Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Papio Creek

Thanks

Default Papio Creek

So I've always had this silly little goal of catching a fish out of the papio creek, but never even tried.

About a month back my brother was running the keystone trail and saw a few gar and carp swimming by which piqued our interest, so alas we gave it a shot last night.

We parked at the hillside baseball fields and walked north until we found a "relatively accessible" bit of grass we could navigate down.

Armed with a bobber and crawlers we designated our locations and got to work about 8:15 p.m. 10 minutes after we started I had a bite and missed it, which of course got our minds guessing. 5 minutes later I had another bit and FISH ON! It wasn't big, I couldn't see it well as I brought it up through the weeds, but what was it? Bullhead, catfish, gar, creek chub? Nope, it was a 5 inch fat bellied largemouth bass!

Now, I don't see urban creek fishing becoming a regular occurence, but the curiosity of "I wonder what may be there", at least for last night, was answered!

Tight lines everyone!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kcisar For This Useful Post:

Luvoldtruks (05-11-2011), MA Machine (05-13-2011), Outdoor_Joe_26 (05-15-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,053 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've never caught anything of size out of there, but have caught bullhead, small channel cats, and crappie.

Way to go and satisfy your curiosity!
    Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Gone, but never forgotten!

Thanks

I grew up in Ralston

Thanks

Let me try that again!
    I grew up in Ralston and use to fish the Papio a lot, we caught Channel cats, Gar, Mooneye, Bullheads, and Bluegill. There is an area just north of Q st where there are two channels that come together creating a big hole. We used to float nightcrawlers through there on a bobber and catch a lot of fish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rangerman For This Useful Post:

kcisar (07-06-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 888 Posts

carp, bluegill, flatheads, channels, bass, chubs/suckers, green sunfish, yellow bass, drum, gar, and once in a great while... crappie. Remember,that every time we get heavy/alot of rain and the overflows are running at area damsites....fish are going thru too and end up in the creeks(Papio mainly). Heck,it wouldn't surprise me if the Papio becomes the #1 trout creek in Nebraska with all the rainbow stockings around here.

Alex
    waitin' for whitey

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex T. For This Useful Post:

kcisar (07-06-2010)

Thanks

Thanks for the information guys, I've found a couple "reachable spots" that when I have a week when I can't make a trip to a lake, a 20 minute curious creek trip will definitely satisfy the itch. A long time ago, I was out in west of Imperial, and we'd pull 10-12 inch creek chubs out of there, great fun!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

There is also raw sewage in the papio, especially at high water.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 888 Posts

There is also raw sewage in the papio,.....
    Like I said....#1 trout(I just never figured out how brown trout get in the western creeks ) creek in Nebraska.

Alex
    waitin' for whitey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    There is also raw sewage in the papio, especially at high water.
    While you are correct, I would have to say that most of the time it is minimal, being that it is illegal to dump raw sewage into the papio. As far as I know, you would mostly only get run off from livestock. Other than people illegally dumping waste into a curb inlet.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Lots of fertilizer and such as well.

There are two City of Omaha water treatment plants that release CLEAN, treated water into the Papio. Both of which my dad was a mechanic at. The only time he said raw, untreated water has ever been released was during the floods of 93.

Make all the "brown trout" jokes about the Papio, and Salt creek, but those terds ain't coming from the water treatment plants.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holdemplyer View Post
    ... those terds ain't coming from the water treatment plants.

Sorry guys.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kcisar View Post
    So I've always had this silly little goal of catching a fish out of the papio creek, but never even tried.

About a month back my brother was running the keystone trail and saw a few gar and carp swimming by which piqued our interest, so alas we gave it a shot last night.

We parked at the hillside baseball fields and walked north until we found a "relatively accessible" bit of grass we could navigate down.

Armed with a bobber and crawlers we designated our locations and got to work about 8:15 p.m. 10 minutes after we started I had a bite and missed it, which of course got our minds guessing. 5 minutes later I had another bit and FISH ON! It wasn't big, I couldn't see it well as I brought it up through the weeds, but what was it? Bullhead, catfish, gar, creek chub? Nope, it was a 5 inch fat bellied largemouth bass!

Now, I don't see urban creek fishing becoming a regular occurence, but the curiosity of "I wonder what may be there", at least for last night, was answered!

Tight lines everyone!

That little bass is now 9" Also saw a small snapping turtle and plenty of mallards. Was looking for creek chubs but no luck

Thanks

I spend a lot of time at the Hillside ball park, mostly at the field closest to the trail. When my little boy gets bored watching sis play softball we go down to the creek a lot. I've seen a few catfish swimming around and some other fish I couldn't identify. I bike the trail occasionally and I've seen some decent size bass swimming near the Dodge street bridge. The water is usually pretty clear. I wouldn't eat anything out of there but I've always enjoyed creek fishing

When things settle down from all the rain we just had, I may have to take a pole with me to the next softball game and see if my boy and I can catch something

Thanks

I live right by halleck park and there at 84th street there is a small drop fall with a decent depth hole under it. While running the creek trail I've seen a couple decent fish bust the surface there, but never fished it. One day I will, but probably no time soon. Too busy relearning to catfish.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jasper For This Useful Post:

Jacob (05-12-2011)

Thanks

i live in papillion too jasper. maybe ill try to give that spot a try soon. quick dumb question tho.. what does all the rain and flood do to the fish in that creek? do they get washed down stream?

Thanks

Glad to hear you caught something. I have read about others trying to do the same but with out much luck.

http://myleakywaders.blogspot.com/20...ion-creek.html

.`.`..`.><(((>

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    I live right by halleck park and there at 84th street there is a small drop fall with a decent depth hole under it. While running the creek trail I've seen a couple decent fish bust the surface there, but never fished it. One day I will, but probably no time soon. Too busy relearning to catfish.
    I've fished there, small channels and crappie. Drift a piece of night crawler through the deep pool, and downstream, you'll catch fish.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holdemplyer View Post
    Make all the "brown trout" jokes about the Papio, and Salt creek, but those terds ain't coming from the water treatment plants.
    I thought Hairrolled was playing bucket biologist and releasing his gas station bathroom catch into the papio...
    Shush your mouths, you old poops.

Thanks

I've fished in the Papio Creek a lot when I was in high school, I would always fish near where it emptied into the Missouri River. I have caught many carp, sturgeon, catfish, and gar out of that creek.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    i live in papillion too jasper. maybe ill try to give that spot a try soon. quick dumb question tho.. what does all the rain and flood do to the fish in that creek? do they get washed down stream?
    Some will head downstream with the water, but usually the fish will hold up in breakwaters where the current is slack and just ride it out.