Thread: winterize 2 stroke outboard

Thanks

Default winterize 2 stroke outboard

I have a 1957 2 stroke 18 hrs Johnson outboard motor. I added sta-bil to the fuel and drove it around for several hours last sunday. Somebody told me that's all I have to do. Somebody else told me I don't have to do anything because it's a 2 stroke. People at my job just told me I have to drain the oil out of my lower unit. I am having trouble finding information on old, small, 2 stroke motors. Does anyone have a motor like this or maybe has had one and knows what to do?
    The only thing better than fishing is talking about fishing-ike

Thanks
    Thanked 4,227 Times in 1,863 Posts

I would make sure to drain and replace the lower unit oil. If you have any water in it then it may freeze and crack your lower unit. Always replace the oil, don't let it sit dry. This keeps the rust and junk from forming. I'm going to fog the cylinders this year. Pretty cheap stuff like 5 bucks a can. Looks easy. Also remove your battery and store it inside if possible.

The only 2 things keeping me from going pro are skill and luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MA Machine For This Useful Post:

iROCKBASS (11-20-2009)

Thanks

Thanks MA! I too am wondering if I should put away my boat. What kind of Oil should I use? Is it like changing oil in a car?
    The only thing better than fishing is talking about fishing-ike

Thanks

The draining of the oil is like changing oil/grease in the rear end of a car. Different technique. Just google changing lower unit oil outboard, should get you plenty of info

The one other thing I do is lower the motor as low as it will go and then turn it over (if elec. just tap the starter a few times. If rope pull it thru a couple of times.) This drains the water out of the water pump that cools the engine. Then store it in that vertical position. Depends on the type battery, I used to pull and store on boards with trickle charger. Now I have Optima and leave them in with the on board charger trickling them. I occasionally unplug the charger for a week or two at a time. Don't know if it makes any difference, but leaving a charger on all the time kind of gives me the willies. I fill the gas tank and add sea foam for the last drive home. Leave fuel lines hooked up. Mines injected so I don't do any fogging.
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
    Henry David Thoreau

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MURF For This Useful Post:

iROCKBASS (11-23-2009)

NEFGA Sponsor!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,032 Times in 1,262 Posts

You can buy a pump to refill your lower unit oil at the parts store or walmart. Just remove the lower drain screw and the upper vent screw to let the oil drain. Check for water when it drains, if you see any it could be time to put new seals in the lower unit. When you refill screw the pump tube into the BOTTOM hole in the lower unit. Pump the oil in until it starts running out the top hole. Remove the pump and replace the lower and upper screws. The gear oil is pretty thick so you won't loose any while you try to get the bottom screw back in. As far as gear oil goes any marine lower unit oil is fine. You replace it every year so you don't really need the super high speed full synhetic although feel free to use it if you like, it's not like you need very much. Make sure your screw gaskets are ok while your oil drains, if not replace.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bradh For This Useful Post:

iROCKBASS (11-23-2009)

Thanks

When the oil comes out the top hole, screw in the top screw first, then unscrew the pump and put in the bottom screw.
    Blues 6 -10s, 1-11, 1-12, 5-15s, 1-16, 1-27, 1-30, 1-32, 1-46, 2-51s

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dad O. For This Useful Post:

iROCKBASS (11-23-2009)

Thanks

You definitely want to drain the lower unit.

I don't know how necessary fogging a 2stroke is especially if it is stored in doors in Nebraska. If you live it a high humidity or saltwater area it probably would be necessary, but I know people who have 20 year old 2 strokes that are never fogged. It is just to keep the internals from rusting. I am sure a boat mechanic would tell you it needs fogged.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

just remembered I forgot to drain my lower end grease. GRRR! 80hp merc. Hope im not in trouble!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 588 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ty S View Post
    just remembered I forgot to drain my lower end grease. GRRR! 80hp merc. Hope im not in trouble!
    Unless you have a bad seal and got water in there, you'll be fine. I change my lower unit lube in the fall just to make sure there no water.
    You can always put a heater under it or wrap a heating pad around it for awhile and still get it done.
    Those big females are fat for a reason.- Release them.
    " Bowfishing - The Slime is Mine "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ty S View Post
    Haven't done mine yet either, I will be doing it next week. I used my boat right up untill freeze up so... now is the time. Do like whisker said and put a heater by your motor for an hour or so then drain it and re-fill with new. You should be fine!
    President Bowfishers of Nebraska