Thread: Selling a Deer rifle???

Thanks

Default Selling a Deer rifle???

I have a Remington 700 SPS 30-6, that I'm thinking about unloading. Do I have to get any papers or anything to sale to a private buyer? Thanks in advance.
    Keep on , Fishin on!!!!

Thanks

I swear, I was posting this at the same time a the post, asking the difference between ADL and SPS> crazy.
    Keep on , Fishin on!!!!

Thanks

I have them fill out one of the Forms the Gun shop has you fill out. That way if Law Enforcement stops by you have information to give them. And I also make a copy of the Check to include with that paper. I keep them in a folder but I have not ever submitted them or had a problem. I don't think it is required for a private sale. Just make sure they are not a Felon, seem Crazy or tell you about plans that are not legal and I think you will be ok. If you are still unsure call a Local Police department or the Patrol.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Leupold For This Useful Post:

BASS-YAKR (09-17-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Leupold View Post
    I have them fill out one of the Forms the Gun shop has you fill out. That way if Law Enforcement stops by you have information to give them. And I also make a copy of the Check to include with that paper. I keep them in a folder but I have not ever submitted them or had a problem. I don't think it is required for a private sale. Just make sure they are not a Felon, seem Crazy or tell you about plans that are not legal and I think you will be ok. If you are still unsure call a Local Police department or the Patrol.
    Whatever you wanna do. It is perfectly LEGAL to sell a long gun to another private individual with absolutely no paperwork involved. He hands you the money and you hand him the gun and you are done. Handguns are a little different story, but for a rifle, face to face with no "paperwork" is legal.

Furthermore you can have him fill out a "form", but with out you calling the FBI to check him out it does absolutely no good. Even if he was to commit a crime with that gun it is completely untraceable back to you, therefore would be no "cop at your door" What most people don't realize is when you fill out the form to buy a gun, they are called in for a background check and kept by the dealer. The ATF never recieves them and no database is created to "register" your gun. Therefore, no guns are ever "registered" and no gun you purchase is traceable back to you. UNLESS, the state/county/city has registering requirements, such as the case with Douglas county.
    Last edited by elkstalkr; 09-17-2010 at 10:16 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elkstalkr For This Useful Post:

BASS-YAKR (09-17-2010), Fishloveme (09-17-2010), Shorty (09-17-2010)

Thanks

Thank you guys for the info. I appriciate you guys taing the time. I'll be posting this on the market place the next few days if anyones interested.
    Keep on , Fishin on!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elkstalkr View Post
    Whatever you wanna do. It is perfectly LEGAL to sell a long gun to another private individual with absolutely no paperwork involved. He hands you the money and you hand him the gun and you are done. Handguns are a little different story, but for a rifle, face to face with no "paperwork" is legal.

Furthermore you can have him fill out a "form", but with out you calling the FBI to check him out it does absolutely no good. Even if he was to commit a crime with that gun it is completely untraceable back to you, therefore would be no "cop at your door" What most people don't realize is when you fill out the form to buy a gun, they are called in for a background check and kept by the dealer. The ATF never recieves them and no database is created to "register" your gun. Therefore, no guns are ever "registered" and no gun you purchase is traceable back to you. UNLESS, the state/county/city has registering requirements, such as the case with Douglas county.
    For of my Curiosity how do you know all those facts? Have you ever went down to the court house and checked to see what guns they have listed in your ownership? I have and have a lengthy list. With all the Never's in you above post I would think there is some possible areas that personal information is logged with an agency such as handguns for example.

Below is what the law says since you are being very specific.

The following regulations were established by the Gun Control Act of 1968.
    People engaged in selling firearms as a business must have a federal firearms license (FFL). Individuals and collectors are allowed to sell and trade their firearms without this license, but it is illegal to earn a living selling firearms without it. When purchasing a firearm from an FFL, a Form 4473 (also known as the "Yellow Form") and Form 77 must be filled out. The dealer must also record the sale in his bound-book (similar to a transaction log). (Form 77 was not established by this law, but is an effort by licensed firearms dealers to promote safety and lessen dealer liability.)
    The Form 4473 contains the name, address, driver license information, NICS background check transaction number, serial number and model of the firearm, and a short federal affidavit stating that the purchaser is eligible to purchase firearms under federal law. Lying on this form is a felony and can be punished by up to five years in prison in addition to fines, even if the transaction is denied by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).
    The Form 77 is a short form indicating that the purchaser of the weapon is knowledgeable about the function of the weapon and basic safety rules. The purchaser must also attest that the dealer has explained these rules such that the customer understood them.
    The dealer must keep the Form 4473 for twenty years and is subject to inspection by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (BATF or just ATF). The dealer also records all information from the form 4473 into his bound-book. A dealer must keep this log the entire time he is in business and is required to surrender the log to the ATF upon retirement from the firearms business.

Thanks

Don't know about you guys. But when I sell a gun, if the buyer doesn't have a gun purchase permit from the sheriff there's no sale. Then the sheriff has done the background check. I make a copy of it along with contact linfo
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
    Henry David Thoreau

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MURF For This Useful Post:

MrGadget (09-27-2010)

Thanks

WOW!!!

Here is what is actually needed to be legal for transferring a long gun privately. The following is what the BATF says is legal and needed.......

For an instate person to person long gun deal= there is no LEGAL need to do anything but get the money and hand the gun over.
    If you are selling to a person in another state the deal has to go through an FFL license holder; even if done face to face.

If a person WANTS to do anything extra that is up to them BUT it is in no way shape or form needed to be legal!!!

Thanks

Leupold,

It is against the law for the feds to create any data base for "general public gun registration". THE FEDS BY LAW CANNOT KEEP THAT INFORMATION IN A DATA BASE PERIOD!!!

Now, the state might have some form of list, but I assume that would be only with handguns. I am not aware of NE keeping track of any long guns or requiring permits or anything of the such to purchse long guns. Furthermore, I know of no state law enforcement that is tasked with regulating long gun sales. I believe NE lets the ATF "handle" all of that. Is thier an agency in NE that "regulates" long guns (like the sheriff's departments do with handguns)? Certainly Douglas County has a list of handguns as you are required to register handguns in Douglas county. Also, I believe Lancaster has some sort of gun purchase record you must fill out also with a handgun.

Thanks

Here is a little reading to pass the time....

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=60

Thanks

Wow. How much will you be asking 9 down 1 to go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MURF View Post
    Don't know about you guys. But when I sell a gun, if the buyer doesn't have a gun purchase permit from the sheriff there's no sale. Then the sheriff has done the background check. I make a copy of it along with contact linfo
    Gadget