Thread: Sandpit Crappie

Thanks

Default Sandpit Crappie

I'm going to a Sandpit up by the Platte this weekend, and intend to spend the majority of the weekend wetting a line. The water there is crystal clear and the hole is deep. I know there are crappie in there, seen a few from time to time cruising the shallows, but haven't caught any.

Does anyone have any tips on catching these tasty buggers?

**On a side note, structure in this lake is VERY limited.

Do you think that one of those lights you float next to the boat and shine in the water would help at all after dark? I've never really had any luck with them, but haven't used them extensively either.
    "Many Men Go Fishing All of Their Lives Without Knowing That It Is Not Fish They Are After."

Thanks

The best thing that works for me is a bobber and minnow and when the are biten really good tube jigs work also.

Thanks

In the pits we've been fishing, the crappie are spawning and are fairly shallow. It's deep and except for a few sunken trees, not much cover. We've been catching them on roadrunners or minnows. You might try drifting with minnows at different depths as well. Once you find em, you should get a mess of them.

Thanks

For what bait to use for crappie i like mini jigs, mepps spinners, live minnows and sometimes add a crappie nibble to the end of the hook to make them bite better. As for where they will be i am guessing they will be shallow like from 6 to 2 feet. Good luck and tell us how you do.
    Catch big or stay home!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 755 Posts

Sometimes sandpits are a pain, for the simple fact that they'll be suspended in open water. If you have electronics of any sort, they'll help you to mark fish. If not, it gets really tough. Start fishing any irregular structure, even if it is a tiny jut into the pit from shore. Find weeds/brush if it is clear enough and start methodically casting them. Keep on the move, or drift fish with a couple of slip floats at different depths. Something that we use a lot on suspended fish is drift fishing and casting small crankbaits. Rapala Countdowns are a must for suspended crappie.
    "If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach

Banned
    Thanks

they should be in spawning mode right now,just for kicks throw a pair of 1/16 oz. chartruse and white marabu jigs out from shore and count down 3 seconds,then slowly reel the jigs in nice and steady,at least until you feel the thump/tap on the line . this has been killer at my pit this year,went 28 casts in a row the other evening with a fish on every cast before I missed the hookset and started over. this works great early in the morning and late in the evening,during the afternoon slip bobbers set at 8 fow in 30 fow have been good. remember the fish you see up close are the little ones,the big ones are out a little deeper where you can't see them.

Thanks

I just got a few of these but haven't got to try them out yet. Maybee something like that could work in a pit like that.

Any color will work, as long as it is green pumpkin. - Roland Martin.