Thread: Best buy for the $$$ on ice fishing flasher

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Best buy for the $$$ on ice fishing flasher

As posted in my report from a day on the ice, I was schooled by someone with a flasher/vexlar/fishfinder/sonar or whatever they are called.

Will you folks that own them give me your opinion and cost?

I am looking for a bargain but realize you get what you pay for. I would like one that can also be used in the summer if my dream of becoming a boat owner ever comes true.

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

PS. If you can tell me the long/lat of where you caught and released a MA bass this winter it would also be appreciated.
    Sorry, I just had to voice my opinion on the Refuge lake specific location disclosure by a witness this week. I usually am pretty free with my reports but they are MY reports. I would never blow a member's attempt to conceal a hot spot. That was rude. I did go a bit undercover with my last report. I want those big gills to grow into monster ones. Tough to do in Eastern Nebraska Metro areas. But my exact long/lat could be determined based on my fishing report history and the tidbits I did share. I guess I'm just a sharing kind of person.

Please pan fry the little ones and throw back the big ones!

Thanks
    there's nothing better then the great outdoors

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Magnus the big dog wrote:
    I'll tell you what, Jim...I've been pimping the Marcum VX-1 that I got from Wolf Tackle down here in Lincoln ever since I first put it on the ice. I LOVE it. For an "entry level" priced unit, it has some fantastic features that you have to spent another $100-$150 on if you went with Vexilar. The bottom-zoom feature is fantastic, and the Interference Rejection makes fishing alongside another flasher much easier. It was the best $250 I ever spent for fishing. If I had to choose between spending that kind of money on a flasher vs. spending it on a power auger, I'd take the flasher every day of the week. I'm actually considering buying a 2nd flasher for my buddies when they come fishing with me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Huskeron View Post
    Magnus the big dog wrote:
    I'll tell you what, Jim...I've been pimping the Marcum VX-1 that I got from Wolf Tackle down here in Lincoln ever since I first put it on the ice. I LOVE it. For an "entry level" priced unit, it has some fantastic features that you have to spent another $100-$150 on if you went with Vexilar. The bottom-zoom feature is fantastic, and the Interference Rejection makes fishing alongside another flasher much easier. It was the best $250 I ever spent for fishing. If I had to choose between spending that kind of money on a flasher vs. spending it on a power auger, I'd take the flasher every day of the week. I'm actually considering buying a 2nd flasher for my buddies when they come fishing with me.

Is it 'ice ready' at $250? battery? transducer? any extras?
    And can it be used in a boat during the Summer?

Jim

Thanks
    Blog Entries

My vote would be an fl-8. They are about 280$. And are perfect for eastern NE lakes. More expensive models offfer zoom and all that but most lakes I fish are shallower so bottom zoom is useless.

Rob

Thanks

Most of the flashers that you would use for ice fishing can also be used in your boat in the summer. You'll need to buy a different transducer and maybe a mounting bracket depending on the model, and an extra power cord would be nice so you don't need to mess with the wiring, but it can be done.

One unit you might want to consider for ice fishing is the Showdown Digital FishFinder. An immediate drawback to it is that it's not a unit that you would use on your boat ..... but for ice fishing it is a great unit and very effective, one of lowest priced options out there, compact and self contained and comes with everything you need to hit the ice.

If you don't like the Showdown, any of the entry level flashers from Marcum (VX-1P), Vexilar (FL-8) or Humminbird (Ice 35) would treat you well. I prefer Marcum myself and you get more features and I think better performance with Marcum, but tons of guys are loyal to Vexilar and the FL-8 is a proven performer. The Humminbird flashers are new this year but have a lot of happy users up here in MN. I really think you cannot buy a bad flasher these days, and as you noted in post any electronics for ice fishing will greatly increase the number of fish you catch.

If you want, you can check out all these units at Ice Fishing Flashers.

Thanks

I just bought the Vexilar fl-12 ultra pack this year. Holy crap I can't believe I have been fishing without one of these for so many years. It totally changes Ice fishing. Can't tell you anything about the other brands out there but I did do a lot of research on Vexilar's before I bought the fl-12. The top dog would be the fl-20 but the only difference between the 20 and the 12 is the extra zoom. The 12 seems to be one of the easiest to operate and comprehend what you are seeing on the bottom.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I will say I've tried my Vex on my boat in open water. I wasn't impressed. It will work for depth and seeing fish but does not work like I use it on ice. Could not find my lure on the flasher because you have to keep it directly below transduceer which is almost impossible with any kind of wind.

Rob

Thanks

I've rocked the FL-12 for 2 seasons and it hasn't steered me wrong. Last year was the first time i was fishing in over 20ft of water and still had no problems with separation. Although, If I had zoom I probably would have used it. Never used a Marcum but have heard good things about both. I believe Marcum has better separation than the Vex and the Showdown has the best separation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Huskeron View Post
    Is it 'ice ready' at $250? battery? transducer? any extras?
    And can it be used in a boat during the Summer?

Jim
    It's ice ready at $250. You'd have to talk to Glen down at Wolf for the dead on-price. I bought mine and a hut at the same time, so I'm not 100% certain of the price...but I know it was within a few bucks of that number.

It has the battery...the transducer (wide angle cone)...and a carrying case. You can pick up a soft pack for a few dollars more, also. Again, it's cheaper than the base model vexilar (FL-8) but has features like bottom zoom that you can't get in a vex without shelling out big bills.
    Oh man! I just shot Marvin in the face!

Thanks

You can buy a reconditioned Vexilar fl-8se directly from the factory complete with a standard 2 year factory warranty, ready for the ice for $229.00 plus 8.50 shipping. I bought one last season and now would rather fish without a rod & reel than without my vex.

No problems, excellent customer service.
    I can't put in a direct link because I am a n00b, but the web site for the reconditioned unit is:

vexilar.com, then just look in the drop down for "Factory reconditioned"

Thanks

I LOVE MY VEXILAR FL-12 !!! THIS IS THE SECOND SEASON USING IT AND I DONT THINK I COULD HIT THE ICE WITHOUT IT. I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO TRYING IT OUT ON THE OPEN WATER THIS SPRING AS WELL.

Thanks

you should also check ebay. i got my lx-3 for right around 250. it was in perfect condition and the battery still holds a strong charge
    Shush your mouths, you old poops.

Thanks

i used a camera for awhile. just bought a marcum lx3-tc for $400 and used it the first time this weekend. i think i caught just as many fish as i would of if i used a camera but the camera has its flaws. first of all the battery doesnt last long(6hrs). i used the flasher for 8hrs and still had 70% of the battery left. the camera doesn't work well in low light and you have to have the camera cable so far down the hole that by time the fish comes to the surface you have to untangle the line from the cable. if you catch something big, you have to pull the camera up first and fast. you dont have to do that with a flasher. i will always use the flasher for now on.

Thanks

Default flasher

I got a hummingbird x67c. I love it!!!! It has both the flasher and a greph so it could be year round. It has increased my catch tremendously.
    Matt

Thanks

Default Vx1

I have fished with both a vexilar FL8 and a marcum VX1. They both perfom equally well. It really comes down to the "extras" (battery charge indicator, soft cases, many other options to pick from), since they both work equally well in showing you the fish. That said, I own a marcum VX1. An absolutely huge advantage of the VX1 is the "zoom" feature that lets you zoom in on the bottom 5 feet. That feature WILL help you catch more fish. The only, and I mean only things that I would change about it is its rectangular shape, which almost, but doesn't quite fit in a 5 gallon bucket, and personally, I like marcum's float style transducer a little more.
    The new vexilars redesigned screen may be another plus. So my advice is if $ are a concern, save some $ and buy the marcum, you will not be dissapointed.

After reading earlier posts, I can't help mentioning that the battery holds a charge much better than I ever anticipated. I would suspect that the earlier post is related to a battery issue, not the flasher's power useage. I have used my VX1 for three 4-6 hour trips in a week before charging it, and I didn't have to charge it, I just remembered that I hadn't for a week or so.

Thanks

we have fished from 7am to 8pm on a single charge with the lx-3 and it still had a little life left after the day... not much but not completely dead
    Shush your mouths, you old poops.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 470 Posts

Lots of good posts and information here from people who know what they're talking about.

I am painfully thrifty (or outright cheap, not to mention poor) and also I always over-do it on researching stuff before I buy it.

I've come to the conclusion that when I buy one it will be a Vex, and I'm going to buy one as soon as I can.

There are many reasons I've settled on the Vexilar, but among them, Ice Team helps support our programs at Recycled Fish, which means Vexilar helps support our programs, and buying from companies who give back is an important part of the decision making process, if you ask me.
    NEFGA is endorsed by Recycled Fish

You can be a Fish Recycler too...let 'em swim.
    Recycled Fish

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Fish Recycler For This Useful Post:

Bass-Assassin (01-05-2009)