Thread: Scout Fish

Thanks

Default Scout Fish

I was cruising the web and found this article on crappie fishing and found it interesting. Is this legal in Nebraska? Also, I can also see it possibly working for other schooling fish such as white bass.

Once you catch the first fish stop the boat!

Know the secret tip to identify exactly where that school is located. Use the crappie you just caught and use him as a scout fish to find that school of hungry crappie:
    1. Run a hook thru the back of the crappie and make sure its not to deep so you don't kill the crappie by mistake. The hook needs to be attached to about 10ft of line with a bobber on the other end of the line.
    2. Let your scout fish lead you to the main crappie school. Just follow the floating bobber.
    3. VERY IMPORTANT Stay far enough behind your scout fish so you cannot be seen by the schooled crappie.
    4. When he gets back to his home and all his buddies in the school and probably his favorite structure area, cast your line into the area from a safe distance. (If you spook the fish you will have to start all over again in a different area.
    5. Keep fishing the general area until you fish it out. If you don't have enough fish, start the trolling for crappie exercise all over again at a different spot.
    6. You would be surprised how many fishermen never do step 6 and it is probably one of the most important step for future fishing trips. Mark the spot on your topographical map . If you have a GPS enter the coordinates immediately so you do not forget. Remember...you want to learn from every fishing trip.
    7. If you want to get real technical, put a dot for every fish that was caught at this location. And if you want to get even more technical, record the weather conditions .
    Store this tip in your crappie fishing arsenal, then the next time you go out fishing you can plan your trip using this trolling for crappie fish technique. Make sure you check with your local department of natural resources before you use a scout fish to make sure it is legal in your state.

Thanks

I'm not sure if it is or not. I've never thought of anything like that but it sounds like a good idea(if legal).

Thanks

I do that pretty regularly, except instead of crappie I use bluegill, and I want that bluegill to find a school of big flatties instead of his bluegill buddies.
    "Imagine how weird phones would look if your mouth was nowhere near your ears," Steven Wright

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye For This Useful Post:

Phishful Thinking (04-28-2009)

Thanks

Talking

Sounds kind of like Redneck micro chipping, lots cheaper................

I would give it a try..........Legal??

Thanks

Got this reply from Daryl B.

"I was cruising the web and found this article on crappie fishing and found it interesting. Is this legal in Nebraska? Also, I can also see it possibly working for other schooling fish such as white bass. "

Whatever.

There is nothing I know of that says such a practice would be illegal. Your "scout fish" would have to be counted as part of the bag limit, and I would hope folks would make darned sure their scout fish did not get away with a hook in it, towing a bobber.

You are assuming that your "scout fish" would behave normally and be able to keep up with the rest of the school, something I would doubt.

I thought of something else . . .

I could see where hooking up a "scout fish" as described could be interpreted as using a "float line" which is not permitted on Nebraska waters. I would say you better get an interpretation from a conservation officer before you try it.

Thanks

When I was just a wee lad, we did this with a snapping turtle accidentily. One of us got broke off by the turtle, this same turtle or one just as hungry kept cleaning our stringer and leaving us just the heads. While he was towing around the bobber we found a piece of hog fence and the next time he came in for a easy meal of bullheads, we scooped him up and two days later he was a wonderfull soup.
    All fish in my pics have either been released unharmed or fried to a delicious golden brown.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,366 Times in 567 Posts

I have read something similiar in outdoor life, or field and stream. The only difference is they suggested using a small balloon tied line attached to a snap swivel that was hooked in the upper part of their mouth. I think i would just rather use them attached to a pole as flathead bait though.
    A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child fish.....

Thanks

This sounds like a good idea. But the more I think about it, I cant help but think of all the structure crappie hang out in. I know in the ponds I fish the crappie are snugging submerged trees and that bobber/balloon would not make it too long without getting hung up.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It would be a good idea, except that the crappie with a hook in his back pulling an anchor (to the surface) would not behave anything like normal. This would be an awesome way to teach people to leave MORE monofilament around the lake though

Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 755 Posts

This might be the stupidest idea I've ever read in regards to trying to catch fish. If it isn't illegal, it ****ed well should be.
    "If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach