Thread: Hanging Shelves, No Wall Studs?

Thanks

Default Hanging Shelves, No Wall Studs?

My house is a modular home built in 1960. The wall that runs down the center, making a hallway, doesn't seem to have any studs. I've found one, but it's about 6 feet out from the corner of the room I want to put shelves in. What are the chances that there really are studs, but they're glued and not nailed so I just can't find them with my stud finder? There's a closet-sized space that I have a desk in, and I want to put shelves above the desk to utilize that space. They'd need to mount to that wall, though. One end of them, anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CanoeGuru View Post
    My house is a modular home built in 1960. The wall that runs down the center, making a hallway, doesn't seem to have any studs. I've found one, but it's about 6 feet out from the corner of the room I want to put shelves in. What are the chances that there really are studs, but they're glued and not nailed so I just can't find them with my stud finder? There's a closet-sized space that I have a desk in, and I want to put shelves above the desk to utilize that space. They'd need to mount to that wall, though. One end of them, anyway.
    There are electronic stud finders that can find wooden studs. You calibrate them on a spot that doesn't have a stud.

If nothing else, just take a small nail and start poking holes until you find one. I assume they would be spaced 16" apart...although I'm no expert on 1960 construction.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tjm For This Useful Post:

CanoeGuru (08-12-2009)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You need a very nice stud finder, once you find one stud a lot of residencal construction they will put wall stud's at 24" center's. But my house you find them at 16, 24 ,18 and it really make's it tuff to hang thing's where you want them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wettheworm For This Useful Post:

CanoeGuru (08-13-2009)

Director
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 930 Posts
    Blog Entries

Depending on how heavy of stuff you want to put on you shelf you could use toggle bolts into the drywall.
    Lidičky j� m�m r�d pivo!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frosch For This Useful Post:

CanoeGuru (08-13-2009)

Thanks

I know about toggle bolts, but sure would like to find some studs. There'll be at least some books. Not heavy, hard-bound books, but books.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks

I have some really neat shelving units, they mount one screw with a simple drywall plastic sleeve type thing, but the shelf mount uses a lower part that puts pressure against the wall. It holds a ton of weight by only drilling into the drywall alone. They are similar to this but minus the bottom mounting hole

Ekby Robert Shelf Bracket | Remodelista

10. The Following User Says Thank You to H2only For This Useful Post:

CanoeGuru (08-18-2009)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

check the baseboard near the floor. Many times builders nail the base boards into the studs.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to smokeybear z For This Useful Post:

CanoeGuru (08-18-2009)

Thanks

Thanks, I'll look into those!

No sign of nails in the baseboards, but the next thing I'll probably try is pulling the baseboard off to see if there are pencil marks or any other sign of studs under them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,946 Times in 582 Posts

Well,... you can use your knuckle or a hammer handle and start tapping down a sheetrock wall.
    "If you've got the ear for it" you will hear the sound change when you tap over a stud. Once you get the sound distinguished,...you'll get good at it.
    Last edited by whisker; 08-21-2009 at 08:11 AM.
    Those big females are fat for a reason.- Release them.
    " Bowfishing addict - The Slime is Mine "

Thanks

I've done the knuckle tapping thing. The wall sounds hollow except for one possible stud about 6 feet out from where I want to hang my shelves.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,946 Times in 582 Posts

Some of the things I've run across in many years of demolition/remodel are pretty wild.
    I wish I lived closer, I'd give you a hand.
    Those big females are fat for a reason.- Release them.
    " Bowfishing addict - The Slime is Mine "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whisker View Post
    Some of the things I've run across in many years of demolition/remodel are pretty wild.
    I wish I lived closer, I'd give you a hand.
    Your thoughtful offer to give me a hand if you lived closer is very much appreciated. I'll get it worked out at some point. My first priority at the moment is getting my new garbage disposal installed, anyway.

Thanks

Canoeguru Lot of those really old mobile homes had a frame made out of 2"x2" material framed like a checkerboard. This resulted in wall insulation of only 1 they were very cold, fuel was cheap. They mostly were wired with aluminum wiring a big problem. They didnt really have wall studs as such. You can check the thickness of the wall at a window to see if this is the case in your home. If the wall is 4"thick it has wall studs if only 2" thick has the other type of framing. A lot of the bracing in a 2" wall is horizontal. Normally the wall in this type of older framing was paneled with real plywood and the ends of the paneling fall on a wall framing member. The arrangement of the framing in this type is normally on 24" centers both horizontal and vertical. Taping with the butt of a hammer or with the base of the palm of your hand usually will show with the sound or firmness where you find a framing member. If your project is very heavy you might have to support from the floor up, or install a very wide plate to the wall to which you will fasten your hangers. Hope this helps.Luck

Thanks

CanoeGuru in my post I used the mark symbol instead of spelling out inches. Substute inches every time it shows &quot and maybe it will make sense to you. should have read 2 inches x 2 inches and 24 inches on center. Sorry about that. once again wish you luck.

Thanks

Thanks, Oldtimer! Great words of wisdom! One question: you said "mobile home" and mine's a modular home. It's not a trailer home. You knew that, right?