Thread: Installing a floor in my 14' boat

Thanks

Default Installing a floor in my 14' boat

I want to install some flooring and some storage on my small aluminum boat. What is a good material to use for that and where do I get it?
    "Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." - Mark Twain

Thanks

3/4" plywood. I put two coats of polyurethane enamel (oil paint) on mine. Should last for a darned long time -- especially stored inside.

You can try to get "marine grade" plywood but it will likely be expensive and the stores around Lincoln looked at me funny when I asked -- like they had never heard of it.

Watch out for the treated plywood. You will have to use treated screws and galvanized hardware if you go that route as treated plywood will eat regular screws and hardware. It will also negatively effect aluminum so make sure that if you use treated it is painted and covered with carpet too.

Too much of a pain for me. I used good quality untreated 3/4" plywood for the most part and painted the heck out of it and am confident it will last a LONG time.
    Last edited by burrodebo; 06-16-2009 at 03:40 PM.
    "We subscribe to the idea that there's no such thing as failure. There's just giving up. We do not give up. We are relentless." -- The Edge, U2

3. The Following User Says Thank You to burrodebo For This Useful Post:

fishinwithdad (06-16-2009)

Thanks

One other aspect of this I forgot to ask about: what works best to support the floor - like a floor joist in a house, except on a smaller scale - or is that not needed for something as thick as that?
    "Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." - Mark Twain

Thanks

Depends on how wide your beam is/how much space your plywood is spanning. 3/4" plywood is pretty stout. Cut the piece, put it in the boat and then stand/walk on it. If it gives too much, screw a 2X4 (or multiple 2x4s or 2X2s) to the underneath side of the flooring for support. This 2X4 can kind of rest on the ribs of the boat. Depending on how much clearance you have between the plywood and the bottom of your boat, you can even stand the 2X4 on end if you want.

Again, this brings in the importance of waterproofing the wood best you can with an oil based paint. I had good luck with Rust-Oleum polyurethane enamel. If those supports are underneath your floor they will likely spend some time (hard telling how much) wet and damp. Wouldn't take too long for those to get rotten.
    "We subscribe to the idea that there's no such thing as failure. There's just giving up. We do not give up. We are relentless." -- The Edge, U2

6. The Following User Says Thank You to burrodebo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I found a site last summer that had a pictorial going through building a bass boat out of a jon boat. I'll see if I can find what site it was.
    Is it duck season yet?

"Look, a pair of singles!"

Thanks

My Custom 14' Lowe Bass Jon Boat

Here's the one I mentioned. But there is also a ton of info on google about putting in decks and converting jons to bass boats.
    Is it duck season yet?

"Look, a pair of singles!"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BPbowhunter For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

Default right here buddy

I did the same thing on my 14' jon boat! definitley 3/4" treated plywood(watch out those things are heavy) take measurements and cut a rough shape w/ jigsaw. SLOWLY trim it down a bit at a time till it fits. If your boat is anything like me the walls are wrapped around the frame so there are no strait lines so take it little by little. I have 3/4 square bare ribs in mine if yours doesn't then just use 2x2's it's even easier because i had to mark out my ribs and drill it in w/ sheet metal screws. I know its common sense but Id feel bad if i didn't say it so... MAKE SURE YOUR SCREWS AREN'T TOO LONG!!!! after that I used astro turf. Coat the sheet with carpet glue then flip it over on to the astro turf and staple the tags to the under side of the sheet. If you have any notches or irregularities use v cuts to shape around, just like upolstry. The biggest problem I had when making storage in my jon boat was when i cut a hole in my back seat it was filled w/ foam. That was a pain in the ... to get out not to mention you should've heard my mother nagging about how dumb i was for taking out the flotation( I did this in my moms garage, more room) But like I told her I can swim, and a boat is pretty much worthless w/ out storage. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The River Rat For This Useful Post:

fishinwithdad (06-17-2009), ydoc (07-10-2009)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPbowhunter View Post
    My Custom 14' Lowe Bass Jon Boat

Here's the one I mentioned. But there is also a ton of info on google about putting in decks and converting jons to bass boats.
    man thats the smallest 115 ive ever seen!

Thanks

here is how I did mine, just a casting deck though.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H2only For This Useful Post:

fishinwithdad (06-22-2009), ydoc (07-10-2009)