I'm not sure about the hunter orange ruling while bowhunting with a rifle permit, but i'm guessing that you have to wear it.
    Is it duck season yet?

"Look, a pair of singles!"

Thanks

Yeah, must wear the hunter orange when filling a rifle tag w/ a bow. Turkey hunters must also wear it during the nine day rifle season.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 497 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ADV1 View Post
    Trust me... with all the idiots winging bullets around you wouldn't catch me without orange on during rifle season! For this reason alone Im not taking my daughter turkey hunting this weekend!

Last yearm, in my stand I counted 52 shots before noon on opening morning!
    There can't be to many idiot hunters out during rifle season. On average Nebraska see's 12 related hunting accidents annually with the most common being from bird hunters

"…. the most common cause of a hunting incident in Nebraska is hunters firing at birds without knowing what is beyond their targets, so hunting companions are struck…...

….Commission records say the state injury rate per 1,000 hunters runs under a hundredth of a percent. The commission says Nebraska has about 170,000 hunters each year, and the state has averaged about 12 incidents a year over the past decade…"

I know one EMT this year that responded to a hunting accident were a youth shot himself in the foot while bird hunting. I also read an article were nationwide the most common hunting accident are falls from tree stands.

However, I as well share the same concerns of being out during the 9 days were there are more high power weapons out and about then many small countries army's have. When I do decide to hunt in rifle season I like to stick to the tree stands for an extra margin of safety.

However with tree stands being the most common cause of huntign accidents maybe that is not the smartest idea either?

Thanks

Plain and Simple. Even if not required, which it should be. You are a **** fool not to wear it. You just might become a statistic.

Swifty

Thanks

Tree stand injuries are probably the most common because hunters are trying to get off the ground even if not as comfortable doing so. I know I have never hunted from a tree stand before (though I have a climber), but with so many rifle barrels around I might would be willing to give it a try. I just hate that I'd have to pretty much mame a tree cutting off a bunch of limbs and branches in order to climb it with my stand. Not like Florida and Alaska with a lot of evergreens that don't have any branches for the first 15-20ft.