Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Make a Tapered Furled Leader

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SKershaw View Post
    I apologize for the poor directions for furling. I really have a hard time explaining a process that needs to be shown.

In addition, I timed the article posting at a bad time... right when finals were starting. The daily rectal exams will be over tomorrow and I will be thinking much clearer by then.

Sorry for the inconveniences,

Scott
    Scott,don't beat yourself up over one sentence in what otherwise is the best illustrated, most complete and clear description of furled leaders available anywhere on the internet. I've looked at dozens of sites in the past two years and not one of them is better.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldBaldGuy View Post
    Scott,don't beat yourself up over one sentence in what otherwise is the best illustrated, most complete and clear description of furled leaders available anywhere on the internet. I've looked at dozens of sites in the past two years and not one of them is better.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Finally produced some good fishable leaders last night.

One tip that might be helpful: I tied my perfection loops while the paper clips were still on the line. This prevented any untwisting and just made things a little easier.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    Finally produced some good fishable leaders last night.

One tip that might be helpful: I tied my perfection loops while the paper clips were still on the line. This prevented any untwisting and just made things a little easier.
    Chad, I just put a simple overhand granny at the very end, for the exact reason you cited, then cut off the paper clip with a nail clippers. Sometimes I'll do three or four leaders in a row before tying my perfection loops on any of them.

Thanks

I finally built my jig but I'm having trouble gettting a functional leader. Does the line stay around the 3rd peg while making the initial furl? What is really going on with the wraps around the 3rd and 4th pegs back to the 2nd? Could someone please explain that in more detail? With the left side of the leader being shorter from the twisting, how does one get both paper clips on one hook without getting slack in either side? Mine are a mess. Is this really a one person process or do I need someone to hold the weight? I've used about 400 yards of line and I have one product that kindof resembles a functional leader. I know this process is probably better demonstrated in person, but I'm at the other end of the state from most of you. Please help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dreamin of fishin View Post
    I finally built my jig but I'm having trouble gettting a functional leader. Does the line stay around the 3rd peg while making the initial furl? What is really going on with the wraps around the 3rd and 4th pegs back to the 2nd? Could someone please explain that in more detail? With the left side of the leader being shorter from the twisting, how does one get both paper clips on one hook without getting slack in either side? Mine are a mess. Is this really a one person process or do I need someone to hold the weight? I've used about 400 yards of line and I have one product that kindof resembles a functional leader. I know this process is probably better demonstrated in person, but I'm at the other end of the state from most of you. Please help.
    dreamin, I'd like to help you, but the part of your message I've highlighted suggests you need to go back and read through Scott's instructions more carefully. I say that because there is no way, if someone follows Scott's directions, to twist only "the left side" of the leader. The two "sides" are extended to form one long extent of leader before any twisting occurs, so there's no way to only twist half of the long length and not the other half; that would be like tying a rope to a doorknob, holding the other end in your hand, and trying to twist only the half of the rope nearest you.

Thanks

After rereading I think I can see what I have been doing wrong. I was tying in the left and right sides with an incorrect wrap. I'll try again and see how it goes. By the way, do you just use regular mono for a tippet on a leader of this type? What length and size do you tend to use most often?

Thanks

Hope your re-tries go better, guy! I know how frustrating it can be as I still screw up an average of one-in-five. My favorite mistake is twisting the leader on my drill just 5 seconds too long; makes an amazing little bird's nest on the end of the drill.

My rule-of-thumb on tippet is to go "halvzies." For leaders built of 2-lb. test line, the tippet end of the leader has six strands, so theoretically, it's about 12-lb. test. (Theoretically, because twisting the line probably diminishes its strength a little.) I usually add about 3 feet of 6-lb. test line as tippet, using the same type of line that I used to build the leader (ie, either Trilene XL or Vanish). For my catfish/carp leaders, I build them with 4-lb. test Vanish and add 3 feet of 12-lb. test Vanish as the tippet. For pike, I'd add just a foot of either 30-lb. mono or the coated wire since pike aren't leader shy.

Thanks

Default UPDATE: Jig building instructions...

Thanks to Graphic-Design-Guru-Slimdog, we have a nice picture for building the furling jig.

I plan on gathering this all up into a flowing, readable set of instructions as a tutorial.

Thanks a ton, Slimdog!!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SKershaw For This Useful Post:

OldBaldGuy (11-18-2008), vrentropy (11-18-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,053 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Blog Entries

yeah, I read, and re-read this thing twice, I'm going to have to observe this in action. I'm a slow learner, I rode the short bus.....
    Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Gone, but never forgotten!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holdemplyer View Post
    yeah, I read, and re-read this thing twice, I'm going to have to observe this in action. I'm a slow learner, I rode the short bus.....
    I'm planning on building a few this week, Holdem. Let me know if you'd like to help.

Thanks

I never appreciated ice-fishing season until I started building leaders... it's great to have such a vast selection of low pound test mono and fluoro. I have a spool of golden yellow, blue, red, and many shades of clear. I am gonna give the Berkley Fireline a try too... I have read that you can detect strikes much better!!!

When's the furling party?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,227 Times in 1,863 Posts

I believe you have the Skills and Qualities to produce a book on fly tying and fly fishing. I would very seriously give it a shot!

The only 2 things keeping me from going pro are skill and luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MA Machine View Post
    I believe you have the Skills and Qualities to produce a book on fly tying and fly fishing. I would very seriously give it a shot!
    Great idea. There's no reason such a book would have to include a chapter entitled "Catching Fish."

Thanks

Just found this and thought it may help some people.....

.`.`..`.><(((>

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fly-Boy-Wray For This Useful Post:

centerx (02-01-2010), holdemplyer (02-01-2010), SKershaw (02-01-2010), Slimdog (02-01-2010)

Director
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,916 Times in 924 Posts
    Blog Entries

Isn't that cool?

Director
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,216 Posts

Default Furling Jig for 4 1/2' Leaders

The dimensions for the furling jig below will produce a leader approximately 4 to 5 feet long.

Thanks to SKershaw and Fly-Boy-Wray for their info.

Slim

Thanks

how long does it take to make one leader from start to finish? assuming the jig is ready to go
    Shush your mouths, you old poops.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,053 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by epb35085 View Post
    how long does it take to make one leader from start to finish? assuming the jig is ready to go
    It took OBG about 10 minutes I think.... I took me about 15.
    Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Gone, but never forgotten!

Thanks

Can someone help me on this please??????