Thread: Missouri River Shoreline (Night) Fishing Access Near Omaha

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Missouri River Shoreline (Night) Fishing Access Near Omaha

Greeting fellow catfishermen:

I had good success catching Channel cats from the shoreline (at night/early morning) on the Missouri River off of the Omaha Trail which is on MUD's property on J.J. Pershing Dr. last summer and fall (2006). I'm now in distress because this year MUD has "No Fishing" signs posted all over the Omaha Trail that is actually on MUD's property. I'm currently on a quest to find decent river shoreline fishing access where I can fish at night without getting hassled. Does anyone out there know of any such location, between Omaha and Blair NE? I know asking for this information is like asking someone to turn over their treasure map, but I have to ask anyway! Any information, hints, or clues would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck to all of you mad catters!

Tonelarone
    Last edited by Tonelarone; 04-15-2007 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks

If you're gonna fish off the trail, be kind to that fence out there...I built it.
    Oh man! I just shot Marvin in the face!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

i know some good spots down here in neb.city wrong way from blair and omaha but if you wanted to try it any where you can go here

Thanks

The Iowa side of the Blair bridge. I have been and have seen many others there all nite long. There is 2 or 3 wing dikes on the south side that are accessible and if the rivers down, lots of shore access.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm there! Thanks Chopper, your tha man!

Thanks

This has been a HUGE gripe of mine for many years!

Omaha is borded on it's east side by the Missouri River and the ONLY access is Dodge Park & Bellevue!!!

That is HORRIBLE!!

Omaha has missed quite and opportunity for tourism. I know that fishermen don't spend millions on hotels & such, but the money spent on equipment, gas, food, (snacks), bait, etc... DOES bring in tax dollars.

What about the kids?

Kids that are into fishing, aren't as likely to get into trouble. Adults that are into fishing aren't as likely to get into trouble. If there were river access, it would take some of the pressure off our local lakes.

There was some access just north of Eppley Airfield, but the idiots dumping trash and tearing up the Leve, ruined that - they had to fence it off. There used to be some access down by the Anchor Inn, but that got fenced off, maybe for the same reason.

I guess the good side of it is that for those of us that have a boat, have more places to fish, but it really sucks for those that don't.

I know some people walk to the river from the east side of Dodge Park, through the woods - I think it is East any way.

I don't know what the answer is, but it sucks the way it is.

craigr

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks Flathead Hunter! Do you have any info. concerning river fishing access in Nebraska City, such as what roads, landmarks, bridges, buildings or businesses are nearby. I don't mind making that drive for some good fishing. Desperate times calls for desperate measures!

Thanks

I have some hotspots but I don't want them ruined like those so tight lips.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Foot access to the Missouri is atrocious. It's better on the Iowa side. I've invested a good bit of time searching from south of Plattesmouth to north of Blair. Most of it is private or fenced. When you do find access it's typically a good little hike and then no good water. The ratio of chiggers to fish is approximately 100 to 1... give or take.

After all my effort, I have 2 spots that I'll fish this year. Both are a drive. When I get there, one is only quasi legal, and the other requires an additional 5-minute bike ride with all my gear.

I have hiked through the woods at Dodge Park to the dikes and caught small flatheads and decent channels. It's about a 10-minute walk. You'll pass a lot of drunks in the dark.

There's so much water and very, very little of it is any good. Good flood control makes for poor fishing. You may catch a break here and there. Or you may get permission on good water (like Storm has), but, honestly, you need a boat. And something with some HP to speed through all that thoroughly uninteresting water and find something worth fishing.

Thanks

The head end of Boyer Chute. Wilson Island has some great wing dikes on the Iowa side. You might be able to get access at Cotton Wood Marina also. A place I've had my eye on is in Bellevue just north of Hayworth Park (sewage treatment Plant). Go north all the way to the end of the gravel road. They have created a nature area with a walking trail. The trail zig zags throught the woods next to the river, and there are several good wing dikes there. Let me know if anyone fishes that as I would be interested in a report. If you have a boat, the problem is much easier to solve.

Good luck.

Thanks

craigr i know exactly were you are talking about north of eppley there used to be dirt bike tracks there. we caught alot of flatheads off of that rock bank. then there was that inlet that had a high retaining wall we also shot tons of carp out of there.
    cinman:Fishing:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFanatic View Post
    craigr i know exactly were you are talking about north of eppley there used to be dirt bike tracks there. we caught alot of flatheads off of that rock bank. then there was that inlet that had a high retaining wall we also shot tons of carp out of there.
    I used to fish there pretty regular for many years. We may have run into each other at one time or another. I got to know a few of the regulars that fished there.

It's a shame that that access is gone, but I sort of understand why they closed it off. People seemed to be dumping trash back there pretty regular, then 'a few' of the off roaders, started tearing up the levy, and soon after that the fences went up.

As usual, it only takes a few to ruin it for everyone.

craigr