Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catfishing Rods, Reels, and Tackle

Thanks

I am just wondering what your typical catfish setup looks like. Rod, reel, line, and all that good stuff.

Director
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 564 Posts

I run a two rod setup, first rod is a Shakespear heavy action ugly stick with a Quantum open face reel with 20 lb big cat line the second is my favorite, I run a Shakespear heavy action ugly stick with an Abu Garcia 6500 C3 baitcaster reel with 30 lb big cat line.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

2, 6' Shakespeare Ugly Sticks.
    2, Abu Garcia 5600s.
    Line varies.

Banned
    Thanks

I run 2 7' Ugly Sticks
    Both abu 5600's
    50lb Spider on one
    20lb XL line on the other

I run circles hooks on both rigs, and the weith varries on the weather and distance.

I try to use as little weight as possible.

Thanks

6'9" MH Abu Garcia Muskie Rod
    6600 Abu with 65# Power Pro

9' Surf Rod (Flatties)
    Daiwa Saltwater Spinning with #65 Power Pro

Thanks

I am just wondering what your typical catfish setup looks like. Rod, reel, line, and all that good stuff.
    Around (4) very large spinning reels [remember you get what you pay for] ... (4) very nice sturdy one-piece rods , I despise two-piece rods for big Cat , they have that ever so special "breaking point" that if it hasn't happened to you yet , it's only a matter of time ...

I also have (2) PENN 309's that are placed on again one-piece Glass Cat St Croix rods that I bought at the boat show quite a few years back that are extremely strong and unlike many I prefer rods with a very strong backbone rather than rods with flex , I do most of my fishing in the Missouri River and none of the gear I mentioned above has ever done we wrong , however it took quite awhile to learn what gear works best while chasing large Cat at the River ...

A big Blue or a big Flathead can & will destroy many setups merely because no matter what you choose to go with , I'm a very big believer in that if you muscle a big Cat too much , "something will always give" ...

Director
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 927 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have two baitrunner type spinner reels, pretty big, on 9' Berkley rods and then I have a Abu 6500 and 7000 on Catfish Ugly Sticks, 7' and 8'. I use the baitcasters more, but I like the spinners too.

Can you legally catch and cut up a bluegill for bait when fishing in Nebraska?

Yes, you may. But not on any lake where there is already a length limit in place on bluegills. Fortunately, there is no a length limit in place on bluegills on most lakes in Nebraska. Please consult your current NGPC fishing guide for details!
    Become the change in the world that you seek.

Thanks

Penn 209 on Ugly Stick Catfish baitcast rod.
    Quantum Catalyst 40PTi Inshore on Ugly Stick Catfish spinning rod.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,012 Times in 469 Posts

Ugly stick lite med action
    6500c3 garcia bait caster
    Stealth spider wire 4/15 or 6/20
    deep diving cranks:zlipsseal
    Just cuz you've got a brush dont make you a painter

Eighty percent of success is showing up.

RECOVERING NICOTINE ADDICT SINCE April 6th 2008

Thanks

Abu Garcia baitcasters. Need to replace my favorite 6500. Aslo have a 5600, a 7000, a 5000, a nice old Pfleuger. match these reels to a varety of rods. I used to use nice sturdy muskie sticks and still do sometimes, but have really taken a liking to the 7.5' Scheels trolling rods.

Super limber tip but lots of backbone. The limber tip helps the circle hook rotate easier and I beleve reduces the chance of tearing the hook out of a fish's mouth. I've got Okuma Magda DX20 baitcasters on these rods and the clickers are really loose but loud which I like too. Sometimes clickers let out line way too hard and I believe smaller fish (25"-29") can feel that resistance. (When a bigger cat hammers the bait it doesn't make much difference though). I've got 30# Spiderwire on these reels.

These are nice rigs because I can troll and still fish for cats with the same setup and not give much away in either scenario.

PS: If you like your rigs, make sure to secure them quickly and securely or you will lose one sooner or later. In my case it happened last year and it was a $200 lesson.
    "We subscribe to the idea that there's no such thing as failure. There's just giving up. We do not give up. We are relentless." -- The Edge, U2

Thanks

I have 4 catfish rigs.

1 Shakespeare Tidewater with 25lb "Big Cat" on it... stuck on a 8' Berkley Reflex rod. (with 30lb braided leader)
    1 Cabelas King Cat 7' outfit with 20lb Cajun line. (With 30lb braided leader)
    1 6 1/2' Whuppin Stick with a Sedonna with 14lb Trilene Smooth casting
    1 6 1/2 that I dont remember, with 14lb test line.

:zcoffee:

Thanks

PS: If you like your rigs, make sure to secure them quickly and securely or you will lose one sooner or later. In my case it happened last year and it was a $200 lesson.
    Very wise words ...

Thanks

i have two big cat poles that i use for tourneys and pleasure fishing,

1, 6'6 heavy action fenwick jig with blue runner spinning reel, wrapped with 100 Lb. spider wire.

1, 6,6 heavy action whuppin salt stick with depthmaster reel, and 50 pound big game line.

Thanks

I like the Catmaxx rods at BPS with there Spinning reels and I have an 12' ugly stick heavy action spinning rod I have to use 2 piece just for the simple fact of transportation. These are the rods I use in the summer for my cattin I have a few others that are suppose to be for blue fishing but I haven't got out to try them out yet.

Banned
    Thanks

Spiderman 2.5' w/ 4LB test, now THATS a challenge! :zclap: :zgoofey:

Banned
    Thanks

Willows cut in 7' lenths, 150# braided masons twine 6-10" long, 2 hooks medium size, and for the weight four links of 3/8" chain. Total cost about a buck, and every bit as effective as the fancy stuff ............JIM

Thanks

Bo, I didn't hear the story about you loseing a rig. A big cat? I lost two, and about a month later, a fellow angler returned one to me. A month in a sand pit sure plugs up a reel.

To answer the question, I have about 20 rigs of all ranges and sizes. The 7000 C4's with a clicker are sure nice.Cats up to 15#'s I like to take on an ultra light with 4#. I think the only way this is possible is that I have more line on my reel than the pond is in size. Although, I did catch a 32"er at Cedar Bluffs (near Hayes KS) two years ago on the ultra lite. I was fishing for crappie when he hit. I think the key is go have line in excellent condition, a good knot, and a smooth reel. If you can stay away from the snags, you'd be surprized what is possible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Boy
    Bo, I didn't hear the story about you loseing a rig. A big cat? I lost two, and about a month later, a fellow angler returned one to me. A month in a sand pit sure plugs up a reel.

To answer the question, I have about 20 rigs of all ranges and sizes. The 7000 C4's with a clicker are sure nice.Cats up to 15#'s I like to take on an ultra light with 4#. I think the only way this is possible is that I have more line on my reel than the pond is in size. Although, I did catch a 32"er at Cedar Bluffs (near Hayes KS) two years ago on the ultra lite. I was fishing for crappie when he hit. I think the key is go have line in excellent condition, a good knot, and a smooth reel. If you can stay away from the snags, you'd be surprized what is possible.
    About 11:30 PM at Wagontrain. My father in law was tossing a topwater bait because something very large kept swirling by the boat. Well one of the hooks from the topwater bait caught the line on one of my cat rigs as he was casting and we had a huge tangle but no rods overboard at this point.. I was helping him pick it out when all of a sudden we hear "clunk, splash." Just that quick. In the confusion I had forgotten to put on my clicker on the other rod and had not put the rod in a rod holder.

It just blows me away how quickly a cat will take a rod and reel into the drink, and it doesn't even have to be a big cat. That cat might have been 8-10 pounds at most and he took that rig overboard in a split second.
    "We subscribe to the idea that there's no such thing as failure. There's just giving up. We do not give up. We are relentless." -- The Edge, U2

Thanks

I use Eagle Cat Claw M/H 8 foot poles. Zebco 888 wit 25# berkley big game and a large Shakespeare spinner with the same line. Those are just for cats. I always take an extra pole or two. Light rigs to catch bait, and carp. Catching a large carp on a light rig gives me a huge adrenaline rush!
    I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me to do.

Thanks

In 2005, and again this year, all my cats came on 9-ft., 5-wt. flyrods. But the big uglies are in for some serious trouble next year. I found a source for flies that look exactly like rabbit poop, and Santa is bringing me an 8-wt. outfit.