Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The numbers just don't jive

At home, in the field, in a blind, in a boat, at our cabin, on a plane, or in a hotel room
    Thanks

Default The numbers just don't jive

Top of page 4 in particular. 26% is WAY TOO HIGH to be considered realistic.

http://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_...10/der1005.pdf

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerDog View Post

You dont think 1 out of 4 farmers would let you come in and shoot a doe at least?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ty S View Post
    You dont think 1 out of 4 farmers would let you come in and shoot a doe at least?
    i guarantee you 1 in 4 farmers will not let a total stranger who knocks on their door have permission to kill a deer, doe or buck. maybe out west but in eastern nebraska Id say if you bring a really hot girlfriend youre still probably talking at best 1 in 20 odds....maybe, if your lucky.

Thanks

Someone on another forum made a good point. Maybe they should have broken that down more to what type of hunting. Bow vs muzzloader vs rifle. Its hard for me to believe rifle would be that high.
    Last edited by tjm; 05-11-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks

What is interesting to me is the Game and Parks contact & satification ratings. I'd like to see that rating compared to similar divisions in other states that have deer problems.
    Last edited by Mr. Boston; 05-11-2010 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks

I think that is very realistic! At least out here. Sure I have spurts where all I get is no's but then I reel off 10 yes's in a row. I think 26% is realistic at least out here!

Chris
    "Never pass up a bathroom, never waste a good time and never trust a fart."

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Someone on another forum made a good point. Maybe they should have broken that down more to what type of hunting. Bow vs muzzloader vs rifle. Its hard for me to believe rifle would be that high.

Well true. I guess thats what was on my mind. At least up my way im sure that 1 in 4 would allow me to do at least some type of deer hunting during some season of the year. Even if it would be a day.

Thanks

if im reading this right it says that people in the southeastern part of the stay say they have mule deer also? that cant be right but maybe im reading it wrong

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 478 Posts

Sounds about right to me

More then 1/2 report moderate to heavy crop damage. Almost 40% find that unacceptable. Most have never contacted the game and parks about the problem and the very few that did were overwhelmingly unsatisfied with the outcome.

Most ( 88%) will allow family and friends to hunt only . Almost 75% will not let anybody else hunt. However family and friends are not getting it done with around 50% unsatisfied with the results of family and friends. In addition 73% continue to feel there are to many deer. Odd number correlation here. About 75% will not let anybody but a family or friend hunt. Almost 75% feel to many deer exist…..Wonder who's fault that is ??........ Hmmmmmmm how to solve that ?????

Only around 27% of the landowners hunt. The biggest and about only surprise to me.

Basically echoes what I already knew. Unless your in tight with somebody your screwed. Those that are in tight are not reducing the populations to landowners satisfaction. Nobody really tries to do anything about it and the few that do probably did not like the fact that they could not "kill them all" .....until of course this year

At home, in the field, in a blind, in a boat, at our cabin, on a plane, or in a hotel room
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by centerx View Post
    Sounds about right to me

More then 1/2 report moderate to heavy crop damage. Almost 40% find that unacceptable. Most have never contacted the game and parks about the problem and the very few that did were overwhelmingly unsatisfied with the outcome.

Most ( 88%) will allow family and friends to hunt only . Almost 75% will not let anybody else hunt. However family and friends are not getting it done with around 50% unsatisfied with the results of family and friends. In addition 73% continue to feel there are to many deer. Odd number correlation here. About 75% will not let anybody but a family or friend hunt. Almost 75% feel to many deer existů..Wonder who's fault that is ??........ Hmmmmmmm how to solve that ?????

Only around 27% of the landowners hunt. The biggest and about only surprise to me.

Basically echoes what I already knew. Unless your in tight with somebody your screwed. Those that are in tight are not reducing the populations to landowners satisfaction. Nobody really tries to do anything about it and the few that do probably did not like the fact that they could not "kill them all" .....until of course this year

Based on the posts of people not getting access and in speaking with others, 26% is WAY TOO HIGH. 6% I can buy. 26% - no way.

But you are right. Unless you know somebody you are hosed. With that said so should those that say no. Until they stop turning hunters down the NGPC shouldn't give or sell them any depridation permits and they need to send that message loud and clear.

Thanks

I agree with you DD **. That number can't be accurate for southeast NE.
    Asking farmers (who are presented with an option to "depredate" deer however they wish) how much damage deer cause and the extent of their "attempts" to curb the damage is like asking a big company CEO (who is presented with an option for bailout) how hard they have tried to make their business succeed. The picture is painted in their favor.

**Harps ring and angels rejoice
    "Imagine how weird phones would look if your mouth was nowhere near your ears," Steven Wright

Thanks

Based on the posts of people not getting access and in speaking with others, 26% is WAY TOO HIGH. 6% I can buy. 26% - no way.

But you are right. Unless you know somebody you are hosed. With that said so should those that say no. Until they stop turning hunters down the NGPC shouldn't give or sell them any depridation permits and they need to send that message loud and clear.

Statistics are a funny thing. I can assure you the closer you are to metropolitan areas the lower that 26% number APPEARS to go. However many of those surveys were sent to many much less densley populated area's . It would not suprise me if were many of those surveys were completed that the number was indeed around 25%.All most hunters seeking permision know is that we can't hunt frequently becasue other people already hunt it . I don't know who or how the landowner considers a "friend" or who a landowner does not. What we do know now for sure is that 75% of all landowners won't give a "stranger" the right to hunt. If you don't know somebody your SOL

However if I'm correct , and I do beleive I am , that means much of the population base does not have acess to hunting in a meaningful manner.Larger conentration of hunters are meet with much less opportunities.Lower concentration of hunters see increased opportunities.

It also tells me that with this new depradation process the landowners are not going to be doing the depradation. It will come down to friends and family that already have permission to hunt but could not ( or would not ) make a meanignful impact to begin with. You have landowners complaning about crop losses but MOST of them did not pick up a weapon to help solve the problem? The same people that hunted before will hunt now. Except doe's are free or discounted for many seasons!

It is what it is .... and it is what I have known all along. To many hunters , not enough opportunities with an end result of an over population of deer from poor land stewardship. Bringing in MORE hunters is a waste of time. Children only have a chance if they are born into a family with privledge.
    Last edited by centerx; 05-11-2010 at 10:49 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to centerx For This Useful Post:

uglymike (05-12-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flatcoats View Post
    i guarantee you 1 in 4 farmers will not let a total stranger who knocks on their door have permission to kill a deer, doe or buck. maybe out west but in eastern nebraska Id say if you bring a really hot girlfriend youre still probably talking at best 1 in 20 odds....maybe, if your lucky.
    In my personal experience, it's WAAAAY less than 1 out of 4. You'll have to go further west from Cozad............

Thanks

When the State use to only have Doe Only Late Seasons on the Platte River and Missouri River Systems (with the odd year Republican Area) would allow Doe Only Late Season Hunts, my family and I would take advantage of the hunts annually. In these areas (January-Doe Only) almost everyone you found home would let you hunt. Now for regular rifle season it was a totally different story....I have personally nocked on every door from Cozad to Ogallala two weeks before the season that was in the bottoms with not one person on the south side of River saying yes, only one said yes on the North side (right next to North Platte). I think this had more to do with the Waterfowl Leases than I believed at the time. In the Sandhills, during the second weekend when hunting with Kids, I have always had excellent results--we are deer hunters, not horn hunters--everyone has always let us hunt. In the Eastern half of the State and in the North Eastern Portion of the State, I have had terrible results during regular rifle season--that is why we do not hunt East of Highway 11 anymore........

I think, given enough time you can always find someone to let you hunt for regular rifle....but, you better get out there now. In the Fall is too Late. With all the extra emphasis on "Killing Derr" next Fall, I believe our Farm and Ranch Community will be predisposssed to just say "No." By the way (not to hijack the thread), we are "over-hunting our Deer Herd" Everything is spooked from the 15th of September to the 15th of January.........even then the Coyote Hunters keep things stirred up. Ask yourself, when was the last time on the property you hunt, you saw a deer that saw you and just stood there instead of running into the next county ?

Hopefully, with the failure of all the 'special deer seasons' next year, the Game & Parks who are out there everyday will get back into the game of managing our deer herd. The Legislature--will be out !

Yutan or Omaha or Elkhorn or Valley or Gretna or Waterloo or Bennington
    Thanks

In my area, you will get turned down 100% of the time. Bring your kid, bowhunt only, does only, it does not matter. As many have said, you do need to be from the area at the very least. It is what it is. Until I retire, I can not move to a more rural area, and don't think my wife would go for it anyway. If I have to drive 50-100 miles to hunt, I won't hunt. So I will see you at the area public spots until I finally quit hunting.
    Everybody has something to hide, except for me and my monkey.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    If I have to drive 50-100 miles to hunt, I won't hunt.
    I love people that have this mindset!
    Eyes to the skies.......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    In my defense, I am a bowhunter only, and like to hunt 3-4 days a week, maybe more, and gas alone would kill me.

Thanks

A hundred miles is around a 1.5 hour drive. Since when did hoping to to drive a hour 1/2 to remove a few does from a landowners property that claims to have problems become a bad thing?

And when did the attitudes of landowners change that they won't even consider it?

Another interesting fact from the survey is "ALL THE BAD HUNTERS" leaving the proverbial gates open…. Let's look at that "FACTS" shall we???

60% report no problems. 40% report some problems. They way I look at it is the majority of the hunters are friends and family and 40% of them are causing the landowners "some" problems. Looks to me that when a landowner wont let a stranger on because there is a 50/50 chance of problems? That is only slightly off from the problems they already have from existing family and friends hunting the property?

So I guess I'll put up with crap from friends and family but I sure won't take the chance of putting up with it from a total stranger is the opinion of many? Friends and family don't harvest enough deer and 40% of them cause me problems.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I agree. Its not like I hunt right out my back door. I drive 1.5 hours to get to my spot. Leave at 3am so many times I cant even count. Even earlier if im waterfowling. Gas is expensive but so is hunting in general. $30 for the permit is the cheap part. All a part of hunting especially if you want to hunt for big bucks.

Thanks

You guys kill me! If I am not willing to drive, It somehow makes me less of a hunter than you? Let's do some math, depending on the mileage you get and how far you go, one can spend $2000-$4000 in fuel alone in a typical bow season. I would rather put that money into a lease close to home and sleep in, go home for lunch, less vehicle maintainence, ect. I have been hunting MY way for 20 yrs now. If you want drive any distance at any cost, more power to you. My time and money are limited, now back to topic.