Thread: Georgia Giants, Should you buy them?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 529 Posts

Default Georgia Giants, Should you buy them?

Georgia Giants, Should you buy them? - Pond Boss Forum

Here's a thread in regards to Georgia Giants, which are a hybrid sunfish that some people in Nebraska have talked about possibly buying.

If you've heard of "Hogzilla", then you're familiar with Ken Holyoke, who is the originator of the so-called "Georgia Giant" bream.

Just take it for what it's worth.

Thanks

I know I read about "Georgia Giants" in a Field and Stream magazine some 20 or 30-plus years ago. Very hyped-up, kind of like the "mean-mouth" bass hybrids (whatever happened to them?). I'll have to go and dig through my archives to see what they said back then.

Bummer about the customer service end... Caveat Emptor and all that, eh?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sorry to read this.
    If I owned the business, I would personally deliver you as many fish as you wanted within reason. When I pulled up to your pond, I'd get out with a big smile and hardy handshake, ready to get to work with you. I would document the whole thing with pictures, video and testimonials. I would do everything in my power to see those fish reach their full potential. When they did reach that full potential, I would know that thousands of Pond Boss guys across the country would hear about it and be clamoring to get their fish.

It's really not complicated.

Are there any success stories about these fish?

Thanks

Caveat emptor--Definitely. My own fault that I purchased them. I'd just like to see that nobody else gets burned. I've gotten so much great information out of the NEFGA forum, and I know we try to stay positive, but this was really a bad (and avoidable) situation.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,363 Times in 758 Posts

Live and learn Aquaman, thanks for the warning about Kens's Fish Farms. Personally I think if any type of BG hybrid has chance a breaking 5 lbs. it will be a Bluegill x Redear Sunfish cross. The best chance will come from parents that have been selectively bred for fast growth.
    Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the circus.....

Thanks

After reading through the entire thread, I have only one question:
    Who the hell is "Sweet" Condello?

Nebraska:Where men are men and sheep are afraid.
    Thanks

Did you report them to the BBB? Columbus, GA: Check Out a Business or Charity

Thanks

Take this for what it's worth, but in the fall of 05' I purchased 1,000 Georgia Giants from Ken's fish farm and I am satisfied with the results thus far, however they were in much better shape than the ones pictured on the link. I also ordered 5,000 Gambusia minnows at this time and they fared well also. These fish were shipped overnight in bags w/oxygen on fed-ex. Only 1 of the Giants was lost and about 50 of the minnows did not survive. Not bad! (about 1/10 of 1 percent). When I stocked the Georgia Giants they were 1"-2" size and those fish are reaching 8"+ right now w/out a feeder.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hav2hunt View Post
    Take this for what it's worth, but in the fall of 05' I purchased 1,000 Georgia Giants from Ken's fish farm and I am satisfied with the results thus far, however they were in much better shape than the ones pictured on the link. I also ordered 5,000 Gambusia minnows at this time and they fared well also. These fish were shipped overnight in bags w/oxygen on fed-ex. Only 1 of the Giants was lost and about 50 of the minnows did not survive. Not bad! (about 1/10 of 1 percent). When I stocked the Georgia Giants they were 1"-2" size and those fish are reaching 8"+ right now w/out a feeder.

I'm really happy that you had a good experience. Keep in mind that I'm not disparaging the fish. Any hybrid sunfish that comes in good condition and lives in good water will probably do really well. I'm mostly concerned about the customer service aspect after a problem has already occurred.

I definitley appreciate any comments good or bad.

Thanks.

Director
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,760 Times in 917 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sorry about your bad experience with the fish farm. Who needs Georgia Giants when you have CSBG anyway.
    Lidičky j� m�m r�d pivo!

Thanks

I hear that, buddy.

Thanks

Default Guidelines for live fish buyers

Just happened on this two year old case where a fish buyer accepted delivery of sick georgia giants. Having experience with the company in question, I may be able to give some friendly advice.

1. Know your fish hatchery by reputation or visit it if you can before fish purchase. (That usually means buy in you own river basin or at least your own region. However, many fish hatcheries are successful with out-of-region sales by only sending high qualilty fish on their trucks.)

2. Understand the fish replacement policy before you buy. (Most hatcheries replace fish that are lost in the first few days after stocking. However, fish hatcheries are not charities, they are for-profit. It is extremely costly to make up small quantities of fish.)

3. Be present on the fish delivery date. (This buyer was present and saw that the fish were disease, but accepted them anyway. Do not follow his example. Refuse the fish when signs of disease are visible, the disease will not get better and will usually spread to any fish you have in the pond. Also, accepting the fish tells the hatchery that you thought the fish were okay on delilvery and weakens you case for replacement fish.)

4. When you see diseased fish on the truck, you should contact your state department of natural resources fisheries division and report it. Most states have laws that restrict shipment of sick fish, especially across state lines. (With some new diseases of viral nature entering the pond fish marketplace, it is my opinion that fish buyers should be more vigilant than ever for signs of disease in fish shipments.)

I have seen many happy customers of Ken's fish hatchery, however, the quality control of this hatchery needs to improve or their business reputation will suffer more than it already has. I have worked with Georgia hatcheries for over 20 years and repeated attempts to get certain hatcheries to adopt proactive disease prevention have had limitted success. The need to generate a cash flow may be enough pressure to make a hatchery take a shortcut that reduces fish quality.

I hope this is constructive advice that will allow people to continue interstate fish shipments, but it applies to in-state shipments as well.
    Last edited by georgiacatfish; 02-19-2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Just checking to see if it posted.