Thread: Freezer life of venison?

Thanks

Default Freezer life of venison?

I came across some venison summer sausage in my deep freeze, and as of Jan. 2011 it will be two years old. Is this stuff still good? Just curious if anyone knows the freezer life of venison. I'm sure it varies from fresh cuts to processed and cured. Hate to waste this stuff, but if it's no good at this point it's just taking up space. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 771 Posts

If it's not freezer burned it should still be good. How long venison last in the freezer will depend on well it was wrapped and protected. Only one way to find out, thaw it out and try it.
    Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the circus.....

Thanks

Yeah, the vacuum seal is good on most of the stuff, but a couple of the seals have broken and the contents are a little on the frosty side. I've got some thawing in the frige right now. We'll see. Maybe I'll let the kids try it out first.

Thanks

We found some in the freezer that was 1 1/2 years (vacuum sealed). Thawed it out and it was nasty. But it was aslo mixed with pepper cheese so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

I found this on the web. It shows Venison freezer life.
    http://www.freshpreserving.com/fileb...uide_final.pdf

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DingerFlinger For This Useful Post:

BigBo (10-14-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 740 Posts

Well we've been eating deerburger and steaks all year...and that first one taste just like the one we had last night...vaccum sealed and frozen...in the deep freezer. The first one will be a year old tomorrow...I think the last report was that we only had like 6lbs of burger left and that was it! I'm sure it will get eatin'. Wow we went through two deer all year...I hope he gets a deer tomorrow! LOL curious to how it is...
    "Releasing a big fish always puts a smile on my face" Jim Buckley
    The greatest catch of my life, June 1, 2013

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 951 Posts

Vac packed it should last a year. My dad gave me some sausage from a deer he shot last year. It sat in the freezer until a few weeks ago, and it tasted fine to me.
    A fairy tale starts out "once upon a time", a fisherman's story starts out "this ain't no bull****".
    ~Captain Phil Harris

If I could not hunt, the only thing that would be left I guess would be to die. ~ Phil Robertson

Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 771 Posts

We found a small package of backstrap meat from December of 08 a three weeks ago that had somehow gotten lost in the bottom of our freezer, we fried it up and made fajitas and it was absolutley delicious. We process our own, this was drugstore wrappped in freezer paper and then stored in a zip lock freezer bag.
    Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the circus.....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorty For This Useful Post:

Luvoldtruks (10-15-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,225 Times in 3,380 Posts

Default Thread theft - thread theft!

Well, kinda...

With apologies to BigBo...

There used to be laws limiting the "storage" of fish and game by time. The new law requires the permit # (and I assume, date) to be on all packaging of your fish/game.

For those of us that have "secondary" freezers, it's not much of a surprise to find some "outdated" items! Of course, now "outdated" would mean freezer burn, etc!

For me, in the past, freezer burn meant jerky for game. Trim off the worst, grind and mix and enjoy! For fish, well I won't admit to EVER tossing any out, but other than "rainbow smelt", I release most fish if I'm not planning on eating them in the "near future"!

I appreciate our NGPC in updating this law especially with the emphasis of "thinning out the herd" when it comes to deer. Air tight butcher wrapping and of course vacuum sealing will extend the "life" of this future meal.

Two year old deer meat is still edible if you add enough seasoning!

I've found that "waterfowl jerky" isn't as appealing, if recent or "old"!

Fish jerky sucks. Even my dog wouldn't eat it!

Harold F.
    "If I had a picture, I wouldn't have given you 1,000 words..." OBG

"Perhaps a better way of measuring wealth is by
    the number of unique experiences you have had..." Esther Dyson

These are OUR FISHERIES! Report All Violations!
    ...........................1-800-742-SNAP

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harold For This Useful Post:

BigBo (10-15-2010), Shorty (10-15-2010)

Thanks

I know some will disagree with doing this, but whatever. I had quite a bit of deer sausage made up a couple years ago at a place I won't mention on here, but it just wasn't that great. I ate some, gave some away, and then ate some more. Just couldn't get rid of all it and it hung around my freezer until just here over the last couple of months. I probably had 20lbs of it. We've been having a visitor to our house and neighborhood in the form of a huge bloodhound. He is really cool and very well mannered dog. He belongs to neighbor about a mile from us who just let's him roam all the time. We live in the country so he's really not bothering anyone. Well needless to say, he really likes coming my house now. I'll take a 1lb roll and cut it up, and he makes quick work out it. He doesn't mind that it's 2yrs old either.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WaterPig For This Useful Post:

Luvoldtruks (10-15-2010)

Thanks

Air is what kills frozen meats. We process all our own and make sure it is first wrapped in Saran type wrap and then butcher paper. Year old stuff is as good as the day we packaged it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 951 Posts

Sidebar question...

When did that law change that said you could only have wild game x-number of days after the season closed??
    A fairy tale starts out "once upon a time", a fisherman's story starts out "this ain't no bull****".
    ~Captain Phil Harris

If I could not hunt, the only thing that would be left I guess would be to die. ~ Phil Robertson